South Taranaki 1/9

Go on then, tell us your stories...
YakDr
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU4103

It was a chilly start on Saturday morning with me being at the carpark before first light. |-) By the time I had got my gear sorted and together it was light enough for me to at least see the oncoming waves to know how wet I was about to get. :sweat:
I was paddling the Ultra 4.3 I won in the Bayfisher magazine comp a couple of months ago for the first time. The weather just hasn’t been playing ball enough for me to get out this winter. Awesome prize so thanks very much to Bayfisher Magazine, Ocean Kayak/Johnson Outdoors and ENL. :clap:
I was also using my newly acquired GoPro for the first time but unfortunately didn’t quite have the lineup correct so there isn’t much usable footage. Will learn for next time!
I managed to get out through the surf without too much incident and proceeded to paddle out to my chosen location.
Paddle out
Paddle out
There was a reasonable offshore wind blowing which was making it cold and a tad choppy - enough to think maybe I wouldn’t stay out for long. My GPS batteries died about 2mins into the paddle (damn it I knew I should have changed them) so randomly chose a spot at roughly the same depth. Didn’t even use the fishfinder in my decision.
I had trolled a kawhai feather and fly combination out in the hope of picking up some fresh bait but no-one was home. Anchored up and flicked out two straylines, both weighted with just ¼ oz - there was so little current they just sank to the bottom.
After about 20mins the current changed direction and significantly picked up and I had to up the weights to 1oz to get them drifting down. Only 5mins after I had cast out again the first rod was off with a good screaming run. Immediate thought was “shark” - I can’t be that lucky to get onto a reasonable snapper. After a decent tussle up popped a nice 9-10lb fish. Stoked!! Oh the dilemma - the first fish of the day - to put it back or not. The problem was solved when I found it had swallowed the hook. Dinner sorted. Second fish was a nice cod. No doubt there. Yum!! :rock: :rock:
What followed was a pretty awesome snapper session where for a lot of it I was only being able to fish one rod because I would hook up as it neared the bottom. When ever I had a chance to reel in the other line the bait had been stolen. At one point I was reeling in the only kawhai of the day and had a snapper hookup on the other line. I dropped the kawhai rod in the holder and prayed it would behave itself while winding in the snapper. Luckily there was enough current it was quite happy to sit off over yonder out of my way until I could get back to dealing with it.
The really surprising thing of the day was the lack of sharks. I caught two carpet bag sharks and that was the total for the day. No big greys/seven gillers and no spikey dogs. Hoorah!!
By the time I had 7 snapper, 1 cod and a kawhai in the boot and having released two good snapper I was getting to think about heading for home but not before one last screaming run and an awesome tussle with a great snapper. I am gutted the camera doesn’t show anything other than this huge white shape coming up beside the bow of the kayak so it is hard to get an indication of size but because of what happened next I guess it would have been around the 7kg mark. Should have been more but quite a skinny fish. What an awesome buzz to see it swim off strongly.
Ok so one more bait. Dropping.... dropping... dropping....  peeling faster... fish on? Lock drag up and FISH ON! This fish again had me thinking shark similar to the last one with long strong runs out across the sea floor. An even bigger fish than the last. Up onto my lap to remove the hook which came easily and then spent ages trying to revive him (off the video over 7 minutes) but it wasn’t to be and he had to come home with me. What a kill joy after the buzz of seeing the last one swim off. I sat there for quite some time until I packed up, lifted the anchor and paddled for home all the time feeling gutted.
7.5kg, 77cm long
7.5kg, 77cm long
I survived a massive sideways surf in through the breakers upright despite all my fish on the stringer going over the side as the rear well and cockpit all flooded with water and floated them out. The awesome surf in gave me a bit of buzz back and back on the beach I was relieved to see the fish again and realise it actually wasn’t as big as I had thought and would be beautiful smoked.
So an awesome day out which was only meant to be a paddle to get me out on the water for some RnR. Plenty of fish shared around both fresh fillets and smoked.
Big fish weighed 7.5kg, 77cm long
The kill shot
The kill shot
Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sounds like a great day on the water :y:
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Master Baiter
Kayak Make: OK
Kayak Model: Fishing Frenzy
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3166

Nice TR, awesome fish :y: well done
Pobodys Nerfect
PROFISH 440
ZMU3166
YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Great tr and pics..looks like you had a great day on the water..nice fish that 7.5 kegger :y:....
Fletcher
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9362

Awesome :rock:
Yak PBs. | Snapper: 20.7lb | Trevally: 11lb | Kingfish: 13kg | Brown Trout: 5.5lb | Albacore Tuna: 4.6kg | John Dory: 2.0lb | Blue Cod: 34cm | Skipjack Tuna: 4.4lb | Eagle Ray: 10kgish | Red Snapper: 4.1lb | Grandfather Hapuka: 7.1lb | Pigfish: 3.7lb |
Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Awesome fish! and a great tr well done :y:
Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Nice, well done :y:
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774
Master Baiter
Kayak Make: OK
Kayak Model: Fishing Frenzy
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3166

Still cant decide which is sexier ............. The Snapper or the 4.3 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pobodys Nerfect
PROFISH 440
ZMU3166
MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Stunning fish mate. great TR.
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...
Jamie D
Kayak Make: Profisha 525
Kayak Model: Stealth
VHF Call Sign: Warpig

How good is that photo.
Bushman
Kayak Model: 440
VHF Call Sign: bushman

Nice fish there, waiting patiently for time off once calving finishes to get out my self, was that off kaupok?
Jeff666
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Awesome mate good tr and lovely photo :y: :y:
Old Town Predator 13
On the way The Old Town Predator PDL
paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Good stuff , I found the Metal Hydride rechargeable batteries are the go in the handheld GPS as they last much better , and you do have to feed em batteries as experienced Search & rescue mates and hunters have told me , so take extras .
Also the new GPS units like the Garmin GPS Map 62 have a electronic compass that you can't turn off and that drains them too along with high display lighting level and frequency of fixes.
YakDr
Kayak Model: Viking Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU4103

Cheers guys. Yeah was a good day. Bushman - yes. You must be just about finished calving and be due a premating break?

PS - Yeah I do use the NiMH batteries just have been using it a fair bit recently off the water. Normally carry spares but they were in my lure box which I didn't have with me. Interesting about the compass. Hadn't thought about that but it is a 62s I have.
keentogofish
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish predator
VHF Call Sign: ZMU2221

Very nice. Good to see some excellent fish still around in the colder water with out to many sharks. Well done.. :y:
skarramooch
Kayak Model: marauder

Great report Yak Dr! Do you think the new kayak helped you catch more fish? sounds like it must've handled ok!
Boomslangnz
Kayak Model: Profish 400

awesome mate. fun day on the water
Nakiman
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Well done Yakdr - good to see you getting amongst them

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m