Drowned rat but good fishin

Go on then, tell us your stories...
ambo364
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Predator Profish
VHF Call Sign: ambo

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:33 pm

Went straight out after night shift this morning to my new spot x (3x double figure fish for the last 2 trips). Just like a millpond, but no drift which was a bit of a pain in the bum, so started to head into the real shallows where the swell was crashing on the rocks. Nice white water and surges but surprisingly nothing in after half an hours effort, so tried a bit further along the coast. Had a couple of short strikes shortly after but whatever it was really didn't seem interested in woolfing it, so went for plan B (3 inch glow swimming mullet). Instant results, with a couple of pannies in the mid 30's - awesome, that was dinner at least! Small baits were obviously the go, so I went back to spot x to see if if I could stumble over another double figure fish.

On my way across, the sky went dark and big rain clouds rolled in - she'll be sweet just a wee shower. Wrong, absolutely torrentially pissed on from a great height. Ah well I'm here now, can't get any wetter, so lets nail one of these big kelpy poofters and make it all worth while. Cast into the wash and "boof" got hit straight away - drag was cranked and the 6 lb braid was at its limit as the fish headed for home, ah crap this is gonna end in tears! Luckily it turned its head and went back in the opposite direction, not that I complained as it saved me grabbing the paddle and backing out of the wash (hate it when that happens). It was probably never under 2 metres the whole time I reckon. So here I am in a surging bit of white water a few metres from the rocks in the pissing rain hooked up to a nice mooch, u faaarkin beauty (thats my happy place :y: ). After a 10 minute scrap, and a few shenanegans on the trace it was in the boot. Not a massive one but another nice kelpy around the 10 lb mark. Dunno why white (glow) baits worked so well in the wash, go figure??

Overhead came a clap of thunder and that was my cue to high tail for the safety of terra firma - Im not sure that a kayaker fishing in the middle of the ocean holding an aluminium paddle and surrounded by fishing rods would stand much of a chance against a bolt of lightening, and I didn't want to create history as one of those "bugger" moments.

So, the drowned rat returned safely with dinner. A great couple of hours in my happy place, which is understandibly not the happy place of 99.9% of the population! (sorry pic is a bit blurry for obvious reasons)
Attachments
P07-06-11_10-35[1].jpg
Better stay home guys, Maori calendar says Bad Fishing...YEAH RIGHT

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:39 pm

Way to go Ambo,

I've just recently started fishing the wash (frequently now) and gotta say although it can be more costly on tackle I find it very rewarding and definately a way to get the adrenalin going. :rock:
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Good hunting Ambo :y:
Gotta love those shallows 8)
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Hey ambo, you would have noticed the quality and size of fish improve since you had the green machine as well wouldn’t ya ;) A :^)

ambo364

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:31 pm

I am loving the green machine, its had a good ol' thrashing the last couple of months! The only good thing about the other yaks I have had is that they did make the fish look bigger in the pics!

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:32 pm

ambo364 wrote: A great couple of hours in my happy place, which is understandibly not the happy place of 99.9% of the population!
Good stuff, :y: . Glad I'm in that minority -must get back to my spots once she settles .

Rusty
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 575
VHF Call Sign: ZMW2773

Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:30 pm

Great stuff yes i must now start to fish the wash also well done. :y:
Everyone is a genius.

But if you judge a fish
on its ability to climb a tree.
it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

Crashbandicoot
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: Bandicoot ZMW3529

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:25 pm

Great job with the narrative. :y: I was hooked.

Nakiman
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Great report and well done on the big kelpy :y:

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:18 pm

very nice work ambo..looks like you getting some very size fish lately :y:....

Pawprints

Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:21 pm

Nice fish and well told :y:

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:13 pm

Ok ambo ill come right out and ask ya .... where were you fishing ?
As always a great read and a very good fish :y:

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:38 pm

Kingfish killer wrote:Ok ambo ill come right out and ask ya .... where were you fishing ?
Cross my palm with a decent single Islay malt and I could be persuaded to let slip ;)
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Kingfish killer

Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
Kingfish killer wrote:Ok ambo ill come right out and ask ya .... where were you fishing ?
Cross my palm with a decent single Islay malt and I could be persuaded to let slip ;)
Hmm ... how about a mackintosh malt ? :angel:

pezza01
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 440

Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:20 am

nice fish ambo!! i see you where using the eagle cuda fishfinder, iv just got myself one and went out coromandel a couple of weeks ago with it, couldnt figuire out which settings to put it on. the depth meter seemed rite but wateva i changed the settings do didnt seem to show any fish on the screen. what settings do you run yours on?

ambo364

Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:52 am

pezza01 wrote:nice fish ambo!! i see you where using the eagle cuda fishfinder, iv just got myself one and went out coromandel a couple of weeks ago with it, couldnt figuire out which settings to put it on. the depth meter seemed rite but wateva i changed the settings do didnt seem to show any fish on the screen. what settings do you run yours on?
Just the default settings work fine for me, but if you are not seeing any fish at all on the screen there may be two problems - you might need to increase the sensitivity or... there might actually be a lack of fish :^) . And whatever you do, don't put the fish icons up, they are a good way to confuse you and tend to interpret anything as fish. There are other threads on the cuda FF's on here I think... good luck

ambo364

Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:50 pm

KK come on up to the playground anytime chap - no secrets once you get here, and you know there are plenty of far bigger secrets than this one around the place - just gotta find em, so more practice required... bugger! BTW you might wanna know that spot x was actually a spot y on wednesday - like "y" the f%#@ did I bother :lol: Two pannies but real slow going (hmmm always good to keep it rea every once in a whilel!) Nice to be out again midweek anyway... Catch ya up here soon mate :y:

Kingfish killer

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:30 pm

Ill be up on the 24th,25th and 26th for the bridge to cape comp . Fishing matai bay .

datawiz
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:03 pm

Great sorry :clap: really enjoyed reading it
Tight lines and not snags

• Information