18-19/01 Motuora Island Overnighter

Go on then, tell us your stories...
DocProfit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:14 pm

So Barry flicks me a quick txt on Friday morning asking if I wanted to do an overnighter on Motuora Island.

Yes, yes I do.

So we headed out at 6:30am Saturday morning in pristine conditions - minus The Mayor, who was at a yoga retreat, and Mitch who was M.I.A.

An hour later we landed and scrambled to setup base camp so we could get out for the 1st of 3 fishing sessions totaling 10+ hours in the saddle.

The fishing was pretty hard on Saturday, but we caught enough for lunch and then dinner. Nothing like filleting, frying, and eating your catch right on the beach.

We decided to stretch our legs between fishing sessions 1 and 2, by taking a quick hike to the other side of the island.

That was a very good call as we stopped when we heard some rustling by the side of the track, only to see a brown kiwi (there are around 150 on the island) digging for grubs in the middle of the day. Score!

The 3rd fishing session on Sunday morning was the one that produced results.

7inch Atomic Sunrise hooked good fish after good fish.

With the tide and wind in our favor, we headed back after lunch with aching arms but a good story to tell.
Attachments
i2.jpg
fish3.jpg
f5.jpg
hole.jpg
sun.jpg
view.jpg

TBreezy

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:14 am

Can't wait to do one of those. Cool report and awesome you saw a kiwi!

matwould
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:50 am

Nice TR.

I've done that trip too. It's awesome. Well worth it - both for the fishing and the kiwi spotting.

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:43 pm

Great TR. I'll be keen to do a trip like that one day.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Luke 1
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 4.5
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:58 am

Good stuff chaps.
You two must of looked so cute smuggled up together under Barry's hand knitted blanket :lol:

bl00dworm

Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:29 am

Nice report. Contemplating doing the same trip but extending to Kawau on the 2nd night. How’d you find the paddle? I’ll be in a Profish GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matwould
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:38 am

bl00dworm wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:29 am
Nice report. Contemplating doing the same trip but extending to Kawau on the 2nd night. How’d you find the paddle? I’ll be in a Profish GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The paddle to Motuora isn't too bad. I think it was about an hour from Sullivans Bay with no stops from memory. Just have to pick your day - little to no wind obviously. And if it's me I always stop if I see sign, or just take it slow etc. So allow a couple of hours I guess.

• Information