31/12/19 - Army Bay

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Pannie Hunter
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Scrambler XT

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:39 am

Having just moved to Gulf Harbour in mid-December I was desperate to get out for a fish from the peninsula for the first time. I got my first opportunity on NY's eve as the weather was mint. Launched from Army Bay at around 4pm and made my way toward the Wellington reef area. I usually soft bait, but having heard great reports about people slaying it on orange sliders, I had stopped off at Burnsco earlier to pick one up. My first drop with the slider went down and proceeded to get snagged. Needless to say it never came back up. Lesson learnt, they're no so great over foul ground!

I broke out the softies and started throwing them around. I had one dangling out the back in the rod holder and another I was actively working. The action was pretty tame, with a few nibbles here and there. Eventually I pulled up my first snapper which wasn't big at around 33cm. Then the rod in the holder started screaming as something significant took it. I quickly realized it wasn't a snapper as the runs were long and strong and it very nearly spooled me. After a good 10mins of fighting I got it up to the surface to see a juvenile Kingfish. I'm guessing he was in the 60cm - 70cm range, so I sent him back on his way. Good fun through. Fished for another hour or so with little success before landing another similarly small snapper for the fish bin. At which point the cold beers waiting at home started to become a more attractive proposition.

Great to be out there through and I'm eagerly awaiting some calmer weather so I can give it another crack. This weekend looks like it might provide a window.

matwould
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:33 am

Pannie Hunter wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:39 am
Having just moved to Gulf Harbour in mid-December I was desperate to get out for a fish from the peninsula for the first time. I got my first opportunity on NY's eve as the weather was mint. Launched from Army Bay at around 4pm and made my way toward the Wellington reef area. I usually soft bait, but having heard great reports about people slaying it on orange sliders, I had stopped off at Burnsco earlier to pick one up. My first drop with the slider went down and proceeded to get snagged. Needless to say it never came back up. Lesson learnt, they're no so great over foul ground!

I broke out the softies and started throwing them around. I had one dangling out the back in the rod holder and another I was actively working. The action was pretty tame, with a few nibbles here and there. Eventually I pulled up my first snapper which wasn't big at around 33cm. Then the rod in the holder started screaming as something significant took it. I quickly realized it wasn't a snapper as the runs were long and strong and it very nearly spooled me. After a good 10mins of fighting I got it up to the surface to see a juvenile Kingfish. I'm guessing he was in the 60cm - 70cm range, so I sent him back on his way. Good fun through. Fished for another hour or so with little success before landing another similarly small snapper for the fish bin. At which point the cold beers waiting at home started to become a more attractive proposition.

Great to be out there through and I'm eagerly awaiting some calmer weather so I can give it another crack. This weekend looks like it might provide a window.
Two snapper with some side kingfish fun isn't too bad for a first time in a new area.

Hope you didn't buy the orange slider on the back of my first recent trip report :o ! When I was having great success I was in the Tiri Channel in about 20m, although the next time I went and tried the same thing it didn't work as well haha.

You've moved to a great area though. Plenty of options around there.

Waylander

Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:02 pm

Having moved to the BOP some years back, I do miss the fishing options around the whangaparaoa peninsula. My pb snapper was caught just of the Eastern point of Welly reef with a pink shine jerk shad... Came up just shy of 20lbs... Good times.
Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.1 Ultra

He that would fish, must venture his bait.

• Information