26/12 - Army Bay

Go on then, tell us your stories...
matwould
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:15 pm

So after the success of a month earlier I decided to go again. With one of my kayaking mates moving to Chile and the other being a pussy I was out there on my own.

Launched from Army Bay at about 7.30am and paddled to the Tiri Channel.

Reasonably quickly managed a gurnard which I don't think I have caught from the kayak before so ticked that off finally. Was about 35cm so into the bin he went.

Wind was with tide so I was drifting quite quickly so had to do a lot of paddling. Got bugger all bites, in fact none that I'm aware of, but eventually pulled up my first snapper, also at about 35cm.

And that's what I finished with. Seemed like the boats weren't having much luck either. Was quite different to a month earlier!

Fish finder wasn't working at all even though the battery was fully charged. I don't know what the issue is. Possibly the connecting wires? Worked last time I went out, and it's not very old.

I have a Garmin ECHOMAP™ Plus 65cv (https://buy.garmin.com/en-NZ/NZ/p/593004) if anyone else in Auckland has one of those that I could put my unit on your set up to make sure that it's not my fish finder that's faulty. Would be appreciated. Otherwise will head back to NavStation and put on their wall display.

Cheers!
received_462327724483011.jpeg

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:41 pm

It’s quite likely the wiring...salt water has a bad habit of corroding and killing the wires.... aside from checking the connections and fuse (if you have one) check the wiring all the way up as the corrosion can be well up inside the plastic casing.
If you’re not sure, run a couple of dummy wires to bypass the main wiring and see if the FF fires up..
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Pannie Hunter
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Scrambler XT

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 am

Also, don't leave the battery hooked up to the power cable once you've disconnected the head unit. Storing it like that causes some of the connections to deteriorate very quickly. I chewed through my first power cable in the space of a few months by leaving it connected while storing the yak at home.

matwould
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:27 am

Pannie Hunter wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 am
Also, don't leave the battery hooked up to the power cable once you've disconnected the head unit. Storing it like that causes some of the connections to deteriorate very quickly. I chewed through my first power cable in the space of a few months by leaving it connected while storing the yak at home.
Thanks. I usually disconnect the battery from the wires as soon as I hit land. Head unit stays on until I disconnect it when I get home and am cleaning up the gear. So I shouldn't have any problems there I wouldn't think.

• Information