Getting serious on seriolas and a few snapper Aussie Style

Go on then, tell us your stories...
yakkingbrendon
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution
VHF Call Sign: NIL

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:27 am

Hi all from Western Australia !
Boy its been a while between TR's for me....Unfortunately it reflects how little time I have spent on the water in the last 6 months and a few donuts...

I have collected a few decent trips from the last few months into a combined TR. All of these fish were caught within 30 mins drive from the Perth CBD

Part One Solo Snapper
One Saturday Morning a several weeks ago found me with a wind window to fish a favourite metro inshore reef system where I usually target Samson fish and pick up a snapper or two as a bonus but my usual partners in crime Paul and Joel were both home with new babies born hours apart a couple of months ago so decided to launch solo well before sparrows fart .

After dodging some very shady looking characters hanging around the launch I get out to the reef 15 mins before first light and soon find some serious arches on my new Lowrance Elite 7TI.
20180618_213503.jpg
20180618_213503.jpg (433.26 KiB) Viewed 1190 times

Within a few minutes I have a solid hook up on a squid rigged that takes off a powerful run but within a few minutes I have been busted off and am soon inspecting a rubbed through leader Bugger....

A quick pedal back to the mark I set on the school pick up my other rod rigged with a scalie and again I have a solid hook up , A short fight and I have a lovely 75 cm snapper in the fishbag .
satsnapper 1.JPG
satsnapper 1.JPG (691.72 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
A quick retie of leader on the first rod and new squid and Scalie in place its action stations again . A quick scan around with the side imaging once again locates a serious bunch of arches .The scalie wafts down and soon I am loading the rod steadily to set the circle hooks on what would turn out to be a 65cm snapper. At this point Paul messages me asking how I am going ...funny you should ask ..a few pics soon answer his enquiry .
snapper2aa.JPG
snapper2aa.JPG (128.59 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
With my bag limit of snapper on board I start to troll dead slow a whole fresh squid and also have a whole scalie out .

Its not too long before the squid is hammered and a really strong run has me chasing after the fish and trying to steer it away from the reef .I turns it head and eventually get this eighty ish snapper onboard for a quick picture and release
snapper3.JPG
snapper3.JPG (169.07 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
Number 4 .Check out his mates on the sounder !
snapper1518small.JPG
snapper1518small.JPG (144.34 KiB) Viewed 1190 times

Number 5 no picture... similar size to previous 2 .

Once again trolling I get a big hook up on the squid which with contempt for my efforts busts me off on a reef after a few minutes but just as this happens the scalie gets taken .Frantically winding in the first rod I turn the yak and take off after the second fish to unload the rod enough to get it out of the PA's rear rold holder (almost lost a rod last year the same way... leash it or...) A good scrap later I have a cracking snapper in the mid 80's in the yak for a quick snap shot before release.

hooked to number 6 and off he goes
20180627_201123.jpg
20180627_201123.jpg (282.15 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
Come to daddy...
snapper6.jpg
snapper6.jpg (286.07 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
such pretty fish
snapper6b.jpg
snapper6b.jpg (297.77 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
see ya next time … maybe we could catch up for dinner,,,
snapper6c.jpg
snapper6c.jpg (287.51 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
The rest of the morning continues in the same manner with big arches stampeding over my sounder screen . Ended up landing 6 snapper for the morning and 4 bust offs and left them biting at 10.30 am to meet Paul and Tina on the beach.
received_1799816116745913small.JPG
received_1799816116745913small.JPG (107.75 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
Stayed tuned for Part Two. Time for some Samsons !
Last edited by yakkingbrendon on Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

yakkingbrendon

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:53 am

Part two.. getting serious about seriolas..
A couple of weeks later I invited Todd to join Joel and myself to see if we could repeat a hot snapper session I had solo the week before.
We launched in the dark and by first light were aproaching the zone. Lots of arches on the sounder but spread out.
We spilt up and started looking for the big schools of snapper from the previous week .

Just on sunrise my squid gets engulfed on the drop and the drag buzzes as the fish takes off a classic bottom hugging and yak circling fight takes place and soon I have it up to the yak .You beauty a nice 83cm Samson opens the account for the day off nicely .
1st sambo sml.JPG
1st sambo sml.JPG (112.99 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
It's well after sun rise when I saw a couple of classic big elongated arches and dropped a squid down and hooked up to a fish that did short powerful runs and slugged it out near the bottom before busting me off buggar!!!

Its quiet again for another half hour or so and meanwhile Joel and Todd have picked up a couple of wrasse for live bait . Todd hooks up big time on a live wrasse and is soon being towed by it out to sea and after several minutes on 50lb tackle Todd has a lovely meter plus Samson that I would estimate around 12 to 14 kg in his lap that is quickly released and swims off strongly.
Todds samon 2final.JPG
Todds samon 2final.JPG (89.22 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Joel has to leave for family commitments so gives Todd a live Wrasse which by the time Joel has hit the beach Todd has converted into a 99cm Samson that he kept and it smoked up a treat.

Its getting towards late morning and we decide to have a final crack at trying get a pink snapper as the wind is starting to freshen . I drop another bait down and its snaffled by a fish that's takes off at a rapid pace in a long straight run that sees me cursing my self as my Stradic 4000 is well overdue a new top shot of 20lb braid. Pedalling hard I soon get a few wraps of braid over the backing and eventually get another 83cm in the yak .It was weird ,like he had turned his mates and said "watch my Tuna impression !"
samsontimes2final.JPG
samsontimes2final.JPG (116.84 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
A safe landing on the beach ended an amusing day where we could not get through the Samsons to the snapper.
A couple of weeks ago I invited Todd to join Joel and myself to see if we could repeat a hot snapper session I had solo the week before.
We launched in the dark and by first light were aproaching the zone. Lots of arches on the sounder but spread out.
We spilt up and started looking for the big schools of snapper from the previous week .

Another week passes and I head out with ex KFDU mod Paul Tuckwell who is a Samson master and my teacher in all things Seriola . You may remember Paul as the guy who caught the 35kg Samson from his yak a few years back.
The Morning of the Launch the weather is a bit sketchy with stronger winds and different direction to what we normally favour but we both have bought our Finn out rigger equipped hobbies which are great in poor weather. I whilst moving my alarm back from 5.15 to 4.45 the night before failed to change the 5 to a 4 on my phone and after my usual bad nights sleep wake check my phone and its already past the time we agreed to launch Arghh !!! leap out of bed have trailer on car and at launch unloading in 35mins .Paul has headed out and picked up a couple of squid in the dark . I meet up with him right on sunrise and within minutes he has hooked up on a live squid by a very strong fish that bit him off after a while with the 40 LB leader bitten through between the snelled hooks .As I pedalled up to him to commiserate his next squid gets inhaled by a 73cm snapper giving that tell tale snapper head shake.

With Paul still hooked up he says "there is a big school still under me" so I lob a Scaly Mackerel at him which is grabbed by a 45 cm Pink snapper which is soon thrown back as its undersize . Another couple of minutes and another snapper comes up which was probably size but I drop it trying to put it on the measuring sticker on my Haka board on the Outrigger.

I scan around for a bit and spot a couple of big arches so a whole squid on the Heavy outfit is sent to investigate .Almost immediately it reports back via my 20lb braid that its been eaten and now will be leaving the immediate area....A strong fast run soon makes it obvious its another Samson and on the heavy I soon have a 87cm Samson in the fish bag. After unhooking the fish I note I have knocked the top guide insert out of the heavy rig so now only have the Nitro Viper left .
Meanwhile Paul has landed a 54cm pannie snapper and having bagged out puts his heavier outfit away and picks up his Nitro Baby Viper 3 to 6 KG outfit with a Daiwa 3000 series spinning reel.

He drops another squid head which is taken by 74cm snapper that gives him the run around on the light gear before being released.

I finish resetting and look up to see Paul has a good hook up on the light outfit about 40 m away and thinking to myself I will go over and get some pics in a minute, drop a large squid head over the side . Whilst watching Paul to judge what he was onto my Squid heads off and its soon apparent this is a really good fish .Making no impact on stopping it and rapidly heading into the backing again I head off after it after covering nearly 100m in straight line it just stops and I have dead weight on the bottom .Thinking its run me around a reef or been eaten by a shark I sit there for a minute or two pulling max force on it and then try and change angles and then give it some slack eventually after some weird vibrations it moves off again dead slow .Thinking "aww shit I've been sharked" I sit over it giving it heaps but the 6 to 8kg tackle is not able to do much lifting . After a few minutes of dead slow he has had enough and lights the burners heading now out towards where Paul is still hooked up to his big fish and being pulled out sea . Still more minutes pass of me chasing/ being pulled after my fish and again I get over the top and from here the rest of the fight degenerates into me trying to pedal forward and get some angle on him to plane him up and going in circles with short runs.
After 20 minutes I am now within shouting range of Paul who is still playing a hell of a good fish on really light tackle and also cant lift it either.. Paul offers to break his fish off and come over and get some pics but I say thanks but not yet as the fish was stuck 8m below me . Another couple minutes pass and I get the feeling I am making progress and within a minute or two have leader in sight .Yelling to Paul I have colour He starts to try busting his off and suddenly his is coming up as well .
Being super patient I finally get the fish along side the yak and after a few goes slip the gaff in the jaw. As I pull the 27.5 kg (60lb) 1.35m Samson into my lap into my lap I am instantly grateful for the outrigger setups stability . It feels like I have a bag of cement in my lap and its a struggle to get it across onto the haka board. It's totally spent and won't release and has left me covered in slime and blood. Hearing the Jaws theme in my head I quickly clean as much as possible off .
pbsamson smlfinal.JPG
pbsamson smlfinal.JPG (225.32 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Paul has just got his into his lap as I pedal up and we take grip and grins of each other .Pauls fish is about 5 to 10cm shorter than mine and about 24kg (52lbs) on 15lb braid!!! Pauls fish is also spent and both were kept and eaten .
paul samson 1cropfinalsml.JPG
paul samson 1cropfinalsml.JPG (143.12 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
samsons on boards final sml.JPG
samsons on boards final sml.JPG (135.34 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
The whole 30 o 40 mins this has been going on the wind has picked up and the chop and its a hard pedal the km or so upwind till the starting point of the fight .

Back where we started whilst chatting to each other how cool it was to both be battling big fish at once I decided to have a few more casts as I did not have a legal snapper onboard for the day …several minutes and a few drops on fish later my Scaly Mackerel is munched. Thinking to my self god I hope its not another sambo it soon shows colour and you ripper a nice Pink snapper is in the net again about the 63cm range .
snapper sml final.JPG
snapper sml final.JPG (170.98 KiB) Viewed 1183 times

Whilst I was doing this Paul has caught a lovely Flathead .

Running out of time and energy with a heap of cleaning to do we land on the beach and draw a fair bit of attention from beach goers which is not good for keeping spots quiet..
samsontwins nbcropsml final.JPG
samsontwins nbcropsml final.JPG (78.24 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
catch of the day sml final.JPG
catch of the day sml final.JPG (263.85 KiB) Viewed 1183 times
Huge thanks to all the guys who came out on the past few trips and especially Paul who is an awesome Kayak Fishing Mentor.

Rabbit
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Pro Fisha 525

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Wow!!! Awesome, awesome TR's - Well done mate. Memorable stuff for sure!

Kayak Adventures
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: To many models to name
VHF Call Sign: ZMS6165

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:25 pm

Fantastic results and great report Brendon. Hope all well with you and the family.
Cheers Janet & Rob
All the best from the team

Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coromande ... 33?sk=wall

Stockists of the worlds best brands! Fishing Kayaks, Accessories, Watersport Clothing, Spearfishing Gear and Fishing Tackle

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:33 pm

Looks like a couple of awesome sessions !..well done !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

dedant
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:16 am

I will be in Perth in a couple of months. Looking forward to some sunshine

Glass is Class.. dedant

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:08 pm

Another awesome trip report :y:

We're still dithering about a move to Perth. I think I said that 3 years ago!

destin
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:32 pm

Well done mate. Looks like you have been busy.

I was over in Perth at the start of the year ( it was around Australia day). Forgot completely that you were over there. I will remember to ping you when I'm there next.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

yakkingbrendon

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:40 am

Kayak Adventures wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:25 pm
Fantastic results and great report Brendon. Hope all well with you and the family.
Cheers Janet & Rob
Thanks Rob .
Still plotting to get back to NZ to join one of your mothership trips .
Hope alls well in Coramandel .
Regards Brendon

yakkingbrendon

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:43 am

dedant wrote:
Look us up . See if i can get you on the water but summer is actually tough fishing as its bloody windy .

yakkingbrendon

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:44 am

destin wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:32 pm
Well done mate. Looks like you have been busy.

I was over in Perth at the start of the year ( it was around Australia day). Forgot completely that you were over there. I will remember to ping you when I'm there next.
Next time for sure.

dedant
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:55 am

Thanks. We are going to be in Wellard , not close to where you put in. We may do the Rockingham boat trip.
Probably no time this trip for fishing.

Glass is Class.. dedant

AndrewRawlingson

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:51 am

yakkingbrendon wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:43 am
dedant wrote:
Look us up . See if i can get you on the water but summer is actually tough fishing as its bloody windy .
What's the situation with the wind? I know it's windy out there, but how often can you get out on the water? Once a week, once a month? Are there alternatives, rivers/estuaries worth fishing for decent size/eating fish? Cheers.

destin
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:38 pm

That's what I was thinking too Andrew. When I was over there I went for a row but it was blowing a gale and they said it was typically like that.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

AndrewRawlingson

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:43 pm

Yep, I've had three separate dive trips in the Perth area cancelled due to wind. I was visiting for other reasons, but still annoying!

yakkingbrendon

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:29 pm

The swan river and the rivers to the south like Murry and Blackwood offer decent fishing for Black Bream ,Mulloway and Tailor. You can get out in the ocean but yes its hard work .A lot of my fishing is for pink snapper which ia a demersal species and is out of season from mid October through end of Jan, the samsons wont be on the inshore reefs much longer either .
Will be targeting Spanish Mackeral this summer but they are not really common for yakkers to catch so I will be seeing plenty of donuts.
I will do a handful of trips chasing giant herring on the swan river flats which are great fun and absolute rockets on trout/bream spin gear.
I have not had much chance to fish summer last few years due to work ,travel and family commitments .In late winter I fish at night in the sounds and can do two trips a week if weather goods permit .
If i can do 1 or two trips a month in the ocean over summer I will be happy .
Cheers Brendon

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:10 pm

Thanks Brendon.

Trini
Kayak Make: OK
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3
VHF Call Sign: not yet

Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:37 pm

Cheers Brendon. Really enjoyed that report. Good to see some fish here in Perth. I have to say though, I’ve found the fishing much harder here in Perth than in NZ but I guess it makes you appreciate it more when you catch. The bag limit of 2 demersal fish is tough but I guess the fishery needs protected. Really keen to get out for a paddle with you guys if you happen to have a spare yak and the wind plays the game.
Trini

OK Prowler Ultra 4.3

Snapper PB 54cms (2.7Kgs or ~6lbs in old money) ,56cms no wait 59cms now!
more awaited...
Still waiting on the day I catch a +60cm model.....

• Information