Sullivans Bay 15/04/18

Go on then, tell us your stories...
matwould
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:32 am

Andrew and I got to Sullivans Bay and we were quickly on the water by about 7am. Drifted the channel veerrrry slowly as there was no wind (but a good amount of rain to start off with) and the current wasn't particularly strong but we were both straight into the fish.
We both had a couple of those shags ducking and diving between our kayaks and often sitting right next to us on the water. I caught 1 undersized fish (28cm ish) and as soon as I put him in the water the adult shag was onto it and got itself a free meal. Amazing what they can fit down their gullet.
I did one long drift and picked up 5. Then paddled back to Andrew and picked up another 2 within about 10 mins and then called it a day as I had a hockey game to get to. Andrew had 6 in the bag so was a very productive session.
We did happen to see one floating dead little blue penguin which isn't particularly nice but who knows how it died.
All in all a very good day. Plenty of fish to go around.

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:00 pm

matwould wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:32 am
We did happen to see one floating dead little blue penguin which isn't particularly nice but who knows how it died.
Reports are, that the recent warm water summer, we had has disrupted the distribution of feed and that the Penguins didn't get enough tucker at their usual feeding grounds this year, so there're many starving around the country.

Oh well, nature is red, in tooth and claw...
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

• Information