Belated TR x 3

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Telecaster
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 Elite

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Tauranga bay 25/2/18

Launched around 6.30 and met up with Hairy Little Dwarf (Pete) and his accomplice Martin. Paddled over towards Stephenson island picking up the odd small fish on scattered sign on the way over. We got into some good action around 9.30am in 30ish meters east of the island. I didn't need to keep much so let a lot of pannies go including one decent one around 5 or 6kg. The photo doesn't do it justice (ie. I need to lose some weight :)
Patrick and Friend.jpg
Patrick and Friend.jpg (236.31 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Martin got all he needed before he had to return to civilization early on. Pete (HLD) was slaying some nice fish on soft baits. I was restricted to jigs as my spin SB reel is currently in 200 pieces in a zip-lock bag awaiting delivery to an exasperated repair man. I was using a zest slow-jay 60g silver and lumo slow pitch jig which was working great with a lot of fish taken on the drop. Photo of Pete being towed at 2.5 knots by a snapper:
pete.jpg
pete.jpg (112.38 KiB) Viewed 591 times
I ended up with my first porae (not very big but tasty), a good sized golden snapper around 48cm, and a couple of pannies that weren't looking good for release.

Mahinepua 27/2/18
Launched solo at around 6.45am and set off out of the bay trolling a SB. Caught a 30ish cm kahawai almost instantly which I rigged for slow trolling and made my way toward flat island. Unfortunately the livie kept diving headfirst into any snag it could find and eventually found its freedom. Cast a softbait in about 15m near the small island between flat and the mainland and got a great hookup and tussle with what turned out to be a 60cm porae. Very happy to put him in the chill bag. Tried for a livie in close around flat but no joy. Saw a bust up out wide so ended up near some craypots in 50m over some low foul. Snapper fishing was very slow. Caught lots of golden snapper but nothing over about 35cm, released them all as I had no rag and they are very sharp to deal with. Got snagged and lost the zest jig so switched to an ocean angler weasel 60g orange jig. Hooked up on something large and had it on for about 3 mins before pulling the hook. Didn't feel like a king or a snap or trev, may have been a puka? Stubborn thing to lift of the bottom and some steady determined runs back to the bottom every time I got it up more than a few meters. Never mind! I then moved a bit and hooked and landed my PB trevally, 65cm. Stoked.

Tindalls bay 4/3/18

Shot out on Sunday arvo for an in close bait and berley session off the kayak (pretty rare occurrence for me). Headed around to the right looking for a spot with wind and current lining up on the incoming. Had a great session with a 65cm snap and some pannies landed. Forgot how much fun the scream of a baitrunner is.
tindalls.jpg
tindalls.jpg (170.08 KiB) Viewed 591 times
Last edited by Telecaster on Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

46John
Kayak Model: 4.3

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:22 pm

Some nice TRs, and some nice fish!

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:44 am

Nice mate, a few firsts there is sounds like.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Telecaster
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 Elite

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:47 am

Yeah, always good fishing new areas and getting new species. Both the Porae and the Golden Snapper were fantastic eating.

• Information