Ruakaka 24, 25 March

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Kayak Make: Viking, OK
Kayak Model: Reload & 4.3 Ultra & Espri

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:32 pm

Was up at Ruakaka last weekend for my sons' surflifesaving comp. Managed to sneak out for a paddle both mornings. Helped to be camping right at Uretiti and the waves were virtually non-existent (I don’t do waves well - waves + kayak + me = yard sale of equipment in surf zone).

Got out before sunrise and didn't even paddle all that far (just out to 10 metres) before the snapper were nailing the softbait. Most were in the 30s, some 40s. But the second morning I got three really nice ones in the 50s. And all before 8 AM! I've never been very successful with casting and retrieving softbait. Rather what does the trick for me is a little cast overboard and then letting it drag as I drift.

Also, and you dudes with more experience than me would probably know this already, while the smaller ones all smashed the softbait, the three bigger ones (50cm+) all did the same thing before I hooked them -- they all came in and you could barely feel them, almost just lipping it. Just a few slight nudges before I hooked them. Mooching? I've read about that but never actually experienced it so clearly. Was really cool.

Anyway fun mornings out and I managed to get to the sons' comp on time even.

Video clip attached of paddle route...
(2.81 MiB) Downloaded 21 times
Last edited by TC NZ on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Sounds like a great trip. I do like that area, heaps of fish. Shallow, sandy bottom, ideal for soft baiting :y:

Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:16 pm

Nice... Yep, I generally drop one rod right next to the kayak and keep another in my hand with which I cast and retrieve and the verdict is still out as to which one catches more fish. Quite often I feel it's the one I leave to drag underneath the kayak by itself.
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:30 pm

Damn, this thread makes me want to go fishing! I'm enjoying catching shallow water pannies on softies more than hauling out monsters from the deep at the moment :) Bloody weather :headbang:

• Information