Tongoio Beach 21st Jan

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:12 pm

With a great forecast i headed out to Tongoio beach for a change of location.
This turned out to be a great call with the conditions staying at 5 knots or less, barely any swell and good water temperature and visibility.
P1210012.JPG
The depth drops away much faster north of Napier, it didn't take long to hit 15m and i put the anchor down with kahawai schools working the surface all around me.
Every bait was getting hit as they reached the bottom. Quickly had 4 2kg + Kahawai in the bin.

The first fish to come on board of a different species was a Jack Mackerel. The sounder had lit up with them and i caught a few large models between Kahawai.

Next up was target species Gurnard! Then another , and yet another. 3 into the bin within a short time. Dinner sorted!
P1210011.JPG
Next up was a little kahawai and i was not prepared for what happened next.. i wish my camera battery hadn't run out. A Kingfish was giving it a hurry up and desperately wanted to eat the poor kahawai, nailing it multiple times, I Brought the fish alongside the yak and the kingfish hit again not hooking itself though. Since i never had a chance to get a king and i know they don't hang around long, i decided to hook the kahawai through the back on the same ledger with 3/0 hooks and drop it into his mouth and that's exactly what happened! I dealt to the fish on 8kg braid surprisingly , mainly due to the fish being 68cm plus a quick net shot which got me showered with water. A big goal finally ticked off.
P1210013.JPG
IMG_1110.jpg
Next up was a good hit and a nice eating snapper popped up, Another species to add to the bin! Looking on the sounder the bait was still thick , so the next smaller kahawai went out onto my 24kg set with a 6/0 through the back. A bit of a learning experience as the livie got a big whack and then another before the fish took off and began to swallow it. I put the drag up and i was onto another Kingfish! it didn't run hard enough to be a good one, but still took a decent amount of line off me. Pretty quick fight on this one too. 71cm very close to a taker.
IMG_1113.jpg
After that the bottom species bite died off and i towed a live mackerel home hoping to score again, but that was it. A very productive day and i will certainly be back soon. Perhaps after a kingfish again!
Attachments
IMG_1117.jpg
IMG_1115.jpg
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
15.1kg Yellowtail Kingfish - Tongoio Beach
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.3kg John Dory - Taranaki Port
0.82kg Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:23 pm

Good catch Epicskwid. Another top TR too. :y:
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Blazer60
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:26 pm

Top effort, nice pics.
Blazer60
Viking Reload ZMW5911

Bear Jules
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: -

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:02 am

Sounds like a great days fishing Epic! Always enjoy reading yr TRs.

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

TBreezy

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Trophy Jack Macks!

Awesome report!

DocProfit
Kayak Model: Reload

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:00 am

Great mixed bag there.

• Information