End of 2017, Pikowai

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Thrasher
Kayak Make: Perception
Kayak Model: Swing
VHF Call Sign: n/a

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:10 am

Hi all, it's 2018 already! I swear the years go by faster the older I get! Anyways been a while between reports
From the end of september till the end of november I did'nt get out at all, stupid weather! Hit Rogers Rd a
couple of times before christmas loading up on snapper with kahawai, a couple of trev's and my first two
john dory on a soft bait in the mix.
On the 27th dec it was down to pikowai camping. Over the 6 days we were there I could of gone out on
the yak every day, the sea was mint in the mornings with minimal shore break. Managed to climb out of bed
at 5am three mornings, fishing was pretty good straight out in around 20m with quite a few good snapper
in the 45 to 55cm range.. The first morning my fishing got cut short with the wind getting up early but I
still managed a couple of kahawai for the smoker , a tevally for raw fish and a few good snapper for the pan.
Had my bro n law join me for the next two mornings, we binned up with snapper both days enjoying some really
good fishing although, (and my wife and daughter will curse me for saying this!) the kahawai became a little
annoying at times, they are good fun on light gear but geez my arms were getting sore! Had a big school under my
kayak for a good few minutes at one point, was quite cool just sitting there watching them.
Was a bit slack with photos so only have one of the last fish on the 31st. We took our yaks home that day, (home
is only 20mins away) and filleted the day's catch as well. We had a couple of nice fat bags of fillets which fed
numerous families at camp for new years eve dinner :rock:
IMAG0922.jpg

Bear Jules
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: -

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:58 am

Thrasher wrote:Hi all, it's 2018 already! I swear the years go by faster the older I get! Anyways been a while between reports
From the end of september till the end of november I did'nt get out at all, stupid weather! Hit Rogers Rd a
couple of times before christmas loading up on snapper with kahawai, a couple of trev's and my first two
john dory on a soft bait in the mix.
On the 27th dec it was down to pikowai camping. Over the 6 days we were there I could of gone out on
the yak every day, the sea was mint in the mornings with minimal shore break. Managed to climb out of bed
at 5am three mornings, fishing was pretty good straight out in around 20m with quite a few good snapper
in the 45 to 55cm range.. The first morning my fishing got cut short with the wind getting up early but I
still managed a couple of kahawai for the smoker , a tevally for raw fish and a few good snapper for the pan.
Had my bro n law join me for the next two mornings, we binned up with snapper both days enjoying some really
good fishing although, (and my wife and daughter will curse me for saying this!) the kahawai became a little
annoying at times, they are good fun on light gear but geez my arms were getting sore! Had a big school under my
kayak for a good few minutes at one point, was quite cool just sitting there watching them.
Was a bit slack with photos so only have one of the last fish on the 31st. We took our yaks home that day, (home
is only 20mins away) and filleted the day's catch as well. We had a couple of nice fat bags of fillets which fed
numerous families at camp for new years eve dinner :rock:
IMAG0922.jpg
Nice TR Thrasher and great result! Thanks for posting. I'm based in Wellington but heading up to Rotoiti for the annual visit to the father in laws place next week.I have been out at Rogers rd once which was great, this time last year. What is Pikowai like in comparison? Launching?...swell?...ready or sandy?...Appreciate any local expertise. Cheers. Jules

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

Ruff as Gutts

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:23 pm

Mate, sounds like bliss! I managed one morning out during that fine spell off Pukehina. Only two pannies.

Bear Jules All along Matata straights has a nasty shore dump, best fished under 1/2 a meter swell.

Thrasher
Kayak Make: Perception
VHF Call Sign: n/a

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:44 am

Hey Bear Jules, like ruff as guts said from pukehina thru to matata you don't want any more than half a metre swell
and a light offshore wind helps. I fish over sand at pikowai and the fish tend to be found out deeper but at rogers
there is loads of foul from close in and there is a reef further offshore. I tend to start closer in and usually do ok.

Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:15 am

Yeah plenty of kahawai around pukehina over the holidays. Love catching and eating that fish. Like the guys say watch that shore dump. Stow away your rods and reels if your uncertain about your re-entry ability.

I turtled on re-entry from a small shore dump and wrecked all my reels and net. My k-labs was smashed in 3 pieces too.

Got a good feed though. The snapper are pretty looking buggers around there too. I've never seen snapper with bright blue speckles before.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

• Information