Sunkist 21 Nov

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Little Fish
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: prowler 4.5 elite

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:42 am

For once the planets aligned; with the long range weather forecast actually panning out; as with my shifts and my Dads, so a plan was hatched to dust off the yaks and go for a paddle and see if we could coax some of the local residents to come home for tea...

6am at Sunkist; a joy to be travelling against the traffic with the rest of the world heading to work. :)

Fishing was a little slow; but a few pannies came home, surcoming to the temptation of a new penny breakfast.

Was trying to educate my old man on the benefits of running a microjig in a rodholder - the only rod I had spare to lend him was my son's 1-3kg rated Ugly stick (sprat rod) and Shimano IX 2000 reel. Imagine his surprise when it doubled over midmorning with something weighty on the end.

30 minutes of battling ensued before his foe revealed itself - 3 foot hammerhead!! It busted off at the leader after a failed grab with pliers to retrieve the lure but goes to show how very light gear can tame a mighty foe if you play them out.

The only other surprize was a first for Sunkist for me - very stoked to have JD for tea. :y:
rsz_jdsunkist211117.jpg
JD time
All in all a great start to the local season. Looking forward to more sorties in the coming months :P
Attachments
IMG_7733.JPG

DocProfit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:24 pm

Nice work, still waiting for my 1st JD.

mitchfam
Kayak Model: Tempo

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:34 am

Nice catch. Got a JD on my maiden trip off Sunkist 12 years ago, not a one since.
Tend to get a lot of small sharks ( and some bronzies) and stingrays this time of the year around Beachlands.
Heading out on Sunday morning after 2 months of no fishing, I hear that the snapper are starting to spawn and smashing the pillies..

Kayak Model: 400 lite

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:21 pm

Nice feed you got, Hammerheads everywhere around beachlands use to catch heaps until now I only use soft baits and lures and slow jigs. Catch more fish now and no sharks. I heading out this weekend in morning just getting sick of paddling in the wind lately. Might see you around sometime.

• Information