New PB and new species

Go on then, tell us your stories...
FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Horrible few weeks in Hamilton working for a company that thinks we're in the 90's and they can treat contractors accordingly!!! Tomorrow's my last day with them, but I didn't feel like another 2 days of working for them, so a day of fishing seemed in order.

Windguru predicted a near-windless day, but that was certainly not the case and Orere Point was pretty cold and choppy!!

The rod that was in the rod holder has an Abu Garcia reel which is the only spinning reel I've seen lately with a loud ticker. I was about to pack up and move when I head zzzzzzzzzzzz <quiet> zźzz <tick> as the line snapped. Fish had gone straight under the kayak and the line got tangled in the running rig's pully.... That could have ended much worse if I had heavier line on there!!!

And that was the first of 6 or 7 times I lost a jighead today, though the others were all from getting snagged.

That spot didnt yield anything further and the next two stops didn't produce a single bite. Finally landed my first ever gurnard at 38cm, then a 35cm snapper and then my new PB snapper at 66cm. Only 3cm bigger than my previous PB, but man this thing fought a lot harder.
And that was it, another 2 hours of drifting with nothing to show, so I had to head home to take my daughter to hokey practice.

Would have liked a few more fish, but hey... day on the water with a new PB and a new species vs a day of working for a bunch of buffoons... let me think

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Big k
Kayak Make: Vicking /Stealth / OK
Kayak Model: 440. / 4.7 / 495
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 3384

Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:57 pm

Nice work FOM you are a lucky man getting out on the water in such nice winter conditions ,
All the best champ :D

Viking 440
OK 4.7 ultra arrived
Stealth EVO 495 gone
Stealth Carbon Kevlar 495 arrived
ZMU3384

Legasea supporter

Blazer60
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:49 pm

Nice mate.
Blazer60
Stealth Fisha 500 ZMW5911

DocProfit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:50 pm

Wanted to go out today as the weather looked sweet... but work.

Well done.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:54 am

Certainly was shitty out there, more than once I was looking up at my drogue in the wall of water in front of me :^)
Was that you headed towards the marker about 7.30 ish? I was out wider launched from the boat ramp, went out to the 12 meter mark and was awful... BUT the fishing was awesome, kept 7 snapper between 40-55cm, a lot of throw backs and caught a nice strip of squid :lol:

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:56 am

awondering wrote:
Certainly was shitty out there, more than once I was looking up at my drogue in the wall of water in front of me :^)
Was that you headed towards the marker about 7.30 ish? I was out wider launched from the boat ramp, went out to the 12 meter mark and was awful...
Yeah, that sounds like about the time I got out there. Glad there was someone else out there to confirm it wasn't "such nice winter conditions" as others seem to think. Still better than sitting in the office though.
awondering wrote:
BUT the fishing was awesome, kept 7 snapper between 40-55cm, a lot of throw backs and caught a nice strip of squid :lol:
Listen buddy, my kayak's much bigger than yours, my body weight puts me deeper in the water than you and I have an outboard motor on mine... One day you're going to make one of these "oh, fish were jumping into my kayak faster than I could throw them back" comments when I've found the fishing pretty damn difficult and next trip you've going to wonder why this big, red barge rammed you into the drink like those water-hog boaties on the Northshore!
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:51 am

Well done FOM!

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:33 am

Haha should have come out wider mate...
FatherOfMany wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:56 am
awondering wrote:
Was that you headed towards the marker about 7.30 ish? I was out wider launched from the boat ramp, went out to the 12 meter mark and was awful...
Yeah, that sounds like about the time I got out there. Glad there was someone else out there to confirm it wasn't "such nice winter conditions" as others seem to think. Still better than sitting in the office though.
awondering wrote:
BUT the fishing was awesome, kept 7 snapper between 40-55cm, a lot of throw backs and caught a nice strip of squid :lol:
Listen buddy, my kayak's much bigger than yours, my body weight puts me deeper in the water than you and I have an outboard motor on mine... One day you're going to make one of these "oh, fish were jumping into my kayak faster than I could throw them back" comments when I've found the fishing pretty damn difficult and next trip you've going to wonder why this big, red barge rammed you into the drink like those water-hog boaties on the Northshore!

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:46 pm

Nice one FOM.. I was stuck in Rotovegas at a conference
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Well done on your PB buddy ! :y:

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:14 am

Nice one on your pb :y:
I know what it like "sub" contracting, 13 yrs labour only for the same firm, legalised slave labour some times.
Now it's , " I'll pay you when they pay me"!
Time to win Powerball me thinks :$

Glass is Class.. dedant

• Information