Thames fishing next to the barge 18June2017

Go on then, tell us your stories...
codmaster
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: GT

Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:05 pm

Left Auckland with Neho @ 4am arrived at Kereta boat ramp about 6.30am after a short stop for breaky in Thames. Launch before sunrise and nothing biting yet there was ok sign in close about 100-200m from shore.

Left for the farms and tried trolling a bib lure. Didn't realise how much drag it created. Was getting tired after about 20mins of paddling on my Viking Reload. Any way gave that up and tried out micro jigging and caught an undersized snapper. Thought I better just head over to the Mussel Barge and have a fish there.

After countless attempts at trying to catch fish that randomly popped up on my f/f, I made it to the barge. By about 10.30-11am. The guys on the barge by this time were having lunch so engines off and still no fish. I decided to wait it out and try my kabura and micro jigs and the soft bait floated off in the current got 1 legal size, but once the guys on the barge started up the engines again the bite came on.

Boy the sign was amazing my whole screen lite up. 40cm+ snapper was taking my soft bait on the drop. It was great seeing the line peel off the reel as the bail arm was off and when flicking it back over the nice bend in the rod. Took me about 40mins if not less to get my quota. Tucked in behind the barge I found was the best place to cast my soft baits. Z-man motor oil was doing the damage for me.

Great day overall until I hit traffic slowely building around Maramarua Golf club. Wasn't until we got past Manurewa did it ease off. It wasn't even a long weekend so yeah pretty shocking. Left Thames at 3pm got home at 6pm. Wife wasn't happy. Home bound for a while I think ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( ;(
Attachments
18June1.jpg
18June1.jpg (184.72 KiB) Viewed 645 times
18june2.jpg
18june2.jpg (91.3 KiB) Viewed 645 times
PB's
Snapper 78cm - Waikato Bay
JD 43cm - Rawhiti
KY 54cm - Orere Point
Blue cod 38cm - Little bay

JUMBOZ
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW6161

Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:50 pm

bloody good feed there mate

itsallablur
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:43 pm

Great trip report and awesome fish. Well deserved for the effort.
Viking Reload
Viking GT
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club link: http://www.oskfc.net

• Information