Easter Kayaking

Go on then, tell us your stories...
blair
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:06 am

A few months ago, me and a few mates booked a trip to the mythical Matai bay for Easter weekend.

Unfortunately, Cyclone Cook had a few words to say about that and we pulled the pin, staying around Auckland.

Friday: Too much whisky on Thursday drowning my Northland sorrows meant a quick evening trip to Browns bay. Lead to nothing special, but got some dinner and it was good to get back on the yak after a summer of trail running.

Saturday: The offshore winds and nice swell meant it was a good day for surfing, so we took the yaks to Long bay and spent the afternoon surfing the kayaks in, catching waves all the way in, trying all different methods. Spent a good chunk of time getting off the kayaks, flipping them getting back on. standing up etc. It was great fun and an invaluable experience. It's amazing how quickly an empty kayak will drift in the wind while you are seeing how well your PFD works.

Monday: An early start at Matheson bay. A pretty quiet morning, but again, got some snapper for dinner. Paddled across to Leigh reef and dropped a jig down on some sign. Hooked up straight away and up popped a 73cm Kingy. Second drop, same result but smaller. Third drop hooked something a bit heavier but dropped it after a short fight. bugger.

All in all, a good weekend, but the magic far north still eludes me at the moment.

Blair

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:35 pm

yep.. not much happened for me either..

Drove to Waipu for the weekend (as always) and towed the kayak behind me...... drove back to Auckland towing the kayak behind and never touched it at all !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Badger
Kayak Model: Reload and GT

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:47 pm

Yeah haven't had many opportunities to get on the water myself over recent months...time to start planning some trips maybe?

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:46 pm

I had a good session in Wainui Bay (Golden Bay) last Saturday. Got some nice ~35cm snapper in about 5 meter of water between the farm and the reef to the west.

Started early and was anchored and cubing before dawn, but it was about 8:30am before I had any real bites.

Then it was all on for about 15 minutes. Snapper after snapper going hitting the baits. I was throwing back any that needed measuring. Just when I thought I would bag out I iki'd one badly.

In true Easter fashion it self-resurrected in the fish-pod and made a racket. Bites stopped, just like that.

When I gutted the fish they were full of mud-crabs, hermit crabs (without shells) and bits of pilly from my cube trail.

Seemingly the fish had been in the shallows feeding up early and I caught them heading out of the bay, after the sun hit the water. Makes me think a crab softbait fished in the shallows at dawn would do well there.

Ended up with half a doz at the 35cm mark.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

• Information