Play at Tauranga Bay

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Couple of likely lads from town visited my patch this weekend... No-one went home empty handed.
I could only fish yesterday, so grabbed some 4-6kg "Northland pannies" and spent the rest of the day having a ball with following workups and general catch & release.

Points of note: Prowlers are immune to being chewed on by psycho Barracouta and Vikings attract Pigfish, lots and lots of Pigfish... :lol:
DayOut.jpg
DayOut2.jpg
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.
paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

8) Good Guiding skills and pictures :y:
GHOST RIDER
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: 525

great pictures mate :y: hope the weather and kings play ball next weekend up there :^)
Stealth 525
KARMA as i fish out of a kayak i don't eat shark
kea999
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.5- 4.3 -465 - 480

:envy: only been up that way once with kayak in hand sensational area . Whats the local tactics to reduce leather jacket damage ?
Hairy Little Dwarf

Keep the softie moving fast.
I use a progressive drop, slowing the SB every few metres, and as soon as it hits the bottom, do a fast retrieve to mid water and repeat. If the LJs are around, they'll follow a slow retrieve a good 10m from the bottom - by which time your softie is usually history.

The larger snaps have no hesitation in hitting a fast bait, but it also helps keep the goldfish off it too.

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.
YakSolo_333
Kayak Make: Mirage
Kayak Model: 580
VHF Call Sign: ZMF3333

Now that's how you put on a TR, hate to go through several pages to find a few 30 cm pannies . Should come up for a visit sometime :y:
Enjoy every craft that can float, don't have one, have them all

Paddling Perfection BreakSea (Demo) /Prowler 4.7 (x2)/Wahoo fishing Ski/Mirage 580 Expedition/Preception Streamline/Perception Swing /Cobra triple[/center]

https://www.facebook.com/YakSolo
https://www.facebook.com/oceankayakers
https://www.oceankayakers.com
sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

I think I need to have a forum name change. PigfishKiller is my current thought after Saturday. I almost caught as many pigfish as anything else... This one even pulled a bit of string

Cheers HLD for the 'guided tour' :y: Oh yeah, my first 30km day too :whew: :whew:
PA051769.JPG
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420
Hairy Little Dwarf

Yeah, that was hilarious - I don't think I've even caught that many Pigfish in my entire fishing career
What a talent, keep it to yourself :lol:

Hairy Little Dwarf

paddlesnap wrote:8) Good Guiding skills and pictures :y:
Generally a Guide puts the punters onto fish though. I get the distinct feeling I was having all the fun, must be some weird Auckland technique they were using :lol:

sk8e8

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Yeah, that was hilarious - I don't think I've even caught that many Pigfish in my entire fishing career
What a talent, keep it to yourself :lol:
I'd just like to say, my skills aren't bait specific. I caught them on everything I put down. Gulp, Zmans, Jitterbugs... I'm happy to share the tips tho mate ;)

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420
kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

that was a great weekend, thanks guys for the fun :y:

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paddlesnap

Hope you kept a few Pig fish to eat they're real good , nice texture and flavor :y:
When I was out at Arid Is. off the Barrier the local was targeting them Surfcasting, as he reckoned better and a change from Snapper
Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Looks like a great trip guys :rock:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned
Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Nice one guys ! :y:
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

sk8e8

paddlesnap wrote:Hope you kept a few Pig fish to eat they're real good , nice texture and flavor :y:
When I was out at Arid Is. off the Barrier the local was targeting them Surfcasting, as he reckoned better and a change from Snapper
Nah mate, never knew they were any good to eat..

Extreme 605
fritter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4166

Pigfish Killer, thats a laugh. Remember KK at least had his handle before he caught his prize.
Rahul17
Kayak Make: barracuda
Kayak Model: sot
VHF Call Sign: donthaveone

R pigfish not good eating?
Hairy Little Dwarf

Rahul, Pigfish are not bad eating at all, as are leatherjackets (which are probably one of the few fish you skin like a banana! Really funky.)

Here's the Mad Couda... And a less than impressed Dwarf now sporting a few extra inch-long gashes in his paddle trou |(
MaD CouDa.jpg

Kerry
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Predator PDL

Good effort guys :clap:
paddlesnap

[quote="Hairy Little Dwarf"
Here's the Mad Couda... And a less than impressed Dwarf now sporting a few extra inch-long gashes in his paddle trou |(

Fricken things , Snakes are a pain , I certainly appreciate a layer of carbon/ kevlar between them and the leg area--

Chainsaw chaps to go with your boning /filleting Glove Dude- :lol: