A quick overniight mission up north

Go on then, tell us your stories...
Rabbit
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 555

We were booked in for a 4 night stay at Tauranga Bay over QB long weekend but then the weather forecast turned crap and we decided to pull the pin. But I saw both Thursday's and yesterdays weather could hardly be better so decided to do a quick one night mission whilst the weather Gods were being kind. Got a 'green card' from my good wife and leave from Thursday midday and bolted it north as soon as the clock struck 12 noon.

Hit the water at just after 3.30 and with limited daylight time i didn't muck around and boosted it to a shallow water spot that has worked well for me in the past. Got the drogue out and started flinging out the softbaits over very skinny water mainly using a 1/6th Oz jighead which had the greatest success. What a great session managed to get my bag limit in just over an hour...which I don't normally do but it was a fairly long time since i'd been fishing and with the effort and cost of this short trip I chose to keep them. Along the way I landed two rat kings as well as getting two jig heads straightened and crunched in half by what must have been two big snapper.....needless to say the Penn Slammer 3500 was spinning like a top on pretty much full drag of 12kg, given I didn't have much water depth protection over the reef. got back to the beach in the gloom
7 in the bag resized.jpg

The next morning I got up early, packed the car and headed 15 minutes south to try a new spot. Launched at 1st light in fantastic conditions for this spot which has a strong reputation for being pretty sketchy if the wind is up. Another great session on the softbaits, and like the evening before the early morning skinny water fishing was on fire. 1st, 2nd and 3rd casts all produced nice sized moochers around the 60cm mark.

The rest of the morning was fantastic. Put a lot of pretty large snapper back as well as many KY, apart from one which I used as big strip baits and got 'rewarded' by hooking into a rather large bronzie which was sent on its way after cutting it off as close to his gnashers as I dared venture. Ended up keeping five nice sized snapper. Also saw a whale off the kayak for the first time although it was around 300m away which was awesome.

Was back home by 5.30pm in time to great my good wife returning from work.

Big filleting and vacuum packing session ahead this morning and then i'll be sharing the love with family and some close friends who enjoy fresh fish.
Chomped hooks resized.jpg
5 in the bag resized.jpg
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Nice one Rob. You did the miles and got the rewards. Liking that. A in-out surgical strike :-).

I took two days off earlier this week knowing we are about to get a week of rubbish weather. Got to try out my new $28.50 wee okuma revenger reel, bought for giggles and to prove a point. Seems to do the bizzo nicely:
IMG_20210602_100454493.jpg
Rabbit

Wow that's a cracker. And fat! Well done!
kingiFiddler

Cheers. Was a good scrap. Dragged me a few kms, took 40 minutes, and at one point sucked all but the last 10m of braid off the wee spool. But it wasn't far off 20kgs so is to be expected. The day before, on it's first day, the new reel landed an estimated 18lb snapper, so it has started with a hiss and a roar. How long the plastic spool holds its shape or the screws stay rust free or the various plastic bushings ( only one ball bearing in this thing) stay wear free remains to be seen though.
Rabbit

What awesome scraps. It would be both heart breaking and hilarious to see that reel disintegrate in front of you. I have this mental picture of the reel 'exploding' and bits flying off all over the place :D :D :D
kingiFiddler

Maybe the fine-print says always wear eye protection in use. :-)

I watched my neighbour, who I'm still trying to put onto his first kingi, spend about 45 minutes on a not-insignificant shark a month or so back. In the end, after it dragged him out of the kayak and he handed me his rod, and after I had confirmed for myself it was a shark, I then spent a few very interesting minutes trying to break it off and I realised the cheap Okuma revenger reel he had on his rod was quite worth taking a punt on myself.

But yeah, I hear ya. Part of playing with cheap gear like I love doing is accepting it might go pear shaped at some stage. With the cheap Shimano IX rear-drags I have used, the anti-reverse kept breaking on almost every kingi fight, so while I like those reels, I got sick of repairing them. But no great meltdowns or grenading from them.

I think that stage for the Okuma might be when it gets a carbontex drag washer upgrade and I have to put the pressure on to try and avoid being spooled. If not on the rv-30 model (which probably doesn't have enough line to peel off it to cook anything), then on the next model up, the rv-55, which I bought too but haven't used yet.

But, what if it's like the mighty eclipse rod and turns out to be a superbly productive and cheap weapon - an absolute gem of a find that I would choose over every other rod out there, regardless of cost, for livebaiting? That's what I enjoy the most - it's like prospecting for gold. There are quite a few people waiting for me find out how the Okuma goes, either way, and I suspect many people desperately hoping it self-destructs sooner rather than later ;-)