26/11 Army Bay - Finally! Back out there, and fish to boot.

Go on then, tell us your stories...
matwould
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:30 pm

Finally! Managed to get back out on the kayak last night after nearly 7 months of being too busy when the weather is good, and being free when the weather is crap.

Moving house, a trip to japan and work plus a whole lot of other things did get in the way though. Been frothing to get out again.

But after 2 mates had been to Tiri Channel (launching from Army Bay) a week earlier and cleaning up, I got the message from a mate that the wind was dying off last night and we should head out to the same spot.

Loaded up the gear and made our way to launch at Army Bay. The whole Whangaparaoa Peninsula looked awesome as I was driving out to the end. I was a bit miffed when I drove onto the beach at Army Bay and there were white caps everywhere. Quite blustery. Was forecast to die down though so off we went.

Hard slog paddling directly into the wind and it was a good hour paddle to get to the tiri channel. Went out to the 20m mark and put the 80 gram orange slider down and within minutes had landed a fish around 31cm. Put it back and next drop another fish, around 15cm. Again, back it went.

Next drop produced a fish just under 40cm, and then the next drop got me one around 50cm. 2 in the bin. Great start.

By this stage I had drifted into slightly shallower water and thought they didn't seem to be biting as much so got out a sandwich and water as I was starving and thirsty after the long paddle.

Started my drift again, but from 25m this time, and had another 5 fish in 5 drops. Was unreal. All good size keepers.

My mate paddled over to me just as I was hooked up to my 7th keeper and he had a couple in the bin so we continued fishing for a little while longer so he could feed his friends/flatmates, and he finished with 5 keepers.

The wind had died down as forecast and the paddle home was long but pleasant.

Cleaned up all my gear and fish this morning, and I've just had a guy from the free fish heads app/website pick up all the frames.

After being on ice overnight I measured all the fish this morning - 36, 37, 37, 42, 43, 46, 50.

Great evening out. Long overdue.
2019.11.26 Tiri Channel.jpg

Kingaling
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:53 am

Nice work Mr. Wouldes, great when a plan comes together! Good to see people using that fish frames/heads app.
The bigger the mission, the better the fishin'

matwould

Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:58 pm

Kingaling wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:53 am
Nice work Mr. Wouldes, great when a plan comes together! Good to see people using that fish frames/heads app.
Sure is! And I was just going along with my mates plan so I'm glad it all worked out.

I use the Free Fish Heads app/website every time. It's so useful for me to get rid of them and for someone to get a good feed.

Fishfood
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 525
VHF Call Sign: ZMX9388

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:26 pm

Nice work. Didnt know about the free fish heads app. Sounds like a damn fine idea. Have downloaded and will give it a burst after tomorrows outing.

matwould

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:08 pm

Fishfood wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:26 pm
Nice work. Didnt know about the free fish heads app. Sounds like a damn fine idea. Have downloaded and will give it a burst after tomorrows outing.
Glad you've found it. If the first person doesn't respond, then keep trying. Someone will take them. I've had a couple of mates give up on it because the first person didn't respond/take them. But I will both send the message via the app and also text them individually. Usually just 3 or 4 people. Once you get one person, or maybe two, you can save them in your phone and just let them know every time and they'll come and get them. It's just like anything, gotta find someone reliable.

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:23 am

I gut/gill my heads/frames and freeze them. It's more hassle, but takes the pressure off finding them a home. I've started delivering them in bulk to a local food charity. I bet there's something similar in Auckland.

• Information