Anyone have an opinion on

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Ukkiwi

Wed May 02, 2012 7:17 pm

The Feelfree Moken 12?

Would be great to hear from anyone who has first hand experience, especially what they could be compared to in regards to stability, tracking and build quality.

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Wed May 02, 2012 7:26 pm

Ukkiwi wrote:The Feelfree Moken 12?

Would be great to hear from anyone who has first hand experience, especially what they could be compared to in regards to stability, tracking and build quality.
...well I guess my comments are based as follows.....dont think I've ever heard of them...we have about 1500 members on the Forum and I dont think I've ever heard anyone say they owned one and I think that speaks volumes...
People on here try all sorts of things, and I think that if no one (??) is using one then they havent appealed to many people...
Where are they made and what sort of support does the retailer offer.....???
Are they designed for NZ fishing conditions....or nice flat lakes in North America for instance....

Just a couple of things that I'd consider !!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Wed May 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

Ukkiwi

Wed May 02, 2012 7:44 pm

Wise words Hainesy.
I called into divespot in Mana the other day and they a have a couple in there. They look like a decent package for the price, and if what the salesman had to say is true there are no better kayaks on the market. My experience of kayaks being limited to drooling over the pictures on here and TM, I though I best start asking questions.

Ukkiwi

Wed May 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks Madmike, the guy on the video certainly seems convinced, but then I guess he is trying to sell them.

MadMike

Wed May 02, 2012 7:57 pm

It looks like a lake boat. a small lake boat to me.
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Wed May 02, 2012 8:02 pm

Ukkiwi wrote:Wise words Hainesy.
I called into divespot in Mana the other day and they a have a couple in there. They look like a decent package for the price, and if what the salesman had to say is true there are no better kayaks on the market. My experience of kayaks being limited to drooling over the pictures on here and TM, I though I best start asking questions.

The best sales people are often the people that use the product !!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Stonecross
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMW3804

Wed May 02, 2012 8:07 pm

Hainesy wrote:

The best sales people are often the people that use the product !!
Agree, Rusty likes his OK ;-)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3 Ultra - ZMW3804

MadMike

Wed May 02, 2012 8:17 pm

LOL at the salesman comment. that's a very brave and very dumb comment to make. Wonder what they have paddled to do a comparison with, It's nice to have confidence in your product but...... The thing with Kayaks is that there's not one that suits everyone. if there where that would be the only one out there and the rest would fall by the way side.

Stats for this best out there machine are

Length 12.4' (3.8 m)
Width 29" (75 cm)
Weight 72.7 lbs (33 kg)
Capacity 550 lbs (250 kg)

Bow storage locker
Innovative molded-in handles
Center mounting position for additional rod holders, GPS or fish finder
Handy flip up console for lures
Adjustable footrests
4 Fishing rod holders
8” rubber round hatch
Side net pockets
Comfortable seat with foam pad
Side paddle parks
Ample room behind seat for storage crate, live bait tank or diving tank with bungee cord
Wheel in the keel

Tracking 10
Maneuverability 10
Stability 10
Day Touring 6
Overnight Touring 6
Surfing 1
Fishing 10
Flat Water 10
Class I-II Whitewater 0
Ocean 6

This Banner displays it's intended use really

Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Wed May 02, 2012 8:51 pm

I dont have a LOT of kayak experience, but O do have sales experience. No.1 rule in sales is if you are selling to someone with little-no experience/knowledge - dazzle them with bullsh*t. This can be facts you cant back up, or non existant experience of your own.
No matter what the product, try it for yourself. If this is not possible, look for any forum with honest reviews from actual users.

Never trust a salesman unless he's happy to admit his product may not be right for you, and gives you an opportunity to try it for yourself.
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

MadMike

Wed May 02, 2012 10:11 pm

HeHe that would be for a one off sale that then ? cause you can guarantee they wont be back for more once they wise up.

demigod
Kayak Model: Espri

Wed May 02, 2012 10:50 pm

This Banner displays it's intended use really

Looks like a nice platform for duck shooting from on calm rivers or creeks :)

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to Yak fish and you won't hear from him most weekends :-P

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu May 03, 2012 7:54 am

Of course I have a bias which is I why I didn't jump in and make the first post but Hainesy makes the points I would have made, it's not proved popular and sold in high numbers here in NZ (but could be blamed on the distributor rather than the kayak), it's not been designed here in NZ for NZ conditions (and there are plenty that have as we have five SOT fishing kayak manufacturers in NZ), what is the warranty support (NZ manufacturers give up to lifetime warranties and warranty claims can easily be delt with here in NZ), so there are a few reasons against BUT all that said it still doesn't mean it won't do the job and get you out on the water fishing... SO see if you can take it for a spin before writing it off altogether...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Pointloader
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9774

Thu May 03, 2012 8:39 am

madmike wrote:HeHe that would be for a one off sale that then ? cause you can guarantee they wont be back for more once they wise up.
Yeah mate, I don't employ this tactic as my business is only successful because of my level of customer service, and being honest with my customers.
Hence why I said "Never trust a salesman unless he's happy to admit his product may not be right for you, and gives you an opportunity to try it for yourself."

You only have to look at any one of the many posts regarding advice for buying kayaks by Mental, Kayakpro and Limitless to see the best type of approach - Each one of these guys will honestly tell you to try all the options before deciding, and offer a trial paddle / tell you if they really think any particular kayak is not going to be the best fit for you. :y: :y:
There's only one reason that in many parts of the world people regard NZ as having some of the best customer service; We expect it for ourselves so naturally we offer the same to others.
https://www.facebook.com/FishingAddictsAnonymous
Viking Profish Reload, Viking Profish GT & Viking 2+1
Viking Kayaks Pro Team
Lowrance Pro-Staff
NZ Black Yaks 2015
ZMW9774

Jeff666
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Thu May 03, 2012 1:23 pm

Looking on the website all the photos shown are on lakes or smooth running rivers, agree with madmike looks like a lake boat. Interesting to try it out in a 25knot wind with some swelll and tide (it might handle that very well). Unless you only go out in flat calm conditions you need the confidence that your equipment will serve you correctly should the weather change, something I feel (personnelly) that comes with Viking and Ocean units (having seen them both perform in abismal conditions).
Old Town Predator 13
On the way The Old Town Predator PDL

saleswn

Thu May 03, 2012 4:09 pm

Another option is to Come into Fergs Kayaks on the water front and Demo and try out a few of the Ocean Kayak Prowlers and Barracuda kayaks if your interested we have a pretty good Demo Fleet and you can also Hire to take away for the day/weekend to try fishing off them.

Cheers
Dave
Retail
Fergs Kayaks Wellington

E-mail: retailwn@fergskayaks.co.nz
http://www.fergskayaks.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shed 6 Queens Wharf Wellington
Phone: 04 499 8898
Fax: 04 499 8896

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Thu May 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Sad but true. One of my favourite hobbies is harassing salesmen that are obviously trying to BS me.
Research is your greatest weapon when dealing with these tossers.
Like the others have said find somewhere that deals with multiple brands. I would think that should mean they are less biased to one brand (might not though).
Looking at this site it is obvious who the few market leaders are and that is for very good reason.
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

Ukkiwi

Thu May 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I'll strike the Moken off the list. It looks like a decent kayak, but as you say, not made in NZ for NZ conditions.
I'm heading into wellington at the weekend to try a few kayaks at Fergs, especially the prowler 13. I'm hoping there will be a bit of chop on the water, give me a chance to see how both me and the boat handle it.

Dreadfish
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

Fri May 04, 2012 3:32 pm

you might want to give Canoe and kayak a ring and try there Cobra range... and also Burnscoe at Seaview have the vikings available
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro

ThomasW

Mon May 07, 2012 10:54 pm

UKKiwi, to the best of my knowledge none of the people commenting (including myself) have any experience with the Moken so their opinion is not worth much. Before discounting it, try and track down user reports from people who have used it in similar conditions which you plan to.

Go and do a google 'discussion' search on "Moken 12", I did that and people have used them in the sea, chop, wind and swell around the UK and Australia and overall they seem to be pleased how the handle. They probably would not handle the rough and waves as well as a Stealth BFS but Stealths also are not made or designed for New Zealand conditions..... I am not saying its a good Kayak, I do not know, but I am not going to say its a bad choice and not fit for "New Zealand conditions" due to a few photos of it on a River....

How to do a Discussion search
Google your term.Then on the side menu click "More", the option "discussions" should appear. Click that and the search results would be limited to online discussions like this one.

• Information