10 Knots Zero Swell Conditions

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
DeltaDivingNZ
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: NIL

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:07 pm

Gidday guys!

So I'm itching to get out again.. As it goes my only free day this week is Thursday (even though Friday and Saturday are looking beautiful!! :headbang: )

Question is: I want to launch from NN and give it a go around there. It is forecast for 10 knot winds with 0 swell. I'm assuming that due to the lack of swell, conditions (in theory) shouldn't be too sloppy? I've only ever gone out on <5kt days so not sure what to expect.

On a side note - what apps/websites do people use for their marine forecasts? I usually check them all and try to draw an average.

Thanks in advance :y:

Badfisherman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:06 pm

I was put on to this website

https://www.windy.com/?-36.807,174.819,14,m:cDNak0v

Its awesome and usually pretty accurate

As for narrow-neck. I'm a beginner and been out a few times in 10 knots and its usually fine. Watch out for wind against the tide as sometimes the paddle back if you drive down to takapuna is a slog. Its pretty sheltered there

Stinky inky
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:22 pm

NN is ok in 10kts but as said wind against the tide can make it unpleasant, especially as the tide motors through there so be cautious, I use Wind Predict and if Destin's weather channel is working I often check this too. http://www.destin.co.nz/weather/ its very handy.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
Babylonian proverb
So fish more you will live longer....

Ocean kayak 4.3 GREEN

Cobra FnD

DeltaDivingNZ
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: NIL

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:04 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like the wind is only increasing on Thursday. Always the case on days when you're free, the wind is there. Days that you're busy, wind is no where to be found :lol: :headbang:

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:33 pm

Interesting website Badfisherman. So I check the wind speed, given as 10 knots outside our front door. I look at my anemometer and it says you'd be lucky to feel any wind, it is barely revolving. I go outside and I notice the air is just about moving, if there was a gust it might get to half a knot - if lucky.

There is an enormous difference between 1/2 a knot (or less) and 10 knots

Port Levy and at the surface it shows across the harbour but at 10,000 feet along the harbour. Err? The surface wind will follow the terrain so over there it will be getting the high altitude equivalent direction.

Basically, be warned, what it says and what is happening are only approximations.

Badfisherman
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:59 pm

Ah didn't know that - valid points

I generally have a look and if it's saying lumpy leave my kayak in the garage!

DocProfit
Kayak Model: Reload

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:14 pm

I use Windy.

I've only had to go home once due to the conditions being quite a bit worse than the prediction.

Thursday is looking a bit crap at this stage, worth keeping an eye on it though as it can change.

I've fishing NN A LOT in the last 3 years

My personal rule of thumb is once it goes past 20km, (not knots) I'm out.

That channel gets ugly after that, and it's just not fun to fish anymore.

SitDown

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:50 pm

I use my vhf at home, ch19 for Waitemata & ch71 for the Manukau
Way more accurate & up to date weather reports than any app I have used... give it a go :y:

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:57 pm

What does https://www.windy.com say? 4 knots, that's near 8 kph. which is a noticeable little bit of wind.

So what is it in reality? 0 knots, absolutely zero, zilch.

The other day when I could barely feel it my anemometer was just showing, only just rotating so if it isn't bothering to rotate today - zero wind. going outside I've got to hold my breath so as not to upset what I can feel - which is nothing.

• Information