Damage when tying kayak on roof?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Beanpole

Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:57 pm

Hey team, just have a query. Having recently bought a reload, I have been tying it top down on the roof of my car. Someone mentioned to me that the tie downs may cause an indentation in the hull and I should use cradles instead? Does anyone have any opinion on this? I don't use ratchet tie downs. and don't think I tie it down particularly hard so was hoping it would be all good.

Cheers!

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Angler 14
VHF Call Sign: none

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:18 pm

I used, on my previous 'yak, a straight bar roof rack, with the 'yak upside down on it, with 4 half a jandals, where the gunwales contacted the roof rack, I used ratchet straps but would not tighten them too much. Never had a problem.

My new 'yak, because of it's shape, cannot do the upside down thing and has to ride, right way up. So I got some of those cradle add-ons off Trademe for $60 or so and though I still use ratchet tied downs, not too tight, I am happy with the result.

Cheers and good luck, I also take care not to park the car with 'yak on in full sun in summer, without loosening the tie downs, when traveling the wind will keep it a little cool if there's a hatch open :)
Yu Co
Fishmaster Angler 14 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Badfisherman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:19 pm

Always use tie downs on a pro fish 400 and no issues at all but mines second hand so not too precious

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:38 pm

Nah upside down, tie downs rather than ratchets, don't leave it there permanently, and you'll be sweet (y)

I've used cradles on plastic kayaks and had more issues with them than when it was just upside down without them - denting in the summer and leaving black marks on the hull.
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

tuaman2
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish Reload/Tempo 2

Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:35 pm

Yeah I do the same with my reload, just as long as you take it off as soon as your home there is no trouble.

Left my tempo 2 on the racks for the next day in the hot sun and it left indentations... whoops!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:27 pm

Before the trailer, or when travelling with multiple yak, flat roof racks and tie downs ...don’t use ratchets as you will dent the hull if you get it too tight
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Beanpole

Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:03 pm

Cheers for the input guys, that's reassuring. Will be mindful not to leave it up there too long when we hit those summer days!

• Information