New kayaker after OK Prowler Ultra 4.7 test paddle

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Beanpole

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:47 pm

Hey guys, I’m new to the forum and looking at getting a kayak as a spearing platform with a bit of line fishing on the side. I have quite a few questions, if you can bear with me I would really appreciate some input.

I’m keen to stick to the ocean kayaks or viking, as people only have good things to say about both and I think it’s worth spending a bit extra for quality gear. My number one choice at the moment is the OK Prowler Ultra 4.7. I’m a bigger guy (6 ft 6”, 105 kegs) so the carrying capacity appeals, and I like the look of the rear well for easily holding fins etc (versus the front well on a 440 for example). Not to mention, going second hand I think I can get a lot more bang for my buck in extras versus a viking 440 or reload.

I have used a viking 440 in the past, but I am hoping to do some overnight camping trips so a sealed front hatch appeals. With this in mind i have looked at the reloads. There are quite a few of them floating around second hand, obviously they are a mean machine, but I’m not sure they are really designed with diving in mind. Has anyone on here used a reload for diving?

With regards to the OK ultra 4.7, I am also curious to know how people get on trying to get one out over a surf break? Also, there are a few different models floating around, ones with the locking front hatch versus the cross strapped model. Is there any other difference between these two models?

Finally, I have talked to a few knowledgable people and read quite a few posts and the general recommendation is to try before you buy so that’s really the main point of this post. Does anyone have an OK prowler ultra 4.7 or reload in the Auckland region that I could possibly try out post lockdown? Box of beer or whatever you fancy in it if that helps!

Cheers,
Beanpole

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:47 am

I can't help you with a sea trial as I have the OK Ultra 4.3. I think the front hatch on all the 4.3 and 4.7s is the locking type, the cross strap type was on the earlier Elite 4.5 and Prowler 13s and 15s - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. The rear well is the same on the 4.3 as the 4.7, there's just no livebait well on the 4.3.

I haven't powered out through any truly heavy waves, but I know my 4.3 will take minimal water through the front hatch from small waves. There are ways to reduce this further if its a concern e.g. add extra foam to reduce the gap between the lip of the lid and the combing. I do find my centre console collects a bit of water from hitting waves, but again this could be reduced.

I'm 6ft and a similar weight and the 4.3 takes my weight comfortably - that's not to say a couple less kilos wouldn't keep me a bit drier, but you tend to get wet on a sit on top anyway (more so if you're spear fishing from it).
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

Biggles
Kayak Make: Oceans
Kayak Model: Prowler
VHF Call Sign: None

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:18 am

Hi there, I'm 6'4" and around 95kg. I've had a 4.5 prowler for many years, they track well, very stable and for me the position of the rod holders is fine. Build quality the same as Viking-good. Glad to hear you're not gong down the track of a cheap Chinese yak; you really do get what you pay for. I have a RA4 and getting the yak on top as opposed to the Pulsar I had was an issue so I made a roller type loader (pic) attached.
Attachments
Kayak Loader1.jpg
Kayak Loader2.jpg

Beanpole

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Cheers for the reply guys. Good to hear you both speak highly of the ocean kayaks. I would love to buy new and support local business but budget doesn't quite extend that far. Definitely think second hand of one of these brands over a cheap Chinese yak is the better decision though.

With all the gear I'm carrying (plus a few fish hopefully), I think the 4.7 carrying capacity is big plus. It's gonna be a bit of a mission putting it on top of the car though, I'm hoping I'll be able to man handle it successfully. That's a pretty mint set up you have going there biggles, might have to look at rigging up something similar.

tuaman2
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish Reload/Tempo 2

Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:09 pm

To give you an idea of the viking profish reload, it's a dream! Very stable, quick through the water, plenty of space in the front enclosed hatch for gear. If you can get one with a 'chill pod' on the back these can be used as a dive float to store your fish in when spearing. Just connect your line up to it and drag it around.

Super stable, haven't dived from it myself but easily able to turn around on it and sit on the side with not too much rock.

Easy as to get back in on, side carry handles make it pretty easy!

Pretty manageable once all the gear is off when transporting, I lift mine on and off my car roof racks (kia sportage) with no issues.

Can take the tackle pod off and replace for the 'kids seat' if you want to just dive off of it for extra room.

Hope some of that helps!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Biggles
Kayak Make: Oceans
Kayak Model: Prowler
VHF Call Sign: None

Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:15 pm

Re kayak loader, let me know if you want any info, easy to make.

Beanpole

Fri May 01, 2020 10:15 am

Will let you know @biggles!

@tuaman, cheers for the info on the reload. They do look like an awesome yak, and it's interesting that there are a lot more of them floating around second hand than the 440's. Just a quick question, I can see that front hatch has plenty of storage room from Vikings promotional videos, however, I was under the impression from the reading I have done that opening up hatches like that out on the water is a bit of a no no? As it can let water straight into the hull? So that kinda rules it out for putting any gear I want to access on the water right? Which leaves the back well, which could be a bit of a cozy fit with fins, weight belt etc...

I do like that idea with the chillpod, and most of them have that as part of the set up, which is pretty epic.

Cheers for the input!

tuaman2

Fri May 01, 2020 4:52 pm

Beanpole wrote:Will let you know @biggles!

@tuaman, cheers for the info on the reload. They do look like an awesome yak, and it's interesting that there are a lot more of them floating around second hand than the 440's. Just a quick question, I can see that front hatch has plenty of storage room from Vikings promotional videos, however, I was under the impression from the reading I have done that opening up hatches like that out on the water is a bit of a no no? As it can let water straight into the hull? So that kinda rules it out for putting any gear I want to access on the water right? Which leaves the back well, which could be a bit of a cozy fit with fins, weight belt etc...

I do like that idea with the chillpod, and most of them have that as part of the set up, which is pretty epic.

Cheers for the input!
Front hatch would only be accessible from in the water, cant reach it from the seat and I'm sure itd roll if you tried to kneel to get it open!

And yeah if you opened it on the water and got water inside then it's in the hull. I keep a spare paddle in there (broken down) and fits fine, could use the chill pod as storage for weight belt and fins etc?

Got a mate who I fish with all the time who is looking to get into a reload from his ocean kayak, he does a lot of diving and spearfishing also and loves what the reload has to offer.

I agree with your idea of testing them out, hard to buy off advice and reviews purely as some guys love their ocean kayaks and others their vikings. I've only paddled vikings so i am biased!

If you were down in dunedin I'd be happy to lend you it for a test! Haha

Beanpole

Sat May 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Interesting to hear your opinion on that bro. Ended up calling Grant at viking, great guy with lots of sound advice. Definitely makes me want to go down the viking path... He said he's pretty comfortable accessing that front hatch on the water if he just swings his legs over the side. But you're right, I'll probably just have it all in behind the seat anyway. Really appreciate the offer bro, but I'm up in Auckland so it would be one helluva trip. I should probably wait until after lockdown so that I can try before I buy, but I don't think I can keep my finger off the trigger if I see a deal! Will post up what I end up buying, thanks for the input!!

tuaman2

Sat May 02, 2020 5:52 pm

Great idea giving grant a call.

Either way you go, you'll be on the water in a good yak!

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sun May 03, 2020 11:09 am

Just to add to the discussion.... I’ve got a Reload (& an OK 4.3 !) and I use the front hatch to store broken down rods / reels , fish finder etc etc when I’m doing surf launches / re entries.
It can be accessed from the seat as Grant as suggested by just straddling the yak... ie a leg over each side, although if you’re a bit more flexible you can get to it by leaning forward.
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Beanpole

Mon May 04, 2020 9:39 am

Hainesy wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:09 am
Just to add to the discussion.... I’ve got a Reload (& an OK 4.3 !) and I use the front hatch to store broken down rods / reels , fish finder etc etc when I’m doing surf launches / re entries.
It can be accessed from the seat as Grant as suggested by just straddling the yak... ie a leg over each side, although if you’re a bit more flexible you can get to it by leaning forward.
Thanks for the input Hainesy, that's reassuring to know, I have just done the deed and bought a reload (doesn't really fit with the title on this thread haha). Grant organised a pretty awesome deal, so I'm stoked! Looking forward to getting out there and justifying the expenditure over winter!

tuaman2

Mon May 04, 2020 7:39 pm

Enjoy the yak! You'll love it!

• Information