Pukehina BOP

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
matwould
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:58 am

Hi All,

My lil bro is getting married in Pukehina, BOP on 20th March.

If the weather is looking like it'll be ok for a kayak then I'll slap it on the roof and take it down with me.

I'll be staying at Pukehina on the beach (I think - mrs booked it).

I'm not from the area so any help appreciated.

My plan would be to drag a softbait/slow jig in rod holder and then actively fish a softbait or slowjig too.

Can I launch from Pukehina beach? Is it 'always' a surf launch? Can't say I'm well versed in surf launches but I'm reasonably fit and have been kayaking for many years now.

Cheers,

Mat

SitDown

Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:34 pm

Wasn't into kayak fishing when I lived down that way
Pukehina mostly dumps on the beach. I used to surf fish that estuary (newdicks) at the western end of Pukehina parade, plus the Kaituna cut, not many times Ive seen it flat around there

Best to go to Decoro at the Mount & pick the brains of the guys in that tackle shop, they will see you right

sniperyak
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 400

Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:52 pm

ye hey bro im from further east of your intended fishing destination but there is a club in that location BOP yakmen you could ask them , i have fished rogers rd and there is alot of structure in that area which means you cant let your soft baits or slow jigs sit to long on the bottom or you will be paddling the oposite direction to get them out. lol . yep have to agree there is surf but..... at times there is none , especially at that time of the year as it starts cooling off and longer slight southerly winds start.you could get lucky with conditions! . i have had alot of experince with surf at our end ( whakatane matata area ) and the biggest tips is from me is.......if alone ...conditions under .5m swell , getting out isnt the issue its coming back in.... so before coming back in , disassemble all your rods put your reels into a waterproof dry bag and stow away into cetre console, breakdown 2 piece soft bait rods( if they can) and i use the bungy from the softbait compartment on centre to secure down to kayak. i only use two soft bait rods(veritus 7ft) but they fit snug and between my two railblaza holders and around my lowrance fish finder at the centre/front of my profish 400 , my catch net is clipped(slides up and down) to my paddle holder bungy then stowed into my chillpod under lid so i know im not gonna lose that as well. Biggest reason for why i am telling you about stowing away gear is so that if you come off your kayak you can easily flip it back over and you dont have rods dangling and other things dangling that you could get entangled with...... well to me thats more important ... not the gear... im not gonna try blab on about surfing because i cant! ,thats why pick my days and conditions so i dont have to but if you know how to broach then use it sometimes works for inshore dump waves. Never have your nose straight towards shore come in on an angle 45 degree angle of a shore dump and prepare to broach when wave turns white Has worked for me anyway ...not promising its gonna work for you lol. most of the time when ive had to contend with surf is when trying to come back in on a lowtide period i always try to get back in on a hightide period alot of the beaches in our area have a second sand bar which can cause waves to break out far which is definately a bad thing to happen ( i fish alone most of the time and not a strong swimmer) so yeah i hope this info helps you if you do decide to head out. cheers wi

sniperyak
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 400

Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:01 pm

i dont want to down grade the surf but its not that bad at roger rd if you can hit a .3 to .4 swell. and the fishing is good this time of the year. goodluck bro trying to find a fish mate down that way.

matwould
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:46 pm

Thanks guys. I'll see what the weather is doing in the lead up and make a plan. Sounds like Rogers Road is a go.

HookiT
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:04 pm

sniperyak wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:52 pm
ye hey bro im from further east of your intended fishing destination but there is a club in that location BOP yakmen you could ask them , i have fished rogers rd and there is alot of structure in that area which means you cant let your soft baits or slow jigs sit to long on the bottom or you will be paddling the oposite direction to get them out. lol . yep have to agree there is surf but..... at times there is none , especially at that time of the year as it starts cooling off and longer slight southerly winds start.you could get lucky with conditions! . i have had alot of experince with surf at our end ( whakatane matata area ) and the biggest tips is from me is.......if alone ...conditions under .5m swell , getting out isnt the issue its coming back in.... so before coming back in , disassemble all your rods put your reels into a waterproof dry bag and stow away into cetre console, breakdown 2 piece soft bait rods( if they can) and i use the bungy from the softbait compartment on centre to secure down to kayak. i only use two soft bait rods(veritus 7ft) but they fit snug and between my two railblaza holders and around my lowrance fish finder at the centre/front of my profish 400 , my catch net is clipped(slides up and down) to my paddle holder bungy then stowed into my chillpod under lid so i know im not gonna lose that as well. Biggest reason for why i am telling you about stowing away gear is so that if you come off your kayak you can easily flip it back over and you dont have rods dangling and other things dangling that you could get entangled with...... well to me thats more important ... not the gear... im not gonna try blab on about surfing because i cant! ,thats why pick my days and conditions so i dont have to but if you know how to broach then use it sometimes works for inshore dump waves. Never have your nose straight towards shore come in on an angle 45 degree angle of a shore dump and prepare to broach when wave turns white Has worked for me anyway ...not promising its gonna work for you lol. most of the time when ive had to contend with surf is when trying to come back in on a lowtide period i always try to get back in on a hightide period alot of the beaches in our area have a second sand bar which can cause waves to break out far which is definately a bad thing to happen ( i fish alone most of the time and not a strong swimmer) so yeah i hope this info helps you if you do decide to head out. cheers wi
:y:

• Information