Matauri Bay

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Fishfood
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 525
VHF Call Sign: ZMX9388

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:15 pm

Heading up to camp at Matauri Bay this Wednesday 12th till Friday. Any tips, pointers, sage advice or company gratefully accepted.

matwould
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:46 pm

Fishfood wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:15 pm
Heading up to camp at Matauri Bay this Wednesday 12th till Friday. Any tips, pointers, sage advice or company gratefully accepted.
Awesome place.

Great campground, pretty well stocked shop.

Softies have worked exceptionally well in the past for me at Matauri - often near the surface on the drop in 7-8m between islands.

So many options though. Depends how far you want to paddle really. There are pins behind the islands for kingi's.

Often there's a hefty breeze going against you when you're paddling back to the beach so be wary of that.
Last edited by matwould on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fishfood

Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:05 pm

Thanks for that.

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:47 pm

Hi Fishfood. I've paddled out the Waipu river mouth four times in total now, and twice I have either come down with a tummy bug or skin infection on my lower legs, or both. Is it just coincidence or pollution? Anyone else up that way noticed this? Doesn't happen to me anywhere else.

Fishfood

Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:51 pm

Sorry to hear that. I use the river frequently, my wife and I, several neighbours and about a 1000 Auckland refugees swim in it every high tide over the summer and I haven't heard of any issues. Will keep an ear out. Last week's flounder were delicious and had no ill effects. I tend not to drink the water while paddling. Maybe you should try that?.
Seriously though. In response to your question I was just talking to our neighbour who reminded me that a dairy farmer was sentenced for illegal discharging effluent in to the river. For the fifth time. Don't know when the events occurred but the court case was about August last. Perhaps you just got unlucky but they hadn't heard of any similar issues to yours.

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:20 pm

Thanks. Just trying to work out if I want to try again. It just seems like too much of a coincidence, but stranger things have happened. And no, I don't drink the water if I can avoid it.

• Information