Newbie - auckland - what helped when starting out?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:22 am

Best help when starting out? Join a club if possible. Even just join a in on a club outing.
Ask questions. Look at what works for others.
Online forums, Facebook etc often have guys posting about planned trips, join them.
Leash everything except your gaff. Foam on the handle so it floats is better than having it swinging around your feet and legs if you end up in the water
Oh, and don’t forget sun protection , clothing is better than sunscreen
Be safe, have fun

Glass is Class.. dedant

Badfisherman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks for all the help everyone. This has been awesome. Kayak has turned up so just sorting the safety gear out and will get out during the break.

Sun protection is a good one, as a pasty Englishman do not want to end looking like a tomatoe!

Keen to join a club in the new year, in onehunga so think east auckland looks closest. Will drop them a line

Uncle Mole
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:04 pm

I'd recommend the humble fish stringer. On a few occasions I have done all the hard work in getting the fish into the kayak and then a momentary lapse in concentration has seen said fish jump back into the drink followed by a fair degree of swearing. Snapper are slippery fish at the best of times, so now as soon as the fish is in the kayak and I have decided to keep it, I get on the stringer and then I can relax and deal with it knowing that it's not going to escape. It also makes it really easy to get it into the bin behind you.

I'd totally agree that you should get a paddle leash, but I have to admit to not being a fan of rod leashes, I just find they are something extra to get tangled, but I'll totally admit that it depends on where you are launching from.

Badfisherman
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:59 pm

SitDown wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:47 pm
probably over the top, who knows, I was drawn to these 2 just after scoring my yak

https://www.canoeandkayak.co.nz/shop/co ... -auckland/
especially good to learn how to get back on your yak if you fall out of it, not as easy as you may think

https://www.boatingeducation.org.nz/cou ... rtificate/
Did this course at the weekend with canoe and kayak. Highly recommend for a newbie. Instructors were great. It’s always nice to know you can haul your arse back into a kayak if you fall out! Learnt a lot and got some valuable time on the water.

• Information