Newbie - auckland - what helped when starting out?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Badfisherman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:28 am

Hi Guys

Long time reader, first time poster and all that.

Just bought myself first fishing Kayak and look forward to starting fishing adventures. Done plenty of fishing in the past off boats with others but looking forward to having easier access with a kayak.

Currently setting everything up and been reading all the great advice on this forum to guide me. Got me wondering, what was most helpful when first starting out or what do you wish you knew when you first started that helped you later?

Any ideas much appreciated

Cheers

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:47 am

• Knowing where to go.
  • Realising that you actually need very little gear, so just taking the essentials and ensuring they are easily accessible while fishing.
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

matwould
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:58 am

Safety first - PFD/lifejacket, covered phone then if budget allows get a marine radio and plb.

Then it depends on what type of fishing you're doing. If softbaiting I wouldn't be without my drift chute/drogue.

Agree with TwoSpoons, don't need much gear to start off with.

Then just get out there and keep trying.

tuaman2
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish Reload/Tempo 2

Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:11 am

Agree with Matwould, safety first, I made sure I invested in a good PFD, VHF and PLB. Feel a lot more confident and comfortable being on the water with those 3 (plus mobile in dry case).

Paddle leashes!! Have had multiple times where I would have lost gear with two rods hooked on fish trying to wrangle one in, dispatch it and dump in chill pod while trying to keep the other one hooked up.

If you can afford it, a rudder would be next! Makes the paddle a whole lot easier.

From there it's all the rest, fish finder, extra tackle, new paddle etc.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Badfisherman

Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:49 pm

Awesome, thanks for the replies.

Yep first on the list is a pdf and a vhf radio.

Kayak comes with a rudder so good to know they are useful.

Will be softbaiting/fishing microjigs so will invest in a drogue.

Picked a few spots from here from the trip reports. Probably head over to narrowneck as sounds like its a good place to start.

Thanks again

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:04 pm

Yeah, It's hard to know where the priorities lie. I mean , do all the safety stuff , by all means , but theres mores to it than that ! Even if you aren;t going out , check the tides , the weather forecast, all that stuff. In Auckland you are lucky because the coastline and launching spots are varied, so that makes things easier , but conversely there is way more traffic on the water. Thats some thing we here in Hawkes Bay don't need to consider, however we are very open to the weather, with not much structure , so getting out into open water is risky for us . In my opinion, although by nature I am a solitary beast, its good to have a mate on the water, but don't let that statement put you off early morning solo trips. theres nothing more rewarding than hitting the water,windless, at daybreak ! Plan your trips, even if at short notice , and be prepared to abort at any stage. Recently mIy mate Malcolm & I launched , poked our noses out & paddled home ! Why? Too windy !I know , going out would be fine , but a following wind in any craft is a bitch, except if you have a spinnaker up and are sailing ! My message here really is read the conditions , conservatively, and base your fishing trip on that, After a while you will tune in to local conditions and make calls accordingly. Ive been hyped up for kayak fishing on my days off , gone to the waters edge and driven home ,back to bed , Too windy, too early. The breeze will only build .So.. a summary of my thoughts ? Read the conditions , every day, not just your fishing day , every day!

Badfisherman

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks hermodo. Lots to think about there. Def only want to be out in good weather until I have plenty of practice in the kayak. Don’t want to be a story in NZ herald!

Fishfood
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 525
VHF Call Sign: ZMX9388

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:41 pm

Leash it or buy a new one. Leash everything.and only take half of what you put out on the bench. Except safety stuff. Dont scrimp on safety stuff.

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:52 pm

Fishfood wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:41 pm
Leash it or buy a new one. Leash everything.and only take half of what you put out on the bench. Except safety stuff. Dont scrimp on safety stuff.
+2 Leash your rods and cameras. I've dropped some expensive gear overboard this year. Also check out the Coastguard app. Download from the Apple app store for IOS or Play Store for Android. It has the latest weather conditions, tides, wind, etc. Good luck.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 7.43.03 PM.png
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Badfisherman

Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:01 am

Thanks Guys, ive ordered some leashes from marine deals. Will check out coastguard app

Unlucky on the rod!

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:16 pm

And for success catching fish, get out on the water and get hooks, in the water :D
VALKOHAI
Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:47 pm

probably over the top, who knows, I was drawn to these 2 just after scoring my yak

https://www.canoeandkayak.co.nz/shop/co ... -auckland/
especially good to learn how to get back on your yak if you fall out of it, not as easy as you may think

https://www.boatingeducation.org.nz/cou ... rtificate/

Badfisherman

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:11 am

Thanks, was looking at that course after speaking to the guy in canoe and kayak in Sandringham. Thought it may stop me being clueless!

Just need my yak now So I can actually get out on water, it left Viking a week ago, watching toll log it at random places around New Zealand. Hopefully they will finally realise it’s supposed to be sent to Auckland!

Fish4MentalHealth
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.1

Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:57 am

Best thing I did long before I bought my kayak was watch beginners guide/instructional videos from the likes of Rob Fort and Kerry Flowers etc etc. Learned alot of quality information about safety and equipment and dos and don'ts before I even got on the water. After that it's all about time on the water... learning conditions, reading the weather, finding your limits and getting comfortable. Great idea is to join a local kayak fishing club as well 🤙

Good luck

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:11 pm

Some great advice above. Things that come to mind are:

1) A kayak is not a boat, more is less in terms of how much crap you take with you. Two, or even one rod is sufficient to catch fish when you are starting out.

2) Forget bait fishing. This may be a little contentious, but it isn't required. It's messy and attracts sharks. Anchoring and berley deployment are a little more complicated on a yak. Concentrate on soft baits and perhaps, slow jigs if you plan to fish in deeper water.

3) Get a decent drogue/sea anchor/drift chute. Many that are sold for kayaks are too small in my experience.

4) If conditions are borderline, stay at home until you work out what you doing. As the saying goes, it's better to be at home wishing you were out than being out wishing you were at home.

Ferret
Kayak Make: Container Door Special!
Kayak Model: Two person tank
VHF Call Sign: Nil

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:51 pm

These posts are great! They have reminded me that i need to practise "falling out" and getting back in...

And the leashes sound nice, but my leashes are just some rope that I cut to suit - a real bargain!!

Badfisherman

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. All awesome and lots to think about . Definitely keen to find a club.

Just need to bloody kayak to turn up! Toll have finally worked out the right city so that's a positive!

Untill then have to settle for youtube and this forum!

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:03 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Forget bait fishing. This may be a little contentious, but it isn't required. It's messy and attracts sharks. Anchoring and berley deployment are a little more complicated on a yak. Concentrate on soft baits and perhaps, slow jigs if you plan to fish in deeper water
Come on mate, sometimes you need your "fix" when you're hanging out

A sou west 15kt wind against an incoming tide is not ideal
Anchoring up bait fishing changes that once its too windy to lure fish it..... puts fish on the table & saves a cancelled trip because too windy to go out

But yes, lure fishing is tons better when the weather suits

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:33 am

SitDown wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:03 pm
AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Forget bait fishing. This may be a little contentious, but it isn't required. It's messy and attracts sharks. Anchoring and berley deployment are a little more complicated on a yak. Concentrate on soft baits and perhaps, slow jigs if you plan to fish in deeper water
Come on mate, sometimes you need your "fix" when you're hanging out

A sou west 15kt wind against an incoming tide is not ideal
Anchoring up bait fishing changes that once its too windy to lure fish it..... puts fish on the table & saves a cancelled trip because too windy to go out

But yes, lure fishing is tons better when the weather suits

I haven't put a bait on a hook for 5 years, maybe longer (apart from the occasional hapuka trip on a mate's boat) and I seem to do OK. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:33 am

Last edited by AndrewRawlingson on Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

• Information