winter kayak fishing

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
revfisher
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: 4.3 Prowler

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:54 am

Hey all,

So I started kayak fishing during summer just gone. I am planning on going out for a fish soon but thought it would be handy to get some tips on winter fishing. In the summer I just wore shorts singlet and hat, I'm in Auckland fishing off the East Coast. However, I'm concerned about the cold, so I was thinking of just getting a wet suit and wearing a wind proof jacket over the top. Did you guys think that works or is there a better idea?

Also just any general winter fishing tips would be great so I can maximise my time :-)

Thanks,

Rev

TBreezy

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:33 am

Hey mate. Winter fishing is awesome. It's not too hot and there's usually less boat traffic.

My biggest reservation with a wetsuit is the ability to piss. Unless you're cool with pissing your pants, which admittedly would be nice and warm in this situation, a wetsuit is a bit of a hassle.

Personally, I'm ok with cold legs and just wear boardies, sometimes I'll wear thermal leggings underneath and even less will wear waterproof rain pants - this is mostly to stop water creeping up the back of my shirt over time on those extra cold mornings. I'm not usually out for more than a few hours though so this suits me fine.

As for the top half - thermal shirt, wool jumper (both of which still keep you warm if wet) and a waterproof jacket. It's been pretty good for the last few winters.

I don't usually stay completely dry, which I'm comfortable with, so if that's a goal you're looking to achieve, perhaps some of the others have some good solutions.

B0ydie
Kayak Make: stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 460
VHF Call Sign: ZMW7673

Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:54 am

I wear these
https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/thermals ... rmal-pants

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/thermals ... e-rash-top

marinedeals have them on special from time to time then a windproof/splashproof top and pants over the top and wetsuit booties
they solve the problem of having to take a leak

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Profish 400

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:15 pm

I’m good with winter fishing so long as my feet are warm I use palm launching boots >> https://palmequipmenteurope.com/product/nova

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kingaling
Kayak Model: Prowler

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:57 am

If you want a top end option for kayak fishing - this is the way to go: https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/sharkski ... e-rash-top

My old man got me one for my birthday, seemed a bit over the top but holy hell this thing is amazing, keeps you toasty warm, but has good breath-ability so you don't overheat at all! It's a waterproof almost wet-suit like fabric on the outside, with a fleecy material inner. It will still keep you warm if you end up in the water.

For the legs I wear a merino thermal pants, and waterproof pants over the top. With wetsuit booties or old shoes for my feet (mainly cos I launch at dawn and wet concrete/sand is fekn cold.)
The bigger the mission, the better the fishin'

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:44 am

I definitely rate high top footwear for keeping your feet warm and dry. I have the NRS Boundary boots => https://www.paddlerzone.co.nz/index.php ... cts_id=157. They're high enough to avoid the water and tight enough to stop ingress if you do take one step too many.

Then I wear long dry pants, with polypro longjohns underneath if its really cold.

Then a sharkskin rapid dry top and paddle jacket over top. I might consider a merino or poly pro top as well if it's going to stay cold. Otherwise I generate too much heat when I paddle.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

revfisher

Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:57 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice. Will have a look through it all. The reason I thought wet suit was I don't mind getting wet as long as I am warm. The Aropec gear looks really nice, might have to get some of them. I have some diving booties which I wore during summer as I don't like the idea of something biting my toe when I dangle my feet over the edge :rofl:
Would aropec + dive boots + beany + windproof jacket suffice? Obviously it depends person to person. Maybe I just try it out and if I get cold I know it isn't enough :lol:

B0ydie
Kayak Make: stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 460
VHF Call Sign: ZMW7673

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:01 pm

the aropec stuff is very similar to the sharkskin I just wear that then the waterproof jacket and pants over the top as mentioned earlier
Casualtyward and awondering are right about the waterproof boots does make a big difference having warm tootsies

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Profish 400

Kingaling
Kayak Model: Prowler

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:09 pm

If you follow a layering system you'll be right mate.:
Base layer, (e.g merino top) insulation layer (e.g polar fleece), and a shell layer (e.g waterproof/windproof jacket).

This gives you flexibility if you get too hot you can remove a layer etc.

The bigger the mission, the better the fishin'

revfisher

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:23 am

Thanks, it is all helpful. One thing I have to work with is the fact that I always end up sitting in water, dunno if it is just my weight at 105kg, but water always comes in scupper holes or laps over side with swell etc, so want stuff that will keep me warm when wet. I'll check it all out and find some stuff!

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:40 pm

On my Stealth I sat in a puddle, didn’t matter, arse heat keeps it warm because there’s no scupper letting fresh cold sea water in under there. I wore thermal leggings, summertime too ,it keeps the sunburn away, Rasdex paddle pants over the top as an outer layer, windproof and water proof enough. Worthwhile spending a bit more for good stuff. Shell type outer layer protects the thermal layer from scales and slimy blood from the fish too.
I found a steamer snorkeling wetsuit very uncomfortable and too restrictive for paddling, and they get cold when wet with the wind chill.

Glass is Class.. dedant

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:40 pm

On my Stealth I sat in a puddle, didn’t matter, arse heat keeps it warm because there’s no scupper letting fresh cold sea water in under there. I wore thermal leggings, summertime too ,it keeps the sunburn away, Rasdex paddle pants over the top as an outer layer, windproof and water proof enough. Worthwhile spending a bit more for good stuff. Shell type outer layer protects the thermal layer from scales and slimy blood from the fish too.
I found a steamer snorkeling wetsuit very uncomfortable and too restrictive for paddling, and they get cold when wet with the wind chill.

Glass is Class.. dedant

DocProfit
Kayak Model: Reload

Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:43 pm

Auckland doesn't get that cold.

Just went out today and there was almost no one out there
Attachments
7w.jpg

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:28 pm

full bag again eh, nice one Doc

I did NN during the week, evening mish to change of light, bait burley sesh off taka cliffs, stacks of snaps mid 20s to 34, kept 2 around 40
Reckon sliders & softies would have been better

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:57 am

revfisher wrote:
Thanks, it is all helpful. One thing I have to work with is the fact that I always end up sitting in water, dunno if it is just my weight at 105kg, but water always comes in scupper holes or laps over side with swell etc, so want stuff that will keep me warm when wet. I'll check it all out and find some stuff!
I'm about the same weight and find there's always a bit of water at the bottom of my prowler too. I reckon that's about the point at which the seat sits below water level. I can always feel the point when my waterproof pants start to leak too because the water comes in somewhere unpleasant...
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

revfisher

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:49 pm

Casualtyward wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:57 am
revfisher wrote:
I'm about the same weight and find there's always a bit of water at the bottom of my prowler too. I reckon that's about the point at which the seat sits below water level. I can always feel the point when my waterproof pants start to leak too because the water comes in somewhere unpleasant...
Ha, glad I'm not the only one! I'll prolly go for something that can just get wet and stay warm lol

DoubleD
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:25 am

If your on the east coast go check out NZ Sailing on the Silverdale industrial estate. Great gear and really reasonable prices. I’ve been wearing my Rooster gear for three winter seasons now and it’s as good as new, warm, waterproof and super comfortable. Highly recommend it. I have the Aquafleece Pro and Hifit trousers. Great combo and you’ll never get cold.

https://www.nzsailing.com/shop-by-brand ... g/clothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

revfisher

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:24 pm

Ended up going with
https://www.canoeandkayak.co.nz/shop/br ... ong-pants/
and
https://www.canoeandkayak.co.nz/shop/cl ... leeve-top/
With a windbreaker should suffice. Thanks for all the advice!

• Information