Gisborne?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
TC NZ
Kayak Make: Viking, OK
Kayak Model: Reload & 4.3 Ultra & Espri

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:26 am

Despite numerous searches, I haven't really found any info on kayak fishing out of Gisborne.

Late plan change means I'm staying at the Top Ten right there on the beach near the river mouth in town for a couple days later this month. I've never actually been there and would be keen to take the yak and gear.

Anyone go out from there -- anyone got any tips, tricks - what to do, where to go, where not to go?

It also looks like you can avoid the waves close to the river mouth. Looks like a big patch of the bay is off limits to fishing but if you skirt along the coast north of town it looks ok. Lots of fishy-looking spots anyway. Or...no?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:28 am

I used to live in Gissy , but at that time I only used to surf cast , and do the odd trip out in a tinnie with a mate . Much of the town has changed , especially the waterfront area but no doubt the sea has remained itself.
If you want to launch a kayak I would say the harbour channel is the best bet, I suspect that this would come with all the usual "port" cautions, but you could launch in the river and paddle out , Waikanae beach is known for its surf, and would be on your right going out , a long sandy beach with no structure at all, and quite open to weather ( like all the area is really).
To you left , or port side in maritime speak, is Kaiti Beach , which is less attractive as a swimming beach, nestled under Kaiti hill, this is where the Gisborne Sailing Club launches . From memory they use a channel through what is basically a shallow rocky shelf that runs all around the beach in this area . High tide covers most of it , but the tidal drop in Gisborne is reasonable so low tide exposes most of it. In some spots you will find reasonable drop offs on the outside of these reefs and in my experience plenty of sharks too. A good way to scope all this out is to drive to the top of Kaiti Hill to the lookout and you can get an overview of the whole area. Hope this is of some use, Oh , if you get a chance , north of Gisborne at Tatapori, about 10 minutes drive, they apparently hand feed these massive big stingrays in the shallows . I've seen it on TV but never been there to watch that . Tatapori is a nice spot too, and moving back towards the city Makarori is an idyllic east coast beach as well.

TC NZ
Kayak Make: Viking, OK
Kayak Model: Reload & 4.3 Ultra & Espri

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:21 am

hermodo wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:28 am
I used to live in Gissy ...
Thanks -- it does look very exposed but I'll keep an eye on the weather. Might end up just spectating if it's looking iffy... or just bring a surfboard if the swell is up. Thanks for the info.

• Information