Two questions

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Smeg
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU2462

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:51 pm

What is the preference:

Securing your paddle to the Yak or yourself - ie. the lifejacket and why?

What is the common practice - tying a flourocarbon leader to braid (via a FG knot or similar) and then swivel and interchangeable rigs - or just tying a swivel attachment to the braid and adding rigs ?
PB# 57cm Snapper
PB# 54cm Trevally
PB# 59cm Kahawai
PB# 51cm John Dory

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler

samtayl
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3 Orange/Yello

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:38 pm

Yeah, braid to fluoro with fg or other recommended knot (I do use fg). Then tie fluoro strait to jig head, no swivel. Some guys do use genie clips for easy change of jig heads, but I like to tie straight to jig head with a loop knot.

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:57 pm

Paddle leashed to yak. ( in rough conditions or pre dawn or late evening solo trips , I have a safety line from me to the yak as well)

FG flouro to braid then swivel,clip , or jighead . Depends on the rig and what I am doing

Glass is Class.. dedant

AndrewRawlingson

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:26 pm

I always had the paddle leashed to the yak, not me. Logic was that if I fell out, I would hold on to the the paddle and it would be less of an entanglement risk than a line from me to the yak. I fell out once (or rather, I was knocked over) and the system worked.

FG knot is the gold standard. I don't think there is anything better, but I can't tie it :D The Alberto knot is far easier and I'm happy with it's strength and size.

Quick clips for jigs, leader straight to sofites.

UrbanAngler
Kayak Make: VIking
Kayak Model: ProFish 440

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:07 pm

1. paddle leashed to kayak

2. FG braid to flouro, then swivel clip. on the other side of the swivel clip will be leader with loop knot to easily attached to the swivel clip and what have you at the other side.

Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:28 am

Paddle leashed to the kayak for me. I unleash the paddle when I launch to minimize getting tangled if I fall out.

PR knot to tie braid to leader. It takes time to master the technique. I find it also slides very nicely in the guides if you weave the ends of the knot with dental floss.

Genie clip tied on with a uni knot at the of the leader. I haven't had a failure with a genie clip yet.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

• Information