roof rack selection

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
andrewhenare
Kayak Make: ocean
Kayak Model: torque

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:20 am

HI. Have purchased the "rhino"roof rack system . Now looking at the cradle clamps or the fold down brackets that place your kayak on its edge.
I know the vertical bars give you more room , for another toy, but they kayak doesn't look to secure. Also do you have to use the front and back straps.
Any thoughts, or stories about loose tying down.
Thanks Andrew :beer:

DoubleD
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish GT

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:24 am

I get my two yaks on top both at 45° using jbars. I only use front/back tie downs on longer road trips. That being said, I wished I’d opted straight for a kayak trailer! That’s next on the list, way easier and doesn’t ruin the paintwork of the car with salt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:15 am

I always tie front and back, stops the seesaw effect that buckles the entire roof of my lightweight Japanese people mover. ( I added my own tracks to the roof to give more distance to the cross bars than when using the standard clamp on position)

Glass is Class.. dedant

Snow Goose
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW3599

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:32 am

DoubleD wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:24 am
I get my two yaks on top both at 45° using jbars. I only use front/back tie downs on longer road trips. That being said, I wished I’d opted straight for a kayak trailer! That’s next on the list, way easier and doesn’t ruin the paintwork of the car with salt!
I have to say, I have gone through a similar process after being offered a good deal on a branded roof rack system for my SUV. Unfortunately, I soon realised that carrying a large fishing kayak on the roof is a bit inconvenient (the effort of loading/unloading, the loss of access to the car's rear hatch, the risk to the paint job, etc.). Also, if you look at the combined cost of a good rack, the cradles/Jbars and loading assists, you end up with a total expenditure that isn't too far from a small trailer. So, during the winter, I adapted my trailer to carrying my kayak. It looks good, is much easier to load, and, at the end of the day, I can just back it up, unhitch and drive away. Love it! :y:
Snow Goose
Viking Profish Reload
ZMW3599

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:29 pm

I've got an ultra 4.1 prowler , Good little yak , & I went 4.1, mostly so it would handle better OFF the water. Even so I have evolved away from chucking it up on my van roof, and unless I travel long hauls ( Napier/ Auckland.) I don't use a roof rack. When I do I always secure the yak front & back , independent from the rack, that way you aren't relying on only one system, Just stacks the odds one click your way if something comes loose.
For the most part I use my light garden trailer which I have made simple timber racks for . Less lifting , and keeps the salt off the van. I was surprised at how quickly the vehicle deteriorated when I started racking a kayak!

• Information