Returning to the kayak, where & what to catch in Wellington?

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Mr Plow

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:07 am

Hey all,

I'm returning to Kayak fishing after a couple of years off. I used to frequent Evans Bay and Eastbourne in Wellington Harbour where I'd catch a lot of Kahawai and I'll probably head out in Evans Bay but where else can / should I go for a good fish?

I used to only like catching fish with a lure (I like to be on the move all the time) but I'm keen to mix things up and try something different so looking for ideas on what to use and where.

So has anyone in Wellington been out recently? Or can anyone give me some locations to try. Thanks :)

I've checked out Pete Lambs reports and they've good but not very specific for someone who doesn't know the local spots. I've also trawled through the Wellington Regional forum but it's pretty quiet in there :(

baitless
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: ProFisha 525
VHF Call Sign: n/a

Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:53 am

Hi mate,

1. Breaker Bay has been infested with Kahawai lately. Best time to hit it is just after low tide on the incoming. There is normally a few birds hitting the bait the KY are chasing so they aren't too hard to find.
2. The the cray pots at the southern end of Barret's reef are worth a look around for Blue Cod.
3. Same again over at Moa Point.

When the weather and tides are right, Makara is worth a look also. A good place to start is the 40-50m drop-off and cray pots.

Cheers,

JT

Map
PastedGraphic-2-1.png
Chasing KY in the evening at Breaker Bay
Eve2.jpg

Mr Plow

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:14 am

Wow thanks! Will definitely check this out :y:

Mr Plow

Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:23 am

Where would be a good place to try for Gournard?

xtreamz
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:53 pm

As Justine said above, those are all promising spots.

Regards to Gurnard, Evans bay is holding them as usual and would be the number 1 spot for the harbour I would say, or if the weather is right then around Lyall bay should have some good ones as well.

If you are in the Facebook world, join 'Fishing Wellington', and 'Wellington Kayak Fishing Community' and you may find some info from other peoples reports useful as to what is being caught where.

Cheers and may see you out on the water sometime.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PB Snapper: 17.6lb/76cm (14/05/2017) | PB Blue Cod 49cm (17/06/2017)| PB Kingfish 82cm (30/12/2017)| PB Tarakihi 53cm (04/09/2017)| PB Moki 54cm (17/06/2017)

Trident 4.3
Prowler 4.5 (2011-2015)

Mr Plow

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:04 pm

Awesome, thanks for all the info :y:

Smeg
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU2462

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:27 pm

Straight off the beach at Makara is my fav - always a Teri or two hanging around - check out sunken rock also. I'll be looking forward to getting out there once I get this work load off my shoulders! Snaps are coming back too!! Yehaaa!
PB# 57cm Snapper
PB# 54cm Trevally
PB# 59cm Kahawai
PB# 51cm John Dory

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler

Achilles
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMX2317

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:33 pm

Love your enthusiasm Smeg, between work and weather its been a struggle to get out for a few months....I'm itching!!! Amen to Yeeha!!!!
Achilles

ZMX 2317

Viking Reload

Mr Plow

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:27 am

Smeg wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:27 pm
Straight off the beach at Makara is my fav - always a Teri or two hanging around - check out sunken rock also. I'll be looking forward to getting out there once I get this work load off my shoulders! Snaps are coming back too!! Yehaaa!
When you say straight out how far are you talking? Like in that bay or out in the deeper (40-50m) water?

Mr Plow

Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:17 pm

Hey all,

Tomorrow is looking good for a paddle! Not sure where I should try though, South Coast, Evans or Makara. I'm kinda keen to try the South Coast with the weather looking so calm, I don't mind heading to Evans when it's not so great but the South Coast terrifies me when the wind picks up.

I hit up Evans Bay shortly after my first post in this topic. I got a couple of nice KY but no Gurnard.
I took two rods out, one with a lure on that I was pulling whenever moving about, and one with a flasher rig for when I would stop to fish. I had something take my bait ONCE but no bites after that. KY were caught on the lure.

I have a couple of popper lures that I thought I might bring with me if I head out tomorrow but not sure if they're even worth trying in these spots. I catch KY fine on those steel hex lures so not sure what would take the popper ???

Which brings me to my next question: Clips? I'd be keen to paddle with two lures in the water (maybe the hex and the popper) and then be able to switch to the flasher rigs for a break. Are clips the way to go for this? I've never really used clips before ...

xtreamz
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:34 am

Well saw your last message a little late....how did you go in the weekend? I don't troll lures much, but I use a type of clip which doesn't actually clip (not sure what they are called, Kind of imagine an upside down R when the centre doesn't quite join to itself)) on my rod when dropping jigs etc. I'm sure normal clips are just as fine though.

Poppers would likely key kahawai around there, If you were really lucky a king but I haven't heard of may close in shore on the south coast.

I was out west (pukerua) Sat, along with half on Wellington. Managed 1 snapper and about 20 gurnards which I kept a dozen - Not sure if you're on the kayak facebook pages but you likely saw my report there if so.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PB Snapper: 17.6lb/76cm (14/05/2017) | PB Blue Cod 49cm (17/06/2017)| PB Kingfish 82cm (30/12/2017)| PB Tarakihi 53cm (04/09/2017)| PB Moki 54cm (17/06/2017)

Trident 4.3
Prowler 4.5 (2011-2015)

Blazer60
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:14 pm

Genie clip most likely.
Blazer60
In between ships ZMW5911
Any Stealths for sale?

Mr Plow

Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:17 am

Wasn't feeling so great on Saturday so I decided to just float about in the Harbor instead of going on a mission. I spent a lot of time trying to catch gurnard between Shelly Bay and Halswell Point, trying different baits and all sorts. Even sat in the burly trail of some boat parked up at Halswell ... nothing.

Then as I got back to Shelly Bay I saw a wave (literally looked like a wave!) of kahawai coming at me so I just started hunting them. Landed four including one really big one that took quite a while. Worth it!

I'm contemplating ditching the bait fishing gear, I just don't have the patience for it to be honest. I like kayaking more thank I like fishing so I'm thinking of only carrying lures with me on my next trip (hopefully Makara). I like going on long paddles and enjoying the scenery :)

Also I love eating Kahawai! :y:

EDIT: Didin't bother with the poppers in the end, my small hex lure always seems to catch kahawai and I don't really have to right weight line to be targeting Kingfish.
Fish1.jpg
Fish2.jpg

• Information