There you go :y:
Attachments
IMG_1171.PNG

Glass is Class.. dedant

mitchfam
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Tempo

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:13 am

I have seen heaps in close off Beachlands.
Been circled by 3 x 2 metre hammerheads about 8 years ago by the pine harbour marker near Flat island, I just sat there watching them swim off.
Didn't move a muscle until a boat came over 20 minutes later to warn me of a school of Hammerheads about 200 yards away.
Every year from now until Feb/March, I see lots of bronzies. Mainly a fin from 20-50 yards away and they tend to 'hang out' off Te Puru.
I don't worry about them too much..

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:32 am

I've lost track of most of the shark encounters I've had, purely a function of 10's of thousands of hours on kayaks on the water. For the most part they're predictable and well behaved, just don't drag a fighting fish in front of their nose or hold a fish thrashing for too long at the side of the kayak.

I also avoid gutting fish or berleying in certain locations. That said, I bleed any kingfish, tuna, trevally, or kahawai I intend to keep. I've very occasionally been checked out while doing this, but with a plastic rudder blade (no metallic components in the water), no scraps/berley to give substance to the smell, and with no thrashing action in the water to send out inviting alarm signals, I've had no problem. The biggest thing is not to panic, and if a large fish is being problematic quietly pack up and move to another location.

Here's a little chuckle from last summer caught on the GoPro:

Image one: innocently sorting tackle when there's a massive splash...

Image two: second jump - whooeee, that's a biggie! :lol:
Attachments
Shark marked 1 cropped.jpg
Shark marked 1 cropped.jpg (111.96 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
Shark marked 2 cropped.jpg
Shark marked 2 cropped.jpg (105.67 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:40 am

Had plenty of encounters with sharks but never really felt like I was in danger, I've also hooked a few and simply played them till I got to the leader or they bust me off...

Up at Matai Bay I had a Mako stalk me for a while and even cruise past under the kayak and slowly roll on to it's side as it glided past to give me the eye...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:12 pm

Limitless wrote:I've lost track of most of the shark encounters I've had, purely a function of 10's of thousands of hours on kayaks on the water. For the most part they're predictable and well behaved, just don't drag a fighting fish in front of their nose or hold a fish thrashing for too long at the side of the kayak.

I also avoid gutting fish or berleying in certain locations. That said, I bleed any kingfish, tuna, trevally, or kahawai I intend to keep. I've very occasionally been checked out while doing this, but with a plastic rudder blade (no metallic components in the water), no scraps/berley to give substance to the smell, and with no thrashing action in the water to send out inviting alarm signals, I've had no problem. The biggest thing is not to panic, and if a large fish is being problematic quietly pack up and move to another location.

Here's a little chuckle from last summer caught on the GoPro:

Image one: innocently sorting tackle when there's a massive splash...

Image two: second jump - whooeee, that's a biggie! :lol:
Spirits Bay ? place is chokka with them :lol:

G man
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Tandem Island

Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:38 am

So I have to ask, do any of you guys in NZ use a Shark Shield. In Australia they have become increasingly popular, particularly when there are a few White encounters. I have a Shark shield that I used a lot diving but not really bothered in the kayak as I have a big 5.6 m Hobie Tandem Island. It is big, bright yellow, outriggers and sail so I can sail off silently. But then one day I had a big big shadow following me when I was by myself and well offshore, 5 nautical miles out, the wind had dropped to nothing and it was along slow uncomfortable pedal home.

Limitless

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:07 am

G man wrote:So I have to ask, do any of you guys in NZ use a Shark Shield...
I've looked at them, and understand the concept, especially where mackerel sharks (Lamniformes) are involved. Shark behaviour in NZ seems considerable less aggressive than I've seen in Australia so to date personally haven't bothered. If I fished areas with extensive cage diving or berleying of sharks for tourists I'd be considering it, but as it stands I already carry so much kit I haven't been inclined to add to it :$
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:26 am

It seems from the overseas videos that a lot of aggressive behaviour happens around Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks. You know, the ones that "paddle" like a penguin swims. :^)
Sharks eat penguins ...hmmmm

Glass is Class.. dedant

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:19 pm

AntN wrote:It seems from the overseas videos that a lot of aggressive behaviour happens around Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks. You know, the ones that "paddle" like a penguin swims. :^)
Not true... seems to be plenty of both type that have ad there moments

Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

Cowboy
Kayak Make: Cobra Marauder
Kayak Model: Viking 440
VHF Call Sign: Cowboy

Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:08 pm

Have to agree with some of the posts on here about boats being more dangerous than sharks.
I have caught countless sharks of many species and the only one that has scared me was a Mako.
99% of the sharks just want to get away but the Mako swam towards me and gave me a good eyeball.
I used to try and get the hook out of the sharks but had a bad experience with a 1.5 m grey jumping into my lap so I just cut the trace now.
I fish mainly around Taranaki and use burley tied to my anchor with nylon, if a shark wants it and is big enough the line will break no one harmed and the shark gets a free feed.

G man
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Tandem Island

Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:50 pm

MadMike wrote:
AntN wrote:It seems from the overseas videos that a lot of aggressive behaviour happens around Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks. You know, the ones that "paddle" like a penguin swims. :^)

Watching that video, that is the time when you need something with more of a sharp point than a paddle. I don't use a gaff, but instead have a 'cage' which is just a single point spear no barb for landing fish. That would come in handy for a quick warning prod.

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Instead of teasing it maybe that guy would have been better to just quietly paddle away. Or do nothing and wait for it to lose interest?

Glass is Class.. dedant

Limitless

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:51 am

AntN wrote:Instead of teasing it maybe that guy would have been better to just quietly paddle away. Or do nothing and wait for it to lose interest?
I agree - every time he stabbed at it the paddle created a splash, just like a fish that's avoided a strike.

Epicskwid
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:51 am

not much you can do in some situations. but a calm approach would probably do wonders. I've only encountered 1 large shark while fishing ( a 2m Bronze that cleared the water on the line which then broke)
If you work out how the shark is behaving you should be fine if your not doing anything to provoke or attract its attention more
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Kayak PB's
15.10kg Kingfish - Tangoio Beach
10.20kg Snapper - Tangoio Beach
3.20kg Kahawai - Napier Port
2.20kg Blue Cod- Tata Beach Golden Bay
2.15kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
2.10kg John Dory Taranaki Port
1.30kg Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia
1.21kg Gurnard - Tangoio Beach
20kg Thresher Shark - Urenui Beach

B0ydie
Kayak Make: stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 460
VHF Call Sign: ZMW7673

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:20 pm

MadMike wrote:

It looks like the shark is tracking something when the guy paddling wouldn't surprise me if he had some fish leaching into the water with the way the shark was going from side to side

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Profish 400

technical
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6484

Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:00 pm

WaikatoYakka wrote: I've seen plenty!
Probably because I'm constantly on the lookout for them.
What about that one off Raglan... :o
Warning: Contents may contain traces of nuts.

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:43 pm

technical wrote:
WaikatoYakka wrote: I've seen plenty!
Probably because I'm constantly on the lookout for them.
What about that one off Raglan... :o

I know that HLD had a BIG Great white encounter too.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

Smeg
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMU2462

Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:48 pm

I know that HLD had a BIG Great white encounter too.

Do tell! Love this rubber necking forum!
PB# 57cm Snapper
PB# 54cm Trevally
PB# 59cm Kahawai
PB# 51cm John Dory

Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler

Matrix
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: 4.3 Trident

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:25 pm

Havent seen one yet , i don't use bait

sharkey
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish,espri,prowler
VHF Call Sign: sharkey

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:37 pm

Hmmm.....you guys talking about my finned buddies, my fav subject :D ... firstly there's been some real good advice given on this blog? by those that really know...., being a 50% stinkbait/softbait fisher....over the past decades, I say I'd be up there with the most shark hook-ups from a yak fisher.... so buddy relax!! :tmi: :^) , the landsharks are your worry.....not the ones in the sea, softbaiting is clean, if using stinkbait keep it in a container, reduce leakage, if your worried about bleeding fish like tuna, kahawai etc, iki ,bleed and move on , or put them in a cheap rubbish bag and bleed them.....no blood released. The big advise for you is don't worry, there are so much coastal baitfish around NZ waters, why would a shark want to eat a piece of plastic hundreds of times the size of baitfish??.. From my own encounters, my advise is if you hook a shark play nice, and in turn the shark will chill and you'll meet up and release lt...however play aggressive and you'll most likely meet aggression....cut the line!!...shark jumping...cut the line, most sharks are mostly in chill mode unless provoked....except the super smart and unpredictable Mako, any hook up with a mako...cut your line no matter what, if a mako comes close to you don't provoke the beast, let him cruise by...or move on. Again from my encounters, between Jan to April I fish more reefy spots around ocean headlands than over long sandy beaches, I find the local bronzies are too amped up and tend to school.....their metabolism is racing due to warm summer water, hence their feeding patterns become more urgent and aggressive... < ^ ^..<

• Information