Tandem fishing kayak recommendations

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Stevogonefishin
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Scupper Pro TW

Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:00 pm

After a great summer kayak fishing from my trusty single SOT, I am looking at getting a tandem/double kayak for next summer.
Ideally I am looking for a 2+1 type SOT which can take 2 adults + a small child.

The Malibu xl 2+1 seems to be an option, some models seem to have a centre hatch, not sure whether this would hold the weight of a child thou, does anyone have any other recommendations?

Beast
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Cabo

Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:02 pm

Ocean kayak cabo, there's one on Trademe for $950. It's what I use, there are 3 seats, should be plenty of load capacity (250kg) and I've fitted some extra rudder pedals fit me to paddle from the centre seat by myself. http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/kayaks- ... 146193.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If you do a search on the forum, you should be able to find it on here. Whatever one you choose you are likely to need to be a bit creative with your storage/rigging options for fishing as they typically don't have dedicated space like the reload/prowler etc.

Cheers,
Beast

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
Ocean Kayak Cabo

Stevogonefishin

Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, looks like a good option. Not sure there are any options that aren't a real compromise on storage space, etc.

Beast

Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:15 am

Also need to consider how wide some of the doubles are, my mate has a q-kayak delta which is way wider than it needs to be. Hard to paddle and very slow. Much more stability than necessary.

Ocean Kayak Cabo

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:28 pm

We have viking 2+1. A bit of a barge with one person and a plough with two.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Andy2014
Kayak Make: Ocean

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Hey mate, I got a Cabo a couple years ago. Most yakkers will tell you to get two singles but the reality is that I can get out more often and go further for longer because by wife is more comfortable in a double. Also you can paddle it solo if you want so it's a good option.

Cabo is quite a bit longer and narrower than a Malibu XL or Viking 2+1, and faster but a bit less stable. You can put a child in the middle seat. I use it solo occasionally but haven't set up the pedals or f/f for solo use as yet. The only dedicated tandem fishing yak with storage etc that I've seen is the stealth Evo duo, nice yak but no middle seat and its fibreglass. Not many duo's in nz. Would love to see viking or ok make a tandem fishing yak with central storage etc. Photo is from queens birthday at papa aroha, nothing big but nice pannies.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1465808865.774619.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1465808865.774619.jpg (417.74 KiB) Viewed 3310 times

Stevogonefishin

Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback and nice set up.
How do you find the speed on the water with 2 people?

I intend to keep my fully kitted out single for real fishing, but am keen to try to turn kayaking into a bit of family fun as well.
Thinking about trying to go out for some family fishing excursions when the weather is right. 2 adults and a 4 yr old.

Stealth looks great, but the middle seat is key at this stage.

Andy2014

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:08 pm

We cruise around 7-8km/h about the same as the guys in singles I fish with. Have peaked at 10 km/h over short distances. If you have the storage space etc I would keep the single and get the Malibu or V 2+1 as these will be more stable 3 up. But if you definitely only want one then the Cabo will be a better all rounder.

maccayakka
VHF Call Sign: MaccaYakka

Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:00 am

Viking are now doing a tempo 2...

http://www.vikingkayaks.co.nz/shop/kaya ... +2+tempo+2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which you can also get small tackle pods for
Profish 400

Cobra Snapper - retired to my son

Andy2014

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:54 pm

These look cool, how long have they been in the market?

Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:37 pm

I own a viking 2+1 and it is great, not the fastest as a single or a double but still goes well enough for me.
Plus it is light enough to easily chuck it on the roof racks :y:.
The Cabo is definitely the best for paddling as a double, but is not made to paddle as a single.

maccayakka

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:04 pm

Andy2014 wrote:These look cool, how long have they been in the market?
Not sure since they took over the Australian viking.. but don't quote me on that
Profish 400

Beast

Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:40 am

Douugie wrote:I own a viking 2+1 and it is great, not the fastest as a single or a double but still goes well enough for me.
The Cabo is definitely the best for paddling as a double, but is not made to paddle as a single.
Agreed the cabo is a heavy beast (35kg) but it's great as a single, you ride pretty much dry out of the water. Especially good if you're taller there's no limitation on leg room.

Ocean Kayak Cabo

Beast

Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:42 am

That new double from Viking looks the business for fishing, not sure that it can be configured as a single though?

Ocean Kayak Cabo

Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:31 pm

Beast wrote:
Douugie wrote:I own a viking 2+1 and it is great, not the fastest as a single or a double but still goes well enough for me.
Agreed the cabo is a heavy beast (35kg) but it's great as a single, you ride pretty much dry out of the water. Especially good if you're taller there's no limitation on leg room.

I'd like one of each just quietly, but will start to run out of garage space soon especially once I buy another SIK :lol:

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:48 pm

The Viking 2+1 is the driest Kayak I have paddled when used as a single, very stable...

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:12 pm

I've got a Malibu 2 I'll happily let go for $850

Also coming out from Phoenix Kayaks in the next couple of weeks is this double named the Fortress
PK-Fortress_SML.png
PK-Fortress_SML.png (270.64 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
Otherwise look at the Viking, Cobra, and Mission doubles - just stay away from those imports :lol:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

maccayakka

Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi Mental, what is the cost of the fortress going to be, and is there going to be an angler version?
Profish 400

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:52 pm

maccayakka wrote:Hi Mental, what is the cost of the fortress going to be, and is there going to be an angler version?
That could be the Angler version...
Significant other sits in the rear, rerigging, passing you rods, controlling the GoPros, paddling to maintain station over that big arch on the bottom, filleting fish as they come in, handing you sandwiches etc etc :lol:

Well, Mrs. Dwarf is home soon from work - better finish the laundry and make a start on dinner :$
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:54 pm

maccayakka wrote:Hi Mental, what is the cost of the fortress going to be, and is there going to be an angler version?
$899 for the Fortress including two paddles and two seats (as shown)

There may be an angler version, we just need to work on the locations of rod holders etc, there are a couple of recesses for Railblaza Starports, and there is a spot in the center so you can fit an 8 inch hatch for access to the inside for storage etc - so I suppose I could say "watch this space" :lol:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

• Information