Advice on PFD's

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Polwarth

Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:53 am

Good morning all, I am new to this kayaking business and while I wait for the kayak to arrive I am getting some gear together.

What are you guys wearing in the way of PFD's? I was thinking of a inflatable, but watching some videos last night on this forum I see everyone has a "Jacket" type on.

I like the idea of pockets on the front for stuff and I expect that is going to be important for keeping organised. But the ease of movement would be great with a inflatable.

Cheers in advance.

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:58 am

Inflatables (once inflated) are likely to make it difficult to get back into the yak in a capsize.

Pockets are good for VHF, EPIRB etc

Rings are good to attach fishing pliers or similar
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:20 pm

Nope don't do inflatable. I wear one on good days in the Predator XL but certainly wouldn't recommend them for a normal kayak. As said above, once inflated they have to be deflated to re enter the kayak (which is a mission in itself) the chances then you are left without a PFD if anything else happens... Not a good look

I have a few deals going at the moment but it will depend on your sizing as to if there appropriate as it's limited stock.

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... 17&t=20963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:40 pm

I would so do your research mate, I have bought a "popular" PFD before based on quite a few recommendations from other yakkers, and turned out to be very average indeed and I would not go down that path again, get yourself a budget in mind and get the best deal you can with that...
Cant comment on the ones Mike have a deal on at the moment, never used one...
Look at the sewing/seams on them, water bladder or not, if using a highback seat in the yak a low back PFD could annoy you, I do have a PFD that can accommodate a bladder but doesnt bother me, other find it annoying.
Tether and attachment points, both inside and outside pockets,are these breakaway designed ? do they have velco or zips for pockets,some have pockets for a VHF, shoulder and side adjustments and how many they have, can the straps be tucked away or have built in sleeves to side the excess away,neroprene waist to stop it riding up? and the list goes on...
But like already has been said, inflatable nah :n: GL in your hunt :y:

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:07 pm

And don't be lured into huge pockets - Once crammed with all the stuff you 'thought' you needed, it can make getting back on board awkward.
There's a lot of flavours out there these days and what looks sharp and feels good in the shop can end up giving you armpits of fire.

Head to a yak dealer, and they will advise based on your application and body type.

Entry level, I'd be budgeting $150-$200 for a decent (as in quality and fit for purpose) bit of kit.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:54 pm

I'd recommend the below pfd, had mine for years now and still in good nick. :y:

http://www.hutchwilco.co.nz/page/54214/ ... oupid=5323" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/KZLJ ... -life-vest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MadMike

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:17 am

^^ Thick high backed, seat will interfere ?
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

MikeAqua

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:54 am

Good advice that. I try and make sure anything attached to my PFD is buoyant and essential.

Currently VHF, PLB and strobe light all float.

Cell phone, asthma inhaler and knife don't, but I want them on me.

[edit: asthma inhalers do float (tested at weekend)]
Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:And don't be lured into huge pockets - Once crammed with all the stuff you 'thought' you needed, it can make getting back on board awkward.
Last edited by MikeAqua on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

owaldock
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:44 am

Having shopped around and bought a kayak specific jacket I noticed that the all the jackets I looked at were at the lower end of the buoyancy scale (a minimum of 50 newtons) whereas the minimum for inshore jackets is 72 and inflatables are at 150.

Being pretty keen on coming in back in one piece while out in some pretty isolated spots I wonder if there are any kayak specific options with greater levels of buoyancy or if 50 newtons is sufficient for our sport??? Cant remeber the brand I settled on but with the lack of options around level of buoyancy my decision was made on ability to store my marine VHF, cell phone, comfort etc

http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/recreatio ... nd-PFD.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hairy Little Dwarf

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:21 am

I use the Hydraulics Leader which has 60N.

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

MadMike

Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:47 pm

White water Jackets are 70n... there also reasonably bulky. higher buoyancy equates to more bulk regardless, Inflatables get away with for obvious reasons. A good White water jacket is 400+

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:04 pm

I have the NRS Chinook. I really can't compare it to other PFD's because the previous ones I use to wear were bought from garage sales.

Lots of pockets for storage and convenient latches to hook your VHF, braid scissors etc. Also comes in a cool dark green colour.

My only gripe is the strapping above the shoulders is starting to fray at the edges - perhaps it's just normal wear and tear. But other than that it's choice!
Attachments
NRS-PFD-web.jpg
NRS-PFD-web.jpg (71.04 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:37 pm

Ran a Chinook for about a year before the UV started to have its wicked way with the nylon.
Then again I do spend a lot more time on the water than your average bear.

Andy2014
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Cabo

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:51 am

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Ran a Chinook for about a year before the UV started to have its wicked way with the nylon.
Then again I do spend a lot more time on the water than your average bear.
What year was the jacket HLD? The nylon on the chinooks was known to fade badly but has supposedly improved a lot in the past couple years.

I got a NRS Cvest 18 months ago largely due to the advice on this forum and love it only difference to the chinook is the pocket configuration. Cvest has a purpose built pocket for vhf which is handy. Chinook has bigger pockets.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:55 am

The NRS I had frayed very badly around the inside of the pockets and like HLD fading is awful, mine went from bright orange to nothing in a year...
Limitless did say they have improved that, but haven't seen an update as to how its going ?

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:22 am

Used NRS Chinook and Osprey, both would have been around 2009 vintage, both faded really rapidly but the Chinook also started to breakdown.
The Osprey pockets quickly became unusable due to the material fraying and jamming the zips, even with regular trimming and sealing of edges.
Good low use/beginner PFDs though.

Paid the extra and got a Cordura jacket which hasn't missed a beat in over 3x the use of the others, bit of wear to the piping where it rubs against the seat but that's it.

Cordura every time for me now.

MikeAqua

Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:20 pm

I have a Chinook. It's great but my only criticism is that I would prefer if it had just one VHF sized pocket.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

Badger
Kayak Model: Reload and GT

Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:43 pm

I've got an Osprey and wouldn't recommend it at all. Fraying badly around the pockets which have started to catch and there are no straps around the waist to prevent it from riding up when in the drink.

Got me started but in hindsight wish I'd spent more money and gone for something better fitting.

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:13 pm

Got a YAK Xipe a couple if years ago after my NRS jacket started to fall apart .

The Xipe is still going strong with no signs of failure !

Polwarth

Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. Will head into town to try some on so the next question is whats around in Christchurch for shopping options?

• Information