Hi
What s the general consensus
Does having a fish finder actually increase your chance of catching fish

Memnoch
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.3 ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5492

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:02 pm

Yeah I think it does with my limited experience. It helps show where structure is. Eg on Tuesday I went over a large rock on bottom as I was paddling back to restart drift. I dropped the soft bait straight on it just because it was structure. Didn't see any fish marks but pulled up a 40cm snapper.
Ocean kayak 4.3
ZMU5492

Winch
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Dorado 2
VHF Call Sign: help

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:04 pm

yes

The only person that will say no is paddlesnap :lol:
Last edited by Winch on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yaktofish
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9666

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:17 pm

Without a doubt it increases your chances of success. I wouldn't fish with out one.
Viking Reload
Ocean Ultra 4.3

Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:17 pm

I got one off trade me for 16 bucks, good for depth and structure. My catch has increased but whether it because of my FF or the fact I follow Downtown around?? Who knows :lol:

datawiz
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:33 pm

Ruff as Gutts wrote:I got one off trade me for 16 bucks, good for depth and structure. My catch has increased but whether it because of my FF or the fact I follow Downtown around?? Who knows :lol:

What sort did you get for 16bucks? I am interested in looking at a cheap one until I can afford something more substantial.

Does the handheld one about $80 work?
Tight lines and not snags

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:10 pm

Yes, if you have no idea about reading the ocean then there invaluable, even if you do know how to read it they are invaluable
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

Ruff as Gutts

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:11 pm

It was a humming bird 100 wide head unit, id save and get something fitted for around 200. Tangles with your line and transducer cable with handhelds

datawiz
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:18 pm

Ruff as Gutts wrote:It was a humming bird 100 wide head unit, id save and get something fitted for around 200. Tangles with your line and transducer cable with handhelds
:y: cheers for that Ruff. I see a cheap lowrance X4 on Trademe at the moment. I am :sweat: scared to drill holes in the yak so what is everyones thoughts on mounting the transducer on the inside of the yak? :?:

I will go looking for the appropriate forum too as I am sure this will be covered somewhere within this wonderful site ;)
Tight lines and not snags

Ruff as Gutts

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Heaps of info on here about mounting FF, I copied HD and did mine externally. But my yak leaks anyway lols

rolly
Kayak Make: stealth supalite
Kayak Model: 2010

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:54 am

Bait fishing with burly and some knowledge of bottom structure, channels, sandbanks etc....
You can get away without a FF.
Softbait fishing without a FF doesn't make sense to me.. just guessing where there could be a fish..
Nothing like spotting good feature or fish on screen chucking plastic at it and hooking up! That's fishing.

Snap 4T

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:11 am

Hav 1 installed but never bother to use it.
Most of the time, I read the water surface, location, next to channel, etc. Then chuck my anchor down.
PJ post (how to fish without ff) from a while back also help a lot.

grant ashwell
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Revolution

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:59 am

I spend more of my on water time looking at the sounder than anything else. It locates the bait schools and associated fish as well as bottom type and structure. The water temp feature also helps as even .5 of a degree makes a difference. Having used a sounder for quite a few years it becomes easy enough to identify the type of fish even at 40 metres. They have different on screen pictures and I often change my tactics according to what I see. For example, Marlin are the easiest as they make a big slash like Z or a heavy straight up and down line. Wahoo are like a thick cigar, Mackeral a row of dots and Snapper wavy lines near the bottom. I do not hesitate to spend good cash on the best I can afford. In saying this though, I am not sure how useful a cheap sounder would be other than to pick out structure. This year, my first at Snapper fishing, I was able to identify large target fish at depth on my Gen 2 Lowrance.
Having the sounder is one thing but learning to use it takes time. I suggest scouring the fishing forums and looking for sounder shot photos then interpreting them alongside the article. Get a decent book on sounder use and try and remember the picture when you drop and hook up so that you build up your own reference "library". Successful sounder use demands commitment, it must be positioned close enough to see small detail and it requires the added inconvenience of wiring, battery plus regular maintenance of connections.

Hope this rant from a very pro sunder man helps

Grant

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:33 am

Winch wrote:yes

You got it 8)
With my extensive and successful experience I can say quite unequivocably that they are are waste of time in shallow fishing and actually scare the fish away and make em wary :^) in heavily fished waters -true story.

Dopes underestimate the ability of fish's senses and those electronic things are like warning sonar they feel like a submarine going past, get in the water and try snooping up on a decent ol Snapper moocher they even sense your metabolism and know when ya gunna have a go .
The structure thing works against ya as much also as it's what the fish seek refuge in and bust off , not really a consideration , Schools moving through or hanging about I can see through using experience also so negatives of cost and things to cart round and go wrong out weighed by doing better without them :y:
Check out my Tr's and you will see
Ok for gear freaks carting extra stuff around for dough for show and no go :D
I've seen on numerous times guys on Sit ons with all the Bells and whistles concentrating so much on their sounders that they don't even see their surroundings -Me inshore of them in plain view catching heaps of good fish --

Biggest plus for not using one is it's more of a challenge and SPORTING :rock:
Last edited by paddlesnap on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

kea999
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.5- 4.3 -465 - 480

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:47 am

defiantly not essential but definatly very useful no fish finder going to tell you what's 20 metres away if your casting into wash caught many fish when using ff that would have just paddled over .If the inshore fishery wasn't depleted you wouldnt need to use a ff .

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:56 am

|( oh dear PS. over fished areas generally fish crap for that very reason. over fished.
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

Nakian
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 6728

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:02 am

Honestly Winch, are you Irish? :lol:

I'd say if you can afford it, go for it. It will help till the local knowledge becomes abundant.
On the other hand, like PS intimates, you should strive to be one with the enviroment and keep an eye on whats happening.... :?:

For the seardh and pounce method, checking the chart is good info before going out (if no FF/plotter on board) for lumps and holes the quarry could use as shown by some of the comments.
Or advertise with berley and wait.... :beer:

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:51 am

I use a FF/GPS and in winter tend to lurk in the shallows, use it more for structure than locating fish, as I am casting outside the cone, mark structure and come round and have few casts, more often than not will pull something out, they do work and for SBing an area you can fish a grid area at a time, an awesome reference tool for previous areas that have fished well, using a tree on the hill and a rock on another point you could be several hundred meters out :y: GPS puts you on the spot...

dyls
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish440

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:59 am

awondering wrote:I use a FF/GPS and in winter tend to lurk in the shallows, use it more for structure than locating fish, as I am casting outside the cone, mark structure and come round and have few casts, more often than not will pull something out, they do work and for SBing an area you can fish a grid area at a time, an awesome reference tool for previous areas that have fished well, using a tree on the hill and a rock on another point you could be several hundred meters out :y: GPS puts you on the spot...
yeah dead right, ive been experimenting with that the last couple of trips, switching from my tracking screen to my sounder, and seeing how close I could get back to the spot using landmarks, and I was surprised how far out I actually was, having fished with just a sounder for years I (mistakenly) thought I was pretty accurate with landmarks
Viking reload
Viking profish 440(retired)

Winch
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Dorado 2
VHF Call Sign: help

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Nakian wrote:
Honestly Winch, are you Irish? :lol:

Yes 30% :)