Cooks Beach and surrounding areas fishing info please folks

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: GT I think...

Hey people,

I'm heading to Cooks beach in January. After a bit of info if anyone can help?

Would I be best launching off the main beach and head out looking for sign on the FF or hang a left towards Shakespeare Cliff / Lonely Bay or right for a few kms? From the maps those look like my options.

Thanks and have a good one this Chrissy.

Kiwiladbrad

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400
Winch
Kayak Make: Kaskazi
Kayak Model: Dorado 2
VHF Call Sign: help

Stray line off the points when the tide is running and kingfish at change of low. move out over the sand on the turn of the high, a high turn and in the evening is best over the sand off cooks beach. or even head over to the top of the reserve there is a large flat rock that holds snapper that come out of the reserve.
you can also head out and look for the Mackie schools, catch one and stay with the school for a king, first thing in the morning is best
Blazer60
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

I'm making my annual pilgrimage there in Jan as well. Launching off the beach nearer the estuary. Done a fair bit of stink boating there over time but this is my first year in plastic. Might catch up with you klb.
Blazer60
Stealth Fisha 500 ZMW5911
madyakka
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profishreload/profish400
VHF Call Sign: zmw3022 madyakka

I have free dived at hot water beach (around to the right) got some nice jds
JVT
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.3 - Lime

I did really well there last jan. Headed out of estuary and kept to the right hand side. Once out in front if the flash houses up on the hill drifted out towards middle of bay. Got snapper and trevally. Had a great time, especially as stink boaters we stayed with came up zero most days.
Ocean Kayak - Ultra 4.3 - Lime (Pgrowler)
kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: GT I think...

Thanks for the tips! Ill be sure to report back....

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400
kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Hey bud,
hope all is well, when u heading to cooks? i just came back from 3 weeks there today.
fishing off cooks itself can be hard, its a very very flat sandy bottom, that being said there are good fish taken from there, i know of an 18lber and a 16lber taken over the sand there in the last 2 weeks.
dont forget there is a big marine reserve off to the right (between cooks and hahei), but if your up for a paddle, hahei reef always produces.
I dropped a very good skippy there 3 days ago after a very nice fight :P
plenty of large ocean ky around at the moment too.
Generally i paddle out from the purangi (our house is there), and just head out to mussel rock round by the reserve, then drift back across the sand, generally get a feed, but am yet to catch anything above 12lb there.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;