Tamaki drive

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
SitDown

Over the cooler months, like from now onwards till late winter, early spring... does this area from Okahu bay to Ladies bay still hold fish over these colder months
Its pretty shallow along these reef areas. I've caught some nice fish along these ways around autumn, but am not sure at all, if it fishes over the colder months

Last season, I spent the whole winter season around Narrow Neck, just to see how it goes... of course, it fishes better further north, I've just been stubborn in my ways so I can learn my local grounds.
There has been some very poor fishing sessions & some quite good fish kept along the way.
From my experience, you need to get the tides & moon phase just right so they are fitting in with tide changes around or just after dawn or dusk..... of course there's more to it than what I am saying
Some say, it takes anything up to 2yrs to know & understand how any local area fishes

I am doing the same of the muddy (Manukau)

Any tips would be gladly appreciated... cheers
PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Ladies Bay and around to Browns Island via the reefs off Karaka Bay used to work well for us from the kayaks during winter when we lived in Auckland - and even closer in to St Heliers (we used to tell it like a joke that we caught good snapper within smelling distance of the cooking in the St Heliers restaurants, but it was true).

That was 12-15 years ago now, but I'm sure it's pretty much the same.

My biggest snapper from a kayak at the Ladies Bay end of the reef system was 78cm.
AndrewRawlingson

Definitely fish to be caught in that area. Check out Destin's old posts.
SitDown

Thanks PJay for sharing the intel, I will have a good go at it .... hopefully its not busy with bloody jetskis hooning around aimlessly

AndrewRawlingson yeah mate, I've sussed some of his old posts, cheers