Paddles

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
Badfisherman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:09 pm

Be interested to know what paddles people use. I’ve got a cheap aluminium one and does the job but pretty heavy.

Is there a benefit in fibreglass or carbon for kayak fishing or are they overkill?

stinkyprawn
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:26 am

I Have a carbon paddle

Pro's, its super light cons, it's expensive

carbon is good towards the end of a long day on the water when arms are a bit tired and paddle stroke technique is not in as good form as it was at the start of day. Or when you're slugging it out against the wind & tide.

If you go out reasonably often then I'd seriously consider getting a fiberglass paddle, keep the aluminium as spare.

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:22 pm

Got a 2-pce aluminium as a spare and a DIY cedar greenland (sort of) style one. Never say never but it would have to be a special paddle for me to give up on a self-made wooden one. I wonder what a carbon fibre greenland style paddle would be like. Maybe too stiff?

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:14 pm

kingiFiddler wrote:
I wonder what a carbon fibre Greenland style paddle would be like. Maybe too stiff?
Yes stiff and expensive. My near one dozen western red cedar Greenland paddles are all 800 grm or less.
Efficient and as long as you use your body, not arm bending, to put the power in, as you should, they are very good.

Badfisherman
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:15 pm

I like the idea of making my own paddle. Below 800g is impressive, assumed they would be heavy!

Sounds like a project

kingiFiddler

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Badfisherman wrote:
I like the idea of making my own paddle. Below 800g is impressive, assumed they would be heavy!

Sounds like a project
**Fair Warning** it's addictive, you'll want to make more, and you'll never look at your conventional paddle the same

kingiFiddler

Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:05 pm

Mac50L wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:14 pm
kingiFiddler wrote:
I wonder what a carbon fibre Greenland style paddle would be like. Maybe too stiff?
Yes stiff and expensive. My near one dozen western red cedar Greenland paddles are all 800 grm or less.
Efficient and as long as you use your body, not arm bending, to put the power in, as you should, they are very good.
Thanks. It would make an interesting get together to have a selection of different paddles and of different materials to try out one after the other. Could save many of us heaps of $ or cost some of us a fair bit. Personally, I'd like to compare a few different greenland/aluetian designs in both wood and composite, and also a composite more conventional paddle.

Mac50L

Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:28 pm

kingiFiddler wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:00 pm
Badfisherman wrote:

Sounds like a project
**Fair Warning** it's addictive, you'll want to make more, and you'll never look at your conventional paddle the same
Absolutely correct !!!!!

https://canterburyseakayak.wordpress.co ... -your-own/

Mac50L

Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:37 pm

kingiFiddler wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:05 pm
Could save many of us heaps of $ or cost some of us a fair bit. Personally, I'd like to compare a few different greenland/aluetian designs in both wood and composite, and also a composite more conventional paddle.
The Aleutian paddle has an asymmetrical foil section like an ordinary aircraft wing. The Greenland paddle has a symmetrical foil as you'd find on a stunt plane. The symmetrical foil allows use in any direction and any way up. The paddler sets up the angle of attack required so it gives "lift" in the direction wanted. Easy enough to do.

Usual wood is western red cedar for lightness. From the link above given you will see I use a plank of timber, not a 4" x 2" bulk where half the wood is thrown (cut) away. By gluing the bits in opposite directions from the original grain it adds strength without extra weight. I did make a stiff one with a thin piece of kwila down the centre, really just an experiment. Works OK.

Don't make the edges blunt.

Cost of timber less than $25. Down here BBS timber is a good place to look.

kingiFiddler

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:51 am

Up here, I wouldn't piss on BBS if they were on fire.

TBreezy

Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:27 pm

Aluminium also gets freezing cold on those winter mornings. Carbon does not 8)

Rob
Kayak Model: Aqua 2/Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU6741

Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:21 am

kingiFiddler wrote:Up here, I wouldn't piss on BBS if they were on fire.
I've bought Western Red Cedar from Timspec Ltd (Auckland, Carterton, Christchurch)
The Carterton crew have always pulled out good blanks for me... I've let them know what I want it for.

kingiFiddler

Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:48 pm

Rob wrote:
kingiFiddler wrote:Up here, I wouldn't piss on BBS if they were on fire.
I've bought Western Red Cedar from Timspec Ltd (Auckland, Carterton, Christchurch)
The Carterton crew have always pulled out good blanks for me... I've let them know what I want it for.
Thanks. The WRC I have used in the past also came from Auckland or left-overs from a pergola job. A mate has said I can drop and mill one of his big Jap Cedars (Cryptomeria japonica) this Summer. It's about the same weight as WRC but I've never used it in a paddle. Keen to try though. Really want to Shou Sugi Ban (Japanese method of burning jap cedar timber to preserve it) a paddle made from it and see what happens.

Has anyone used it in a paddle? The few pieces I've played with in the past didn't have as straight/long grain as WRC but seemed plenty strong and lightweight.

Mac50L

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:59 pm

Rob wrote:
With me, "There they are, go for it." and I pull out a heap of 18 mm or 20 mm thick x 90 mm wide and about 220 cm long planks and compare them for grain, the lay of it and straightness.

Rob
Kayak Model: Aqua 2/Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU6741

Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:19 pm

Nice!... it would be good to have a choice... you can't beat being able to fossick for what you want.
They've never offered that to me. I got the impression that they don't want customers wandering around... Health and Safety?
Either that I look to much like a thief.

• Information