Drift Distance

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
TBreezy

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:51 am

Hey everyone.

I know this is probably different for different scenarios, but it would be interesting to know, for those of you that drift fish, what a typical drift looks like.

How long do you usually drift for before you decide to:
a) move to a different area
b) redrift the same line

How much either side of structure or contours are you drifting, if at all?

If you are in an area with little structure, what sort of depth are you paddling to before drifting? Are you searching for sign on the sounder before stopping to drift?

If you do find sign - is it a case of continuing to drift over that one patch, or just keep drifting around the same area?

Thanks! Happy drifting.

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:00 pm

It depends. Always nice to start a drift on fish, but I often start in areas where I think it's highly likely there are fish based on previous experiences or birds etc. As for length of drift, sometimes I'm feeling lazy and just go with it. You often drift off one patch of fish and on to another. At other times, the fish are well localised and you have to keep going back to that same spot. No magic formula I'm afraid. I'll drift in anything from 5 to 100 metres. Don't get too obsessed with structure, 95% of the snapper I catch are over sand.

DocProfit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:06 pm

I'm a lazy drifter, I'll often just do one big drift for 3 hours, then paddle home.

If I find a good spot I'll do multiple drifts over it however.

TBreezy

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:53 pm

That’s awesome, guys. Thanks for the info. I think perhaps I need to do some longer drifts!

DocProfit, you’re out off NN pretty much every day (maybe you took the last week off :D ) I’m picking you start at one end and go with the tide. It’s a hell paddle against that current. On the few occasions I have been out there I have found my drift speed really fast, made a good pass of the channel and not wanted to stop fishing because I’ve either caught sweet FA or just want to stay out. I’m using a chute but the tide doesn’t seem to care if you have a chute or not and before I know it I’ve covered a heap of ground. What kind of distance do you get from a 3 hour drift out there?

• Information