Careless Boats

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
DocProfit
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:08 am

So I was out fishing next to the channel at Narrow Neck on Saturday morning.

The conditions were pretty rough and I was considering heading into the cliffs for a bit more shelter.

From behind I hear the low hum of a diesel engine and I look to see a fishing charter vessel "CYGNET" (I've seen it around the area before) coming towards me a few hundred meters away.

The skipper turns to port and passes me at 30m distance - full throttle.

This vessel kicked up one hell of a wake, that combined with the conditions, crashed over the front of my reload, fish finder, and pretty much soaked me.

This isn't the 1st time shit like that has happened.

It's a great place to fish, but some of the boaties are A-holes.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:52 pm

My pet peeve is boats that continue on a 'potential collision" course - They've seen you, but you don't know that. Doesn't take more than a couple of degrees to make intentions clear, does it?
You'd be surprised how many boats visibly throttle back or change course away from flypast/collision line when they see you have a GoPro strapped to your head!

Some displacement boats do put up a hell of a wake though. Surfed home on one wake on Friday, the source of which was only doing about 4kts sat with him for 12km.

In the SiK, I've taught a few lessons to speedsters in the past - capsizing as the flypast wake hits me and not rolling back up until I hear the motor throttle off as they prepare to go about. Well, okay, maybe 1 out of 5 get worried about the yakker they've flipped, the others carry on their merry way, probably oblivious :?:

Sadly, it is the way of things these days, with minimal enforcement or penalties.
There is a reason why yakkers are colloquially and laughingly referred to as "speed bumps" in the gas-glider fraternity.

Be Safe, it'll only get worse as the weather warms.
.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:01 pm

I use to fish NN a hell of a lot a few years back .You definitely need to keep watch out for boaties . You could report the boat to Auckland Maritime .

Luke 1
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 4.5
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:00 am

Good to meet you the other morning.
Yeah I agree there are quite a few idiots out there on boats. Always pays to stay alert and it's one of the reasons I head in early.

• Information