Land Based Fishing around Auckland Central

General Kayak Fishing Discussions
FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:18 pm

Hey peeps,

So for the time being I am without access to a kayak or car!!! Living in an apartment in the CBD and dependent on buses and taxis.

Just wondering whether I have any easy fishing opportunities around here if I were to get a small rod I can carry on the bus.
If you were living walking distance from Britomart, what would you do to scratch the fishing itch?
Would you eat fish caught around Wynyard Quarter, maybe St Marys Bay or Westhaven?
Or am I better off taking a bus to Orakei?

Would be keen on a wharf rather than the dreaded snagging fishing from rocks.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

SitDown
Kayak Make: Reload

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:00 pm

We used to target the wharves in the far north for JD's
Either with droppers with small live baits or better still, get your softbait set & use your paddle tail softies close in along the piles.
Should be able to do the same down here

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:06 pm

There's an article in the latest Fishing News about fishing off Devonport wharf. Otherwise the Tank Farm and base of the Harbour Bridge seem popular. You could always practice your squid fishing along towards Mission Bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

FatherOfMany

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Yeah, certainly thought about the squid, but apparently I've got about 2 months to wait for them.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

BFIST

Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:07 pm

I saw someone catch an eagle ray off the wharf by the cloud.

The squid will be there now but they will be very small. If you want to get some practice in on the squid start with the smallest jigs you can find.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

dedant
Kayak Make: Jackson Kayaks
Kayak Model: Kraken
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:44 pm

If you need transport, I'm off work for at least another two weeks , free except for physio and doctors appointments, :)

Jackson KRAKEN dedant

FatherOfMany

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:35 pm

BFIST wrote: The squid will be there now but they will be very small. If you want to get some practice in on the squid start with the smallest jigs you can find.
Yip, I think this will be the answer for me. I did remember that people started reporting some catches around March last year, although May is generally considered the start of the squid season.
dedant wrote:If you need transport, I'm off work for at least another two weeks , free except for physio and doctors appointments, :)
Thanks buddy, I appreciate that. Between taxis, buses and trains I should be okay and if it's a bigger outing I can always take a train to Papakura and fetch my car. Appreciate the offer though. Get yourself rested up.
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Hemilynch
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profosh 400

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:35 am

Have you thought about a boat trip? Maybe catch the ferry to rangitoto, motutapu or similar for the day.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

BigDave
Kayak Make: Wavewalk
Kayak Model: W500
VHF Call Sign: zmw5526

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Just don't go on that red boat fishing charter. Beyond awful. I'm keen for squid action when it starts, my 6 y/o got me a fancy squid rig for Xmas.

sent from my phone using an internets
WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526
Yak PB's: Snapper 44cm @ Howick. JD 36cm Sullivans.

Oh, and remember to radio me if you find yourself in a workup.

Casualtyward

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:49 pm

BigDave wrote:Just don't go on that red boat fishing charter. Beyond awful. I'm keen for squid action when it starts, my 6 y/o got me a fancy squid rig for Xmas.

I'm sure the Red Boats must catch fish sometimes - they get a lot of stick, but they fill a niche.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

AndrewRawlingson

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Not sure if I've been on Red Boats or not. If not, then something very similar. It was a pretty soul destroying experience. I don't think a kayak/softbait fisho would enjoy it very much, but each to their own.

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:36 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:Not sure if I've been on Red Boats or not. If not, then something very similar. It was a pretty soul destroying experience. I don't think a kayak/softbait fisho would enjoy it very much, but each to their own.
Never been on one, BUT everytime I see these types of charters they always look pretty terrible...

I did however take Mrs Hainesy out on a recent charter with the team at Wave Dancer....only 6 anglers to boat and plenty of good kingie fishing (they also do snapper trips) .... Obviously more expensive than the Red Boat type charters, but its always a case of getting what you pay for !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

BigDave
Kayak Make: Wavewalk
Kayak Model: W500
VHF Call Sign: zmw5526

Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:29 am

Wave dancer is around 1000 split between the passengers, red boat is 20 on grabone. Wave dancer is a nice little cruiser with knowledgeable skippers who target prize fish at select secret spots and create awesome stories and memories, red boats is a re purposed ferry that anchors in the rangi channel with 30 Asian grandparents and South American backpackers all using a nylon rig on an ugly stick catching each other's gear and ridiculously undersized fish. #notbitteratall

WaveWalk W500
ZMW5526
Yak PB's: Snapper 44cm @ Howick. JD 36cm Sullivans.

Oh, and remember to radio me if you find yourself in a workup.

Casualtyward

Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 am

BigDave wrote:Wave dancer is around 1000 split between the passengers, red boat is 20 on grabone. Wave dancer is a nice little cruiser with knowledgeable skippers who target prize fish at select secret spots and create awesome stories and memories, red boats is a re purposed ferry that anchors in the rangi channel with 30 Asian grandparents and South American backpackers all using a nylon rig on an ugly stick catching each other's gear and ridiculously undersized fish. #notbitteratall

Wavedancer is $1300, divided by a max of 6 people (~$215 per person) + $20 if you borrow their gear. They usually follow workups, targeting the fish underneath. It's an exciting way of fishing, but it's a really big ocean when the workups disappear and there's nothing to target. It's a lot of money if you catch nothing... (speaking from experience)

Red Boats are cheap (especially if they do a voucher), but as you say cram the punters on. Lots of tangles, but nothing a knife doesn't sort out quickly. But in my experience, catch rates tend to be pretty low (but I only need a couple of fish for a feed). They're limited by their slow speed. The skippers are experienced too, going to spots that have produced before.

I'm not saying one's better than the other, more that just because you pay a lot of money doesn't mean you'll catch a lot of fish.

Personally, if I'm doing a charter (and while I love kayaking, I do like someone else to do the paddling occasionally) I usually go middle of the road (~$130). I also avoid daily deal vouchers as well - too many poor trips.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

• Information