Ocean Kayak Gold Rush - Coromandel - Oct 6th & 7th 2012

The Orton Events New Zealand Premier Kayak Fishing Series has five rounds of spectacular fishing located around the North Island, showing off the beautiful and rugged New Zealand coast line. Discuss the events and series in this forum
YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:23 pm

Rusty wrote:Stealth went very well in the wind , and we had some huge wind gusts on the saturday.
seemed to punch through the choppy conditions with ease and still obtaining good speed.
It was very nice down wind catching a few runners and made paddling easy and fun.

got caught one time having trouble turning when i got myself in a very sideways position ( found that when i was not paddling and had just pulled the drouge in i would naturally driftsideways to the wind and need to get some speed up before i could turn quickly )
I soon adjusted my techniqe and was much better later in the day.

so yes stealth was fantastic and i am in :inlove: (did not catch any big fish but some nice pannies so fish for dinner tonight)
Very nice indeed..have found the same resuilts with my stealth as well excellent in the rough conditions as well with speed to burn on the afterburners and rideing down the waves great fun :lol:.. Atleast you got your dinner sorted hard to beat a good feed of fresh snapper fillets with a salad still trying to sort mine :lol:..

STRAY DOG
Kayak Make: OCEAN KAYAK,viking
Kayak Model: PROWLER4.3,4.1 ,pro fish 440
VHF Call Sign: stray dog

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Hey rusty how did ya get the ducklings too all stay in line :tmi: and good to catch up with ya

catfish
Kayak Make: prowler
Kayak Model: ultra
VHF Call Sign: zmt9173

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:51 am

Hey Rusty, I like the look of the new ride. Great that you carried the flames through. But as for posting photos of ducklings on a fishing site???? Very metrosexual.

Rusty
Kayak Model: Profisha 575
VHF Call Sign: ZMW2773

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:33 am

ducks were the closest things to fish i got all weekend :lol:

apart from three baracudas
Everyone is a genius.

But if you judge a fish
on its ability to climb a tree.
it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:35 am

Rusty wrote:ducks were the closest things to fish i got all weekend :lol:

...well, my best catch on Sat was a rabbit.....with my Captiva spooled with Bridgestones :lol: :lol: ...so wanted to scrape it up and take it to the weigh in !!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

murf
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:40 am

Weather, tide, fishing gear, safety equipment, sun protection, bait, charged fish finder battery - it's really important to get your 'ducks in a row' before going fishing. :?:

Rusty
Kayak Model: Profisha 575
VHF Call Sign: ZMW2773

Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:28 pm

yes had all that just no spot X :lol:
Everyone is a genius.

But if you judge a fish
on its ability to climb a tree.
it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

WaikatoYakka
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Hainesy wrote:

...well, my best catch on Sat was a rabbit.....with my Captiva spooled with Bridgestones :lol: :lol: ...so wanted to scrape it up and take it to the weigh in !!
I think that the Rabbit in question would be approx 14km's/25 minutes from Sandy bay? when I saw it, it looked like it'd been hit about 50 times :rofl:
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

lenzman

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:01 pm

Good to meet you over the weekend Rusty, the new ride looks great :y: and I am sure the flames have a lot to do with the speed :P .
If I'm not fishing I'm taking photographs, if I'm not taking photographs I'm fishing!!

Hainesy

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:22 pm

WaikatoYakka wrote:
Hainesy wrote:

I think that the Rabbit in question would be approx 14km's/25 minutes from Sandy bay? when I saw it, it looked like it'd been hit about 50 times :rofl:
...on the way into Colville....you must have seen his brother !

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

jolly dodger
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 440
VHF Call Sign: jolly dodger

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:05 pm

Great Trip weather was a bit :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: but been out in worse would like to say great meeting all you fellow yak fishers beautiful part of the country great spots but cant say i was to impressed with the competition organisation, prizes were a bit lame not a lot of joy with the kumara sorry justin true story will be fishing coromandel again but not in a ORTON event .
pb

lenzman

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:41 am

jolly dodger wrote:Great Trip weather was a bit :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: but been out in worse would like to say great meeting all you fellow yak fishers beautiful part of the country great spots but cant say i was to impressed with the competition organisation, prizes were a bit lame not a lot of joy with the kumara sorry justin true story will be fishing coromandel again but not in a ORTON event .
I am not defending or condeming Justin for the prizes but putting it in perspective the series is yet but young with 101 competitors this year. There were 3 major prizes $2000 for the biggest Snapper and two kayaks, plus some minor prizes and of course the Kumara. I am sure that the more support Justin gets for the comps then the more sponsorship in the way of good prizes will be made available.

I had a great time, awesome location, great team of guys and a deserved winner in local Rob Fort. Looking forward to next year. :o: :o:
If I'm not fishing I'm taking photographs, if I'm not taking photographs I'm fishing!!

Hainesy

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:01 am

lenzman wrote:
jolly dodger wrote:Great Trip weather was a bit :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: but been out in worse would like to say great meeting all you fellow yak fishers beautiful part of the country great spots but cant say i was to impressed with the competition organisation, prizes were a bit lame not a lot of joy with the kumara sorry justin true story will be fishing coromandel again but not in a ORTON event .
I am not defending or condeming Justin for the prizes but putting it in perspective the series is yet but young with 101 competitors this year. There were 3 major prizes $2000 for the biggest Snapper and two kayaks, plus some minor prizes and of course the Kumara. I am sure that the more support Justin gets for the comps then the more sponsorship in the way of good prizes will be made available.

I had a great time, awesome location, great team of guys and a deserved winner in local Rob Fort. Looking forward to next year. :o: :o:
:y: ..well said Lenzman...think you're on the money with your comments..the events are "young" and it takes as many of us to participate to help them grow !

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

STRAY DOG
Kayak Make: OCEAN KAYAK,viking
Kayak Model: PROWLER4.3,4.1 ,pro fish 440
VHF Call Sign: stray dog

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:03 am

Hainesy wrote:
lenzman wrote:

:y: ..well said Lenzman...think you're on the money with your comments..the events are "young" and it takes as many of us to participate to help them grow !

I agree too but if some one :!: has more to offer please do stand up

nzimp
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:17 am

I might add that the major prizes were no secret before the event :!:

Early bird fee was pretty reasonable and like Lenzman said a young event. Everything has to start somewhere. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and knowing the organisers they will have done everything they could to get the best out of the sponsors possible. They would also value people speaking their mind so no issues there.
The prize cost on the street would have eclipsed the money bought in from the competitors so I am pretty stoked. The kumara made it a bit of fun for me and meant lots went home with something to cook with the fish.
I was pretty stoked with my bag of goodies considering the fishing for the weekend. About$100 worth at retail. :y: and I only just snuck into the rankings.
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:01 am

I’m not into comps personally, but seems a bit harsh given this event (and it is a specific niche) is only in its second(?) year.

NZ doesn’t have easy access to the international pool of sponsors like a lot of countries, and let’s face it – a bag of kumara, that’s just classic Kiwiana :lol:

There were ±100 entrants (up from 80 last year), which only gives about a $6k working fund, $2000 of which went to heaviest snapper.
$4k doesn’t cover a lot of incidentals these days.

Now, would you have posted the same if you’d picked up one of the big three prizes I wonder?

Good on Justin for stepping up to the mark and providing another competition opportunity for Kiwi fishos. :y:

HLD
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:55 am

Yup like has been said this is a very young event and has a lot a potential to grow and improve. Bear in mind the level of entrants when harassing the prize pool. Sponsors don't just throw money around at the moment and things are tough for a lot of people so considering that there on the right track. Your not going to see an event with 100 entrants running $200000 in prizes anywhere. and if you did the entry fee would be massive and very elitist based. Fine, like all comps there is some fine tuning to be done but the same could be said for most comps including the large ones.

All I can say is for the sponsorship side of things and the prize pools, Watch this space. and or alternatively put your hand up. dig into those pockets and throw some love on it as well.

Its hard to please em all, but as long as the Majority are pleased then mission accomplished.
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

arpie
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Sport

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:17 am

Hi guys

A HUGE thank you to Justin for putting on such a terrific Competition & all the hard work that goes along with securing sponsorship etc - a job well done! Oh yeah - I LOVE KUMARA! :)........ it was also a pleasure to stay with Susan and the girls at Omaru Bay, too! Many thanks.

What a blast!! (Literally!) I had a brilliant time at the Gold Rush (except for that CRAP weather on Sat .......) where we all nearly got blasted off the water!! :(

I went out with Rob Fort on the Wed (my first offshore fishing outing) and scored a nice john dory first up, then 6 snapper 50cm to the tail & a kawahai - so VERY happy with that.

Fri, I did the Invitational & landed 2 nice snapps on tiny bream lures to 54cm (tail again) and a smaller one about 30cm & another kawahai ....... and believe it or not, if I'd brought the small snap in instead of letting it go ...... I would have taken out the ladies event!! :o As it is, Shelley won it, so all was good anyway! That'll teach me to read the rules & find out how many fish to weigh in! :$

Sat ...... couldn't catch a cold to save my life ...... then in the middle of that torrential downpour I hooked the monster from hell!!! It just took line & more line & Rob had advised me to 'enjoy the moment and let it run if it wants to .....' and then it went 'PING' & it was gone! :devil: I screamed some foul language, re-rigged & hoped his mates were still out there, but no .......

Sun ....... went off Omaru Bay to the mussel farms - should have followed Dave ^& Aaron across to the far one, but dummy me went to the close one .... and promptly got into the shit! Nearly lost my paddle, nearly broke a rod, dropped one over board but got it back ..... oh dear! What a mess! |( Got home safely tho, as it blew up there too.

Congratulations to Justin for a great event - it all went very smoothly - it was just a shame about the weather.

I Stayed with Justin for most of the week & enjoyed staying with his young family. I Thought the Prize Giving was great! I LOVE THE KUMARA!!! YUM!! It will become the 'catch cry' of the comp in years to come, I reckon!! :D

Some awesome fish were weighed in! Well done to Rob for his Big Snap & Kingie! I met up with so many great paddlers - itgreat to chat with you all & just have fun out there on the water.

I was really pleased with the way I handled the conditions, given that I've never been in such rough (some would call it crap) conditions in my life before ...... and I was having a blast out there!! It is my intention to come back & try again ....... hopefully Taranaki ..... time & finances will tell!!

I will add pics when I can ...... my friend's computer is a bit antique & he is on dial up, so I don't want to use up his $$

Cheerio for now ......... I'll be back!!!

Roberta
Last edited by arpie on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adventure before Dementia!

<'))))<

catfish
Kayak Make: prowler
Kayak Model: ultra
VHF Call Sign: zmt9173

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:32 am

Yep, Roberta, gotta read those rules. Besides, my biggest snap was 55 cm that day and it was bigger than yours. So there girl.
To all those reading this post, this chick is one tough woman. Not many people know this, but she suffers from arthritis, and so it was a big challenge. She also tends to paddle in rivers and estuaries in Ozzie, so good one her for getting out there.

ship
Kayak Make: STEALTH
Kayak Model: EVO 465

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:23 pm

After winning kumara at the bridge to cape competition myself not only did I find this damn funny but also tasty :D the kumaras are here to stay :y:
STEALTH EVOLUTION 465[/co

Return to “NZ Kayak Fishing Series - Orton Events”

• Information