Bridge to Cape Kayak & Sup Winter Fishing Challenge

The Orton Events New Zealand Premier Kayak Fishing Series has five rounds of spectacular fishing located around the North Island, showing off the beautiful and rugged New Zealand coast line. Discuss the events and series in this forum
Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Nearly finished filleting fish , washing rods , yak and trailer and all the other bits :whew:

Just wanted to say , the other great thing about these comps is the fact you get meet so many other kayak fisherman from around the country . Although i didnt get to chat to everyone it was great to put faces to otherwise website forum names like meeting some of the Naki legends like Wonderboy , Nakiman , and Yaket and co .
It was also good to see some the leading kayak brands there also :y:

Cheers KK :)

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:23 pm

Kingfish killer wrote:It was also good to see some the leading kayak brands there also :y:

A nice new Green one I guess. Did it get any blood on it????
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

Kingfish killer

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

GBC wrote:
Kingfish killer wrote:It was also good to see some the leading kayak brands there also :y:

A nice new Green one I guess. Did it get any blood on it????
Nope i didnt want to dirty it ! Used my old prowler 13 for the comp .
I could of picked it up last week but decided againest it .
I get my hands on her tomorrow :inlove:

Hooky
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5
VHF Call Sign: N/A

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:07 pm

Was great to put the boat in the water in the Northland area - first time for me... Based in Matapouri as it was a family affair and it seemed like a good idea at the time!

Fishing was pretty hard for me.. Spent time up and down the coast between sandy / whale bay and a drift south towards Tutukaka. Soft baiting / burley on reef with some freshly caught ky slap and even tried pink 4" gigging grubs. leather Jacket things loved them and I felt those little teeth stripping them on just about every cast!

Managed a decent snapper by my normal standards on Saturday and came back with nothing on the Sunday - had 6am starts on both days. popped into weigh in on Saturday and saw the winning fish - was a monster and good to see a big one in the flesh.... I caught fish that I don't even know the name of and thought I was onto a winner early Saturday but was gutted to get a big flash of silver and teeth - if it was a Barracuda comp - I might have won as it was big and it was a bit of a horror show as it came to the surface. Popped into the weigh in late on Sunday with the crew in tow but never really had the chance to say gidday to anybody apart from a Naki lad at the bar - said it was fish central up north, further north than me...

Was rewarded on Sunday though, about 10am - pod of Orca cruising up the coast between Tutukaka - heading North. Was a great experience but veiwed from a distance as they passed - was a bit spooked as I was solo and had not seen anybody for about three hours!

That brings me to my next point - time to join a club and tag along with some of the boys from the forum.... Next time cyber invites go out - I will be keen to join a a group heading out!

Back to the Northern Motorway tomorrow and Work :puke:

Cheers Justin for a organising this event - next time mrs is staying at home though.....

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:34 pm

Sounds like you, and everybody else had a great time...dont be afraid to stick your hand up whenever you see a bunch of the guys heading out !!...fastest way to meet new "like minded friends" and learn new things !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Nakiman
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Had a great time and thanks very much to the organizers and sponsors.
Great to finally put a face to some on the forum and i would guess that we were first to be tagged by the Drunken Monkeys :lol:

However I do apologize to any Welly boys that I have given grief to about Wellington being the windiest hole in NZ. I now believe Cape KariKari is :lol:

Winter less North - you guys are comedians :rofl:

Be keen to give it another crack next year :y:

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

Kingfish killer

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:27 pm

Great to finally put a face to some on the forum and i would guess that we were first to be tagged by the Drunken Monkeys

Actually i think you Naki boys were the last ones to get monkeyed !

Nakiman
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:38 pm

Kingfish killer wrote:Great to finally put a face to some on the forum and i would guess that we were first to be tagged by the Drunken Monkeys

There was a sticker on one of the yaks when we left Shamus on Thursday :?: - was shamus on your payrole :lol:

PB's off yak-snapper 25.29lb, shark 210cm, stingray 130cm, trevally 3.5kg, octopus 110cm, blue cod 1.1kg, Kahawai 3.35kg, gurnard 1.12 kg, crayfish 3.5kg, kingi 9.6kg, 5.2kg tuna, 1.1 kg terakihi, squid 800, JD 500m

Kingfish killer

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:21 pm

Nakiman wrote:
Kingfish killer wrote:Great to finally put a face to some on the forum and i would guess that we were first to be tagged by the Drunken Monkeys

There was a sticker on one of the yaks when we left Shamus on Thursday :?: - was shamus on your payrole :lol:
Arhh i see ... well Shamus was the 4th member of the drunken monkeys ;)

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:40 pm

I've found three monkeys so far :lol:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Kingfish killer

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:43 pm

Mental wrote:I've found three monkeys so far :lol:
You might have to take something off to find the 4th :lol:

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:57 pm

Kingfish killer wrote:
Mental wrote:I've found three monkeys so far :lol:
You might have to take something off to find the 4th :lol:
Well I know who I should give a bunch of KFNZ stickers to next year... :lol:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Hooky
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5
VHF Call Sign: N/A

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:37 am

Hainesy wrote:Sounds like you, and everybody else had a great time...dont be afraid to stick your hand up whenever you see a bunch of the guys heading out !!...fastest way to meet new "like minded friends" and learn new things !
I will next time there is something happening and I can dodge my Daddy Day care duties....

Think this weekend I will be pushing my luck though....

Wondaboy

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:40 pm

Had a great time paddling Matai bay, not so much of the fishing :@ Beautiful part of the country, crystal clear warm water, white sand beach. Reminds me of being back home in Dunedin :lol: Will definitly be back, if not for the fishing but the majestic scenery :inlove:

Big ups to Orty, Shamus and all sponsors for a great comp :clap: And especially a big thanks to the good folk who supplied me my new winter project the RTM K-Largo :y: Watch this space....

Wondaboy out! :rock:

Orty
Kayak Make: oceankayak
Kayak Model: prolwler

Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:51 am

Hi Guys,

Just like to say a big thankyou to all that entered and to all the others for your support before, during and after, this competition.

Thanks to all of you who travelled from far away, like those from the Naki and Tauranga. We will be returning the support you have shown us, watch out!

It has been a fantastic event to organise and you guys have certainly made it a very memorable experience. It was great to put faces to names and handles (even though some of you are not the best to look at after a couple of days on the water :) )

Big thanks must go to all the Sponsors, especially Phil and the team from Seahorse/RTM, The Onerahi Tavern for the venue and providing free meals at the Prizegiving, Rob Fort for his extensive assortment of prizes and fishing trip aboard the MV Taiho, Kirsty from Bite fishing for all the lures etc and Onerahi Superliquor.

A big thankyou must also go to Shamus from KayakPro for all of his support, input and for being the MC at the prizegiving.

Here are the results;

Heaviest Snapper;

1st 8.6kgs Peter Michael
2nd 7.0kgs Trevor Waldon
3rd 6.6kgs Mark Nijssen
4th 6.35kgs Shane Findlay
5th 5.5kgs Ray Healey
6th 5.45kgs David Leatherby
7th 5.15kgs Lyndon Cox
8th 5.0kgs Grant Montague
9th 4.9kgs Jason Clendon
10th 4.6kgs Simon Carter

Ladies;

1st 5.2kgs Bev Santalucia
2nd 4.7kgs Aileen Michael
3rd 2.25kgs Josaphine Edwards
4th 0.9kgs Rhonda Edwards

Team Trophy;

1st combined total of 56.55kgs Kumara Munchers (Grant Montague, Simon Carter, David Leatherby, Trevor Waldon)

Individual Combined Weight;

1st 22.2kgs Mark Nijssen

Average Weight; (total weight of fish weighed divided by total number of fish weighed in)

1st 3.6kgs Chris Watt

Early Bird Prize;

David Jones

Stand Up Paddle Board;

1st 2.25kgs Shamus

Congratulations to all the winners and competitors, I look forward to seeing all at the next event...........wait for it................The first round of the "National Kayak Fishing Championships" A new thread will be started with all the details on it when they are finalised. As it stands currently, the first round will be held in the Coromandel on the 1st and 2nd of October. This will be competed for over a number of events culminating in the finals at the next Bridge to Cape mid next year!!!

Cheers

Orty

RTMKayaks
Kayak Make: RTM
Kayak Model: Tempo

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:17 pm

I'm been finding moneys everywhere - they must be planning on being a major sponsor for next year.

We are glad everyone enjoyed the comp.
When Shamus approached us with the idea we felt it would work, and it did.:y:

We are looking forward to being involved next year and helping to make it bigger and better.

Thanks for coming and enjoying yourselves. :rofl: :clap: :hai:
RTM Performance Fishing Kayaks
- Available from
http://www.Seahorse.net.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best catches
Nothing of note!!!

RTMKayaks
Kayak Make: RTM
Kayak Model: Tempo

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Does anyone have any good photos I could publish on the Seahorse website to help promote this contest.
Thanks
RTM Performance Fishing Kayaks
- Available from
http://www.Seahorse.net.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best catches
Nothing of note!!!

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:42 am

RTMKayaks wrote:I'm been finding moneys everywhere - they must be planning on being a major sponsor for next year.
You should have left the money in your wallet rather than leave it lying around
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

Milkey
Kayak Model: Reload

Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:25 am

GBC wrote:
RTMKayaks wrote:I'm been finding moneys everywhere - they must be planning on being a major sponsor for next year.
You should have left the money in your wallet rather than leave it lying around
Wee typo me thinks. Has to be finding "monkeys" everywhere :D
https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaMilkey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Orty
Kayak Make: oceankayak
Kayak Model: prolwler

Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks Phil for finding money everywhere will contact you soon :clap: :rofl:

Cheers Orty

Return to “NZ Kayak Fishing Series - Orton Events”

• Information