View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
berlying down south 

Post berlying down south
I have been keen to find a painless way to berley. I normally don't bother but I figure every experienced fisherman on the planet can't be wrong. So, what are people using for berley and how do they set it up. I was thinking of freezing berley in an onion bag and putting the bag in a yoghurt little or similar.

You can't catch a fish from the couch

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:36 pm

Post Re: berlying down south
it doesn't matter were you fish just remember to tie on the burly with a light brake away just incase the man in the grey suit visit's its not much fun getting him tangled in your burly bag attached to your kayak :tmi: been their it causes a change your undies experience :sweat: ive fished lots of places ive found that you have to match your method to your depth end target

boom like that

Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:58 pm

Mate, I wish I knew the answer to this... I seem to be useless at burlying, but as you say, so many successful fisherman can't be wrong.

One of my saddest experiences involving burly to date: I bought a 5kg bag of salmon burly and at Papa Aroha in Coromandel I put it out, but weren't getting any bites. After a while I saw a small number of birds diving a distance away from me, so I paddled on over, only to find the frozen mass of burly drifting around. Worried about the grey suits, I had not tied it to the kayak well enough and it must have come undone at some point. And I just remembered that the exact same thing happened at Narrow Neck as well.

I find it messy and clumsy - especially getting my fishing line wrapped around the burly line. I probably need to fish with some other people more often and watch what they do.

----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=63cm, J.D.=39cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:18 pm

kinas are a safe bet every thing loves them and they don't bring the attention of the likes of salmon burly anchored in the shallows under like 15m cant go wrong

boom like that

Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:57 pm

If you could ask your local fishmonger or fish n chip shop, they seem more than obliging to give their fish guts and scrap - for free!! Grind the scrap and bones in a mincer and mix with oats.

Kahawai guts and scrap seem to be plentiful. If you can get your hands on it give it a whirl.

I made a flash PVC berley bomb and dropped it to the bottom while out fishing. I didn't pay much attention to my drift and it soon became stuck on a rock nearly taking me and my yak under.

Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks guys. I hadn't though about sharks and burley. I was going to tie it to my anchor rope but I might reconsider that approach.

You can't catch a fish from the couch

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:40 pm

after trying quite a few berly setups (and loosing more than 1) i have finally found 1 i will be sticking with. bought some nylon mesh (the kind they use for cray pots) and cable tied it down the side and round the bottom. Bent up a ring of rebar and cable tied that in for weight then put a draw string loop at the top. It packs down to almost nothing, and the string can be stored inside.

as for burly i have an electric wood chipper that i opened the branch feed hole up a bit on, cod frames and baracouta go in and buckets of burly come out :) I have then been chopping the top off fizzy 1.5l bottles, filling with the chipper paste and freezing. if i want a slow burly i can put the bottle in the mesh bag, if i want it more agressive then i can take the bottle off.

mesh bag doesnt seem to snag on anything, and the fish pick it clean so no stinkyness like i found with onion sacks / chicken wire bags.

can post some photos if you want.

Daniel
Karitane based and happy to travel a bit for some good fishing.
- 0220664711 - https://www.facebook.com/groups/dunedinkayakfishing/

Wed May 18, 2016 7:09 pm

If anchoring try pig pellets from one of the rural supply stores, cheap per kilo, no mess, no sharks. Or try some of the dry berley bombs that some fishing shops sell.

Wed May 18, 2016 8:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ] 

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:39 am