Otago Habour Salmon - 8th or 9th December

Southland region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Jezza
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: JEZZA

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:54 pm

Anyone keen to meet up on one of these dates post your interest here.

I was hoping to launch from the Marina by Forsyth Stadium around 9am to troll up past Ravensbourne then back down the channel to the basin. maybe stop and softbait a few spots along the way.

Preferred tackle will be Big silver tickers around 48g+ off a heavy trace.

my Cell is 0220990974.

Jez
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 am

Im in for the 8th (cant do the 9th) - weather (and wife/finances) depending ...

Not looking forward to the drive home already :doh:
For all the fishing methods, tips, and tricks out there, the most important is that the hook is wet ...

Jezza

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:16 pm

Yeah the drive home is never fun, My kayak seems to be very difficult to paddel in the wind, so one day i had to put in a lot of work, I was so tired by the time i got back to the car that i just sat there for an hour dreading the drive back.

Ill be sure to come down your way at some point, get into some of those big Oreti searunners :)

If the wind is not ideal on the 8th we can find better shelter at the Taieri Mouth up through the gorge.

Jez

Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:27 pm

my mate whom i was going to help shift house: "Nah go chase some fish mate, we got plenty of hands for this"
wife (Japanese former sushi chef): "yeah, just bring some salmon home"
finances: bills all paid, should be good
weather: living in the southern quarter of New Zealand ... who f*****g knows?

might talk to a couple of workmates who may be keen to bring their little boat up as well - will make the drive home easier
For all the fishing methods, tips, and tricks out there, the most important is that the hook is wet ...

poodle
Kayak Model: scrambler xt

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:26 pm

would love to as soon as I get my christmas present... I'll see what I can do.
You can't catch a fish from the couch

Jezza

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:35 pm

thats gold Jez,

yeah, lots of guys out in small boats trolling tickers and paravaines, they are the sucessfull ones at the moment, still small numbers being caught at the moment, but im hearing good stories of 20lb+ fishing being caught, so thats a good sign.

I lost a small one (under 10lb) softbaiting off the wharfe last week, caught a heap of Baracuda too.

it will be interesting trying to land one in a kayak, apparantly a guy caught a 19lber in his kayak recently and took an hour to land it.

cant wait!

Jez

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:30 pm

got my bro coming up also, hes borrowing a surf ski so may struggle to get a fishing line out ... ie no rod holders ... any ideas how to overcome that?

poodle

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:25 am

use a hand line?

Jezza

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:33 pm

rod holders are cheap and easy to install. $30 tops. Or find some way to secure a pvc pipe as a rod holder.

it will be necessary to have a secure rod holder or some way to keep your rod up, secure and out of the way of paddling, the idea being to drag a heavy silver ticker behind us up the shipping canal.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/kayaks- ... 027767.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Celebre
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: Beachcomber
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6867

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:09 am

There is a post here somewhere (HLD will know) of how to troll using your pdf as a rod holder. (Basically stuff the rod down that back of your pdf) It does work, I have used it. Not the most comfortable. How stable is the ski for playing or landing the hooked fish?

nzimp
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Definitely on my to do list. Have fun guys and let us know how you get on. :y:
Simple is as simple does.
http://www.wkfc.org.nz

Stealth EVO 495
Viking 2+1
Prowler 4.7 (back in the fleet)

Jezza

Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:02 pm

OK, time to confirm some details.

Saturday 8 December
Meeting point: Forsyth Stadium Carpark

Launch Time: 9AM (high tide is 12pm)

Launch Location: Otago Yacht Club (Magnet Street)

------------------------------------------------

I have discussed with some local anglers who have given salmon a go on the kayak, seems trolling is going to be hard work in the canal with all the rowers at the moment, we can give it a go, but it looks like softbaiting will be our best option driftin down the shipping canal around the river mouth.

So make sure you have a good softbaiting setup for using 3 to 5" minnows and 1/8 and 1/4 oz jig heads, going too light on your gear will mean plenty of skunkings with the cuda that are in abundance right now.

I would recommend 12-15lb braid with 15 - 20lb leader.

have 40 - 80gram silver lures on standbuy if the canal is not to busy.

or if you dont feel like softbaiting, spinning with silver lures should also offer a good chance at a big silver salmon.

-------------------------------------------------

my number is 0220990974 if you have further questions, or pm me.
Attachments
meeting point.JPG
meeting point.JPG (93.77 KiB) Viewed 3033 times

Jez

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:42 pm

My brother and I will be hitting the road from Invers at 6am ... provided he gets organised in time

2 rods for trolling, 2 rods for softbaiting/spinning, and my fly rod for a little bit of fun after we have a feed in the chilly bin ...

Jezza

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Jez wrote:My brother and I will be hitting the road from Invers at 6am ... provided he gets organised in time

2 rods for trolling, 2 rods for softbaiting/spinning, and my fly rod for a little bit of fun after we have a feed in the chilly bin ...

I like your optimisim,

Ill be stoked if i catch one salmon, so far i have hooked and lost just the one.

cuda will be fun regardless, and the odd blue cod might show up.

it wont be worth fishing much past 2 or 3 pm once the tide goes out, I have a few nice rivers and streams near by holding some big dirty browns if you want to get your fly line wet.

poodle

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:49 pm

noy many blue cod in the harbour although someone pulled out a snapper recently!!!!! That NEVER EVER happens. Cuda are fun and tasty

Jezza

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:55 pm

poodle wrote:noy many blue cod in the harbour although someone pulled out a snapper recently!!!!! That NEVER EVER happens. Cuda are fun and tasty
There are a few cod holes scattered around the harbour, nothing special but always something.

Snapper!... Otago Harbour?!

cant be true, I heard a rumor of a snapper caught in Port Chalmers back in 96 or 97, turned out to be a big fat lie.

I wouldnt be overly supprised tho, waters are warmer every year.

I caught a Kahwai in Taieri Mouth on saturday, they are chasing the mullet at the moment. that was a plesant suprise.

poodle

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:24 pm

they are so much fun. It would be nice to think that south island schools are coming back. Just so long as we can convince commercial fishers that they are no good for anything.

Jezza

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Lets hope the wind and rain holds tomorrow! cant wait to get the Kayak out again.

I have a good variety of softbaits to try out, and a new Shimano Waxwing. Time to land some early season salmon! Lots of promising reports of 20lb salmon being caught at the moment.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:05 pm

Good luck on the Salmon guys - I'd swap Snapper 3:1 for Salmon any day ;(
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Jez

Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Can't wait .. .weather looks good enough for me and my bro, but we come from a bit further south where 10k winds and light rain sounds positively tropical ... heading out now to load up the car so we can just roll out of bed and onto the road bright and early tomorrow ...

• Information