17 /18th Feb

Hawkes Baydiscussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:06 pm

On the long range forecast the weather is looking good at .5m swell and light winds.
Certainly going to keep an eye on it this week and if it changes closer to the date. Will be doing a Tongoio mission again probably targeting gurnard, Perhaps another Kingfish ? anything can happen out there. Keen to see some others out that way too it's a great spot.

Cheers
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
15.1kg Yellowtail Kingfish - Tongoio Beach
3.1kg Snapper - Oraka Beach Mahia
3.2kg Kahawai - Napier Port
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
1.3kg Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia
1.3kg John Dory - Taranaki Port
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay

hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:56 pm

I have had the last 2 days off , and fished out of the port both mornings . Thursday was a good day. About 15 large Jack Mackerel, a good sized gurnard , and a snapper, who had swallowed the hook, and would not have survived my surgery. He was 25cm. I berleyed , and used anchovies as bait . A good day , with most of the mackerel being caught on a hand line . No KY which was odd.
Today however was a completely different day , I lost one big KY,and got a small gurnard , both on the stray line. I paddled right out to Pania, and on my way back met another kayak fisher, who had run out of bait . I gave him some anchovies because I had tons of them. He, by the way had been reeling in plenty of KY, but when he swapped to my anchovies the fishing died!
We did a test run with KY on one hook & anchovy on the other . The KY won out every time, It was fresh, and nothing wanted to touch the anchovies, which I know have been frozen for a long time, but did the business the day before! Fishing is a mystery,eh! Water a warm 20 degrees , clear , would be good diving , but I'm working .... Have a productive weekend .

• Information