Blue Cod surprise

Hawkes Baydiscussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

On the odd day when the weather gods and days off work coincide there is some magic time to be had paddling in Hawkes Bay. So on a chilly but fine,windless day I ventured out to my favourite spot on the second green bouy of the shipping channel at the Port of Napier. Locals will know this spot as maybe somewhat lean , but safe solo paddling, and on this particular day, a chunky swell dictated that it would be hard work !
Feeling lazy and with good clear sea conditions in close I chose to drift fish over very shallow foul ground. At times fishing in only 2m of water, I hug ged the shore, relishing the flat ,clear ,calm.
Using salted mackerel, and 4/0 hooks on a ledger rig, you can imagine my surprise at a solid Blue Cod, of takeable size ! I hung around for half an hour looking for the rest of his family but it was all over . one strike, one fish. Made my day ! Lunch ,you may ask? Yep ,fried in butter on wholemeal toast, with a Stables sauvignon blanc. , within an hour of being caught .That's what fishing is about for me !
Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Sounds similar to when I did the same thing in 2015 but even closer to shore. Where are you launching from at the moment Herman ? The port had blocked the beach & ramp I thought?
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Kayak PB's
15.10kg Kingfish - Tangoio Beach
10.25kg Snapper - Tangoio Beach
7.44kg Albacore Tuna - Port Taranaki
3.20kg Kahawai - Port Napier
2.70kg Rainbow Trout - Lake Taupo
2.20kg Blue Cod- Tata Beach Golden Bay
2.15kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
2.10kg John Dory Port Taranaki
1.40kg Tarakihi - Waimarama Beach
1.21kg Gurnard - Tangoio Beach
Stinky inky
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3

"That's what fishing is about for me !"

yup aint that the truth
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
Babylonian proverb
So fish more you will live longer....

Viking Reload Red
Ocean kayak 4.3 GREEN
Cobra FnD