Port Bout Ramp Closure

Hawkes Baydiscussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
hermodo
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.1 ultra
VHF Call Sign: -

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:50 am

Today I launched at the ramp at the Port , enjoyed my morning ,landing a couple of high spirited KY, but was disappointed to note that the boat ramp will close on the 30th of November.
The notice, for all to see, states that increased traffic volume has made the area unsafe and for everyones safety, the ramp will close . The ramp is on Port owned land , so no-one can really contest this decision.
I'm hugely disappointed . When I work out the most effective form of protest I will be making my views known.
In the meantime , the Napier boating community, not just kayakers, will need to launch elsewhere, and this puts more stress on the limited launching spots in the bay.
I realise that the Port is a commercial enterprise, and does not need the publics blessing to operate, however I see it as a slight to the community that they do not consider recreational boating in their planning, and that for the sake of a few car parks, they can put us in a compromised position. The area has recently been redeveloped, with no consideration for the community, without whom the Port wouldn't even exist .

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:10 am

Just rock up and go fishing, with 3 blokes filming your every movement, so the Port won't talk to you :)
VALKOHAI
Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

Stealthmode
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMX7967

Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:23 pm

That's an bullcrap excuse
Sure its busy but until there are actual issues and not some H&S person trying to justify there job it should remain open
That's about the only safe place to launch kayaks to get out quickly
Wont even bother if i have to paddle from the iron pot

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Mission Catch 390
Viking Reload

ZMX7967

Epicskwid
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:14 pm

They have slowly been edging closer and closer. even the last time they put in new carparks. there is a new wharf going in which i don't exactly agree with since they will dredge out a shit ton of fish nurseries along with making the water vis even worse. The only hope is that we get some parking near breakwater beach to enable us to still launch from the area.

PS Caught a nice gurnard and a bunch of kahawai up at Tongoio on sunday.
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Kayak PB's
15.10kg Kingfish - Tangoio Beach
10.20kg Snapper - Tangoio Beach
3.20kg Kahawai - Napier Port
2.20kg Blue Cod- Tata Beach Golden Bay
2.15kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
2.10kg John Dory Taranaki Port
1.40kg Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia
1.21kg Gurnard - Tangoio Beach
20kg Thresher Shark- Urenui Beach

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:08 pm

What about contacting the Authority and asking for their Risk Assessment (or whatever) justification for closing access.
As long as their reasoning can be logically and, importantly, unemotionally countered, then they should reconsider.
Aim for a 'Community Benefit at Large' target.

Post any response here and we can collectively add to a submission.

But as previously mentioned, it is on private and commercial land, so no obligation on their part. Like a lot of access around the country, potential H&S liability for any injury on their land has probably got them running scared.

Best of luck
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Delicatessen

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:04 am

Has anyone raised any concerns to them yet?

I was thinking we could take the angle of safety - launching from the iron pot area is far more unsafe for kayakers and small boat users due to the dramatic increase in traffic (compared to the port ramp) in a fairly narrow channel.

At the very least it's going to annoy the boats; they already have enough hazards to look out for coming in there. Accidents are a very real possibility though - a much greater risk than the 'increased traffic' they're talking about.

Maybe we could petition for a personnel gate to the ramp? I presume the carpark will stay open.

Epicskwid
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:47 pm

Delicatessen wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:04 am
Has anyone raised any concerns to them yet?

Maybe we could petition for a personnel gate to the ramp? I presume the carpark will stay open.
I'm fairly certain the whole lot is going to be converted into a new shipping wharf which they will need the space for.
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Kayak PB's
15.10kg Kingfish - Tangoio Beach
10.20kg Snapper - Tangoio Beach
3.20kg Kahawai - Napier Port
2.20kg Blue Cod- Tata Beach Golden Bay
2.15kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
2.10kg John Dory Taranaki Port
1.40kg Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia
1.21kg Gurnard - Tangoio Beach
20kg Thresher Shark- Urenui Beach

• Information