View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Whats goin ' on ? 

Post Whats goin ' on ?
Last week one of the Pania surfcasting boys caught a kingfish off the beach at Awatoto ! Yes it was Caine Wrigglesworth, one of the top rated surfcasters in the bay , maybe the country , but what's a kingi doing there in the first place ? Furthermore , there are kings' being caught further out too , and , wait theres more ,..... Reports of snapper off Waimarama . What's goin' on I ask?
At the National Aquarium the oceanarium is 17 degrees. Somewhat warmer than the sea because it isn't exposed to weather , but none the less, warm for this time of year. So in Hawkes bay it's unseasonally warm.
A recent discussion I had with Richard Robinson , a well known underwater photographer who lives north of Auckland indicates quite the opposite in northern waters, and several of his projects have been stalled because this year, apparently , the warm currents and the tropical fish they deliver have been lacking! So, in an attempt to prompt a midwinter media frenzy , I put the question to you once more .
Whats goin' on .........?

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Post Re: Whats goin ' on ?
All of the cyclones we had come through could have something to do with it. They are still catching marlin in the far north.

Haven't managed to get out on the water since early may. Today was a good day for it. but it's been a busy week for us in the whiting clan. Looks like a nice day for it tomorrow too maybe i'll have a go out there somewhere if i can be organised enough. My plan for the next few months is to target some different species. Blue Moki is one i want to tick off.

Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.4kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
35cm Trevally - Te Awanga
Est 30kg Thresher Shark Released - Urenui

Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Post Re: Whats goin ' on ?
yeah ,I got out there yesterday, just for a paddle in my "toy boat", conditions were really good.
Moki has been on my surfcasting list for some time . Last winter I got a couple of undersize ones but have yet to crack that 40cm limit. They are weed & shellfish eaters , preferring the colder water , and reef areas . I have seen numerous Moki caught on the town reef , mostly at dusk.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ] 

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:40 am