Fisheries officers

The Waikato Kayak Fishing Club forum for club and member discussions
Fishless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Fishless

Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:37 pm

Looked at launching at manu bay today, couple of fisheries officers came along and started to chat, saw a few boats come in and had a look and then the the last boat while I was there came in.

Small riverboat almost on the point of sinking it was so overloaded with people, 8 Indian guys on board you could almost see the fisheries guys light up.

Right enough, 3 undersized kingies wouldn't even bother to measure they were so small (60's) 8 undersized snapper 20-30cm.

Was a few boaties hanging around by then, lots of murmering about holing their boat etc, normally not a violent person but to be honest I wouldn't have stopped them.

Went away with a fine and a warning as no rego or warrent on trailer (not sure they could do anything as not police).

Anyway nice to see the fisheries guys out there doing the job, wish we had more, but a shame we need them!

To top it all the swell was beyond me so ist came home again, never worth the risk.
Personal Bests

Snapper - 64 cm
Kingfish - 110cm 17kg
Kahawai - 57 cm

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:38 pm

Fishless wrote:Went away with a fine and a warning as no rego or warrent on trailer (not sure they could do anything as not police).
Anyway nice to see the fisheries guys out there doing the job,
P!sses me off, what's the point in having HFO's if they haven't got a big enough stick.
Saw it up here few years ago, a group of [the usual suspects] systematically working their way along the beach carrying buckets of Pipi back to the cars and returning for more.
Someone had already phoned it in and when the HFO arrived, usual story "No spek Englis".
The buckets were tipped back into the sea and a warning given, pointless if they (apparently) couldn't understand.
The HFO waited until they had all driven off before leaving, but as I headed out 20min later, two of the cars were on their way back to probably re-collect the Pipis.
I called them in to 0800 poacher, but as I hadn't witnessed the reoffending they couldn't do anything.

I trust the angry locals who witnessed the first take and were still hanging around explained it to them in a way that transcended language difficulties.

More HFO's, with more clout needed.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

AndrewRawlingson

Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:02 pm

Makes my blood boil. I can't watch Coastwatch for this reason! I wish protecting this valuable and unique fishery was taken seriously :(

Fishless
VHF Call Sign: Fishless

Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:32 pm

Start on a new reef system in my opinion, start with every twat caught with undersized fish, they'll soon realise the cost, unfortunately it wouldn't stop the shellfish teams.
Personal Bests

Snapper - 64 cm
Kingfish - 110cm 17kg
Kahawai - 57 cm

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:25 am

Hmmm its a hard one to understand aye, the little smack on the hand never seems to be a deterrent :|

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:39 pm

..... And if I was a betting man, I'd say that there quite a few "repeat offenders " as well !

against da wind
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: ZMR2510 Seaka

Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:51 am

The F/G Rangers carry cards that are in different languages to help in communicating. I picked up a guy ,no license 2 rods being fished. When I seized his gear and issued him with an infringement notice, all I got was, no understand no English. After I had left the same guy approached the owners of the adjacent property I had been working on. To see if they could get me to return his rods. English was perfect and a lot of fibs told as well. When he wrote in a letter to F/G explaining about the incident, his writing and grammar was excellent. F/G compliance talked to him over the Phone and then again good English. He had forgotten about telling me, No understand, no English. Field notes, don't you just love it.

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:25 am

Well, I've just learnt that not speaking English means that you can ignore the laws of the land. I'll remember that next time I get pulled over for speeding!

• Information